Eng Ext1 (1 Viewer)

Striker

so how are you people who are doing english extension 1 finding it? easy? fun?

i seriously regret not doing it. i chose math ext1 instead of eng ext1. :( i'm stupid! and i ended dropping math ext1 at beginning of this year!!

Greg

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
Melbourne, or as it shoulda, could, woulda been ca
HSC
I actually really like the course, if not the class ( we spend most of the time getting angry at each other and throwing desks around) Its great to go to a class were people enjoy english and actually want to be ther and dont ask 'whats a metaphor' and 'wha text are we doing now' every lesson.
Actually, i am the oposite of you, i droped maths altogether to do 4 unit english and i dont regret it at all ( i am finding it very difficult not to say sucked in or at least laugh but i will resist the urge..):)

dissonance

yeah I did the same thing as you smegger_em....I have to say that I really love not doing any maths and at least ext. 2 english is fun most of the time...

ext. 1 english is pretty good though, we do "retreat from the global". I think it's nice to really only have to focus on one core topic during the whole year rather then all the crap associated with adv. english.

when i think about it my ext. 1 class is just my adv. class minus about maybe 5 people. We have the same teacher as well...

Striker

rub it in why don't you... hahaha.. just kidding! :D

yeah my school made me choose to do either math ext1 or eng ext1 in year 11. i chose math ext1 which i ended up dropping this year! :p like i said, i regret doing that. i'm not really a maths type of person, more of an english person!

so you only focus on 1 core subject only in ext1? damn, that must be good! i am getting bored in adv eng even though there is only 9 of us in the class. hmm...

dissonance

our school made you choose between the two? That seems pretty wierd to me. Actually at my school if you took adv. english in year 11 they made it compulsory for you to take ext. 1 english and then drop it if you wanted to in year 12.

and yeah, you only focus on one core subject although you do have to study 3 different texts that relate to it...its probably not quite as much work as ext.1 maths I guess since that is scaled a little bit higher...

Striker

yep they made me choose either math ext1 or eng ext1. damn them.... :mad:

it was because if i did both i would have 14 units and there was no way i would drop any other subject! they thought 14 was too much to cope with, and i think it was kinda my fault since i i opened my big mouth and said i wasn't on planning anything in year 12, so they gave me an ultimatum! either math ext1 or eng ext1.

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
Striker, you only have 9 people in your advanced class? Whys that?
And to make you feel better you should know that its impossible to do 14 units at our school, they have stuctured the time table so you can't AND we have to do compulsary Stuides of Religion!

Striker

Originally posted by smegger_em
Striker, you only have 9 people in your advanced class? Whys that?
And to make you feel better you should know that its impossible to do 14 units at our school, they have stuctured the time table so you can't AND we have to do compulsary Stuides of Religion!
yep we only got 9 people in our eng adv class! there is roughly about 40 people in year 12 at our school and about 280-290 in the whole school! actually there was more people doing advanced but they dropped down to standard because they didn't think the extra work was worth it, and they wanted to concentrate on other subjects more.

and it is possible for me to do 14 units. we get every monday off, but since i do IT at TAFE then i have half off my monday off! so i could do 12 units at school, plus 2 more units counting the TAFE course! and i'd still get 4 free periods every week cuz math ext1 was scheduled at lunchtimes, and english ext1 were zero periods, or i could of chosen to do some of my ext1 classes on the monday morning before tafe!

as for the school making me choose, it was mainly the deputy principal:mad: , my year advisor was fine with it!

Striker

hahahaha!! :) :) :p :) :)

luckily that deputy principal left at the worst time though! he stayed till half way of year 11, i think just to say no to my 14 units, then left!

our new deputy principal is now our english advanced teacher! he's pretty cool! except for his marking, he's a harsh marker! :eek:

shinsetsu

Harsh marking is good for you, don't worry ^_^

Well, if i can add my two cents... HSC Ext1 English is fairly demanding. I mean, in yr11 i really flew through it with ease... but this year im fighting for a lot of marks to stay on top. I think it's because there's a lot of information, extra research, supplementary material... it doesn't feel like english for me anymore ^_^

I only realised Ext1 English was time consuming in this year. But i still like english, so im still staying alive with it ^_^ I also do Ext1 Math ^_^ Im actually starting to like math more than english these days... but both subjects require a lot of attention ~_~;;

Ext1 isn't easy... nor is it too fun, but it is interesting ^_^ However, i really feel for you in the way that your school forced you to chose between two things you may have wanted to do at the same time. *hugz* I wanted to do French, but it ran into my Engineering lines....

Well, Striker~san, do your best to be your best ^_^

take care,

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
Shinsetsu, what is your class doing? we are doing crime fiction and i have actually really enjoyed reading from a genre i wouldnt usually and havent found it too demanding but i guess it depends on the individual.
Oh, and you enjoy maths moer then english?! You are a crazy type person who is crazy!

shinsetsu

Im doing The Individual and Society ^_^
I never said i didn't find it interesting, it's just that the work load for this is kind of tough for me... the work itself isn't bad though. And the thing i liked about The Individual and Society is that there is a good focus on romance texts... i love romance! One can never get enough of Pride and Prejudice ^_^ The reason why i enjoyed my yr11 course was because of the Romance elective (i think it was an elective... 0_o)

Im studying 19th century society... english is more or like a history lesson, where the only english part is the essays... wait a minute, that's still history ^_~ Really, there is a lot of research involved my module, because it is based on a solid historical context. However, i do find it interesting, and i relish the creative tasks when we get them for assessments.

About the math thing... well... being the only student in my school studying ext1 english and ext1 math.... it feels like both of my teachers are trying to convince me to take sides in one or the other ^_^ I never really liked math, yet i want to become a civil engineer ^_^ I only started liking it now, because of how much i've improved. It seems the beauty of math is that you work magic within such defined rules and boundaries. However in english, especially in ext1 and 2, the love of it comes from working with no boundaries at all....

I just believe that one's life should remain in balance ^_^ However, it is because of a class thing, why i slightly favour math over english. You can say that my ext1 class is a little monotonous, that's why... but the discussions are very involving ^_^

I'm not really crazy ^_^ I'm an individual in this very small ext1 society which is this thread ^_~

take care,

sif not 99

i get what u say about enjoying 3unit maths more than 3unit english. English can be full of hassles with getting your head around those concepts and doing that extra research. Maths is always there and is just right or wrong, you dont really need to think that much if you know your work, does that make sense?

3unit English hardest thing was getting to know my elective and what it actually means "postmodernism". After doing that, class was really really basic, well easy =)

Maths and English both have a lot to offer so its all good =)

sean_bouy

first post yay!

yeshhh im doing ext1 maths and ext1 english, id have to say i like maths a bit better, pretty much cause its not on at 7;15 in the morning like ext english is hahaha, but yeh, for me both of them are really intersting

Mercurial

I used to do ext maths as well. But i dropped it cuz it was gay.

I dun like eng much better but i think its a more enjoyable as it presents greater opportunities to express personal ideas. Like, u can add your 2 cents in wateva.

btw, wat texts r u guys studying?

Mercurial

Has any1 found any supplementry matterial (apart from study guides) for crime fiction? At all??

Where can u get them?

smegger_em

Clever Cookie
HSC
Form and Ideology int Crime Fiction - Stephen Knight
It is like my bible, i love it. Its actually no longer in print, suprisingly it wasntselling so well, but you should be able to find it in a decent library.

You should also ready The Simple Art of Murdre by Raymond Chandler, not just for TheBig Sleep, it has great comments about the development of CF, especially hard boiled.

I also found a great book on Agatha Christie, The Art of her Crimes, talking about the covers of all her books. It actually is really interesting and has a lot of gret thoughs about Soft-boiled.

Hope that helps

Em

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)