Here are my marks so far:

Mathematics: 95% 4/35
3u Maths: 75% 4/10
Business Studies 90% 1/21
Economics 96% 1/10 --pretty soft tests though
Information Technology VET 93% 1/17 --ditto
and
English Advanced 67% 20/57

Now, my english marks arent likely to get a whole lot better, and im aiming for at least 95 but 97 to be safe for commerce at usyd, unsw or mq

my question is, how much will my marks be brought down by my relatively poor performance in english which is compulsorily counted in the uai?

oh, and i go to one of the better non-selective, non-private schools in nsw

cheers everyone, and good luck

Last edited:

pri

HSC
N/A
oh they could hurt your UAI, I think they might bring it down to early 90s if your not careful from now on, however on the bright side, if you improve dramtically for the exam the Board will up the english marks, at least thats what I heard (if you have a difference of >15)

D

d00d

yeah i'm in the same situation as you... english drags really bad even if u get 80 as your HSC mark... the only thing u can do about it is try to improve...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
have your english assessments been hard?
are your essay skills up to scratch? u kno, because u can improve a lot for the HSC exam. To maximise your english mark, try to practice as many essays u can on each of your module, until u fully understand every element, because u'll find from year to year, questions will change, but what u have to write about to answer these questions never change

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
A low english mark will drag your UAI down, but you're lucky, because the English HSC exam is the easiest to fudge, even if you have no idea what you're doing. Have a look at how those with high marks answered the questions to get a few ideas (have a look at the nglish Standards package if you can't get someone to show your their essay), and write a practice essay for each questions. Get your teachers to read it and tell you where you can improve, and keep tweaking it until you're happy with it, and you're basically set! English questions are disgustingly predictable, and you can usually just shape a generic essay to suit the question or text type, so if you've got a kick-arse essay up your sleeve already, you're in with a good shot.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
In the actual HSC exam, concentrate on the easy parts where a LOT of people make mistakes (paper 1). If you can learn to make your answers clear and concise you can get a good mark in this section without too much blood/sweat/tears.

As for essays.. write lots of them.

marko

thanks a lot everyone, i guess now it's just a matter of getting motivated to study hard for it and put in the hours writing essays :(

the assessments have mostly been essays with the question given 2 wks in advance.. but the half-yearly with the paper modelled on the real hsc style and still got around 70%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)