English Advanced (1 Viewer)

stormii

HSC
Hey guys I need help for English advanced. I’m going into year 12 next term and I need helpppp🥲
My prelim and past test have been bad. However I am passing but just barely. I don’t know how to prepare or study for it and am considering to drop to standard or find a tutor. However I heard some people regret. Please help me by giving any tips on studying and preparing. I feel I still have that potential but my work is not really paying off just allowing me to pass. Please help!

HSC
I’d recommend getting a tutor, but something I swear by in English is reading. Read books, they don’t need to be obscure or complex, find books that entertain you or genres you like and read. Critically, draw out connections and infer meanings from techniques. Write on what you read, and get comfortable with interpreting texts.

stormii

HSC
I’d recommend getting a tutor, but something I swear by in English is reading. Read books, they don’t need to be obscure or complex, find books that entertain you or genres you like and read. Critically, draw out connections and infer meanings from techniques. Write on what you read, and get comfortable with interpreting texts.
Thank youuu
Are there any particular books you think are helpful or you’ve read?

jeetp

HSC
Try to find and read exemplar essays written on or about your prescribed text. For example, I read exemplar essays I found on StuDocu on 1984, not only does it provide you with deeper meaning into your prescribed text it also shows you how band 6 students structure their essays and the type of vocabulary they use.

HSC
Thank youuu
Are there any particular books you think are helpful or you’ve read?
Right now, I’m rereading Dostoevsky’s ‘Crime and Punishment’, great book I recommend. I’m really into Classic Greek & Roman literature, as well as Russian and Shakespeare at the moment.

Some authors I recommend are:
Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, Osamu Dazai, Oscar Wilde, Sylvia Platy, George Orwell.

But all in all, the best books are the ones you find interesting and challenge your perspective!

stormii

HSC
Hey guys how can you study and prepare for hsc economics, given that there are so many new statistics?
Right now, I’m rereading Dostoevsky’s ‘Crime and Punishment’, great book I recommend. I’m really into Classic Greek & Roman literature, as well as Russian and Shakespeare at the moment.

Leo Tolstoy, Jane Austen, Osamu Dazai, Oscar Wilde, Sylvia Platy, George Orwell.

But all in all, the best books are the ones you find interesting and challenge your perspective!
tha

thank you!

stormii

HSC
Try to find and read exemplar essays written on or about your prescribed text. For example, I read exemplar essays I found on StuDocu on 1984, not only does it provide you with deeper meaning into your prescribed text it also shows you how band 6 students structure their essays and the type of vocabulary they use.
thank you!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys I need help for English advanced. I’m going into year 12 next term and I need helpppp🥲
My prelim and past test have been bad. However I am passing but just barely. I don’t know how to prepare or study for it and am considering to drop to standard or find a tutor. However I heard some people regret. Please help me by giving any tips on studying and preparing. I feel I still have that potential but my work is not really paying off just allowing me to pass. Please help!
I never read books hence my vocabulary was very basic/simple so my essays didn't sound that nice. Also I memorised quotes rather than essays and just spammed the essay question after every quote+analysis and it somehow worked (luck subject tbh).

Also you don't need to have a very good vocabulary to do good in English, mine was very basic. Just make sure your essay flows well, follow the basic structures for body paragraphs, i.e.:

- Topic sentence (Introduce theme and link to question)
- Quote + Analysis relating to paragraph's theme + Link to question (for comparison texts I did 4 paragraphs x 3 quotes so 2 themes being compared, for 1 text like poems, I did 3 paragraphs x 4 quotes so 3 themes)
- Concluding sentence (summarise theme + link to question)

For creative writing I just memorised it and wrote it word for word every exam.

SUMMARY - I was memorising essays and feedback was always "didn't answer the question well enough" so I got mad and memorised quotes only and literally spammed the essay question after every quote and SOMEHOW WORKED. Try reflect on the feedback you've gotten on your essays and see how to improve.

USEFUL NOTE - ask the top students to read their essays to get a feel of the structure/flow of a good essay. I tried this but my vocabulary was too trash to replicate the good essays but it helps!

HSC
I never read books hence my vocabulary was very basic/simple so my essays didn't sound that nice. Also I memorised quotes rather than essays and just spammed the essay question after every quote+analysis and it somehow worked (luck subject tbh).

Also you don't need to have a very good vocabulary to do good in English, mine was very basic. Just make sure your essay flows well, follow the basic structures for body paragraphs, i.e.:

- Quote + Analysis relating to paragraph's theme + Link to question (for comparison texts I did 4 paragraphs x 3 quotes so 2 themes being compared, for 1 text like poems, I did 3 paragraphs x 4 quotes so 3 themes)

SUMMARY - I was memorising essays and feedback was always "didn't answer the question well enough" so I got mad and memorised quotes only and literally spammed the essay question after every quote and SOMEHOW WORKED. Try reflect on the feedback you've gotten on your essays and see how to improve.

USEFUL NOTE - ask the top students to read their essays to get a feel of the structure/flow of a good essay. I tried this but my vocabulary was too trash to replicate the good essays but it helps!
For me, gaining an extensive vocabulary was a great benefit to reading. But as you said, one of the most important things in essays is structure, something you should be focused on is practicing writing to ensure your paragraphs are clear and effective. Another tip to improve your vocabulary without reading books is learning a new word every day and applying to a sentence. Super helpful imo 🤞

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
For me, gaining an extensive vocabulary was a great benefit to reading. But as you said, one of the most important things in essays is structure, something you should be focused on is practicing writing to ensure your paragraphs are clear and effective. Another tip to improve your vocabulary without reading books is learning a new word every day and applying to a sentence. Super helpful imo 🤞
Nah I definitely agree that having a better vocabulary helps with your marks, I think I needed it to get into the 95 range for english. But yeah then again I feel like some people get too bogged down on trying to make their essay sound nice when the actual structure + analysis is the issue. I guess both are definitely useful to implement into an essay.

stormii

HSC

Thank you so so much!!!!

stormii

HSC
Thank you!

stormii

HSC
Nah I definitely agree that having a better vocabulary helps with your marks, I think I needed it to get into the 95 range for english. But yeah then again I feel like some people get too bogged down on trying to make their essay sound nice when the actual structure + analysis is the issue. I guess both are definitely useful to implement into an essay.
Yes I agree with you, I feel like essay writing requires both but also better and unique analysis and clearer sentencing. Thank u!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)