English Ext 1 IRP Task canonical text suggestions? (1 Viewer)

notneccesarily

HSC
Hey guys,

I recently received an English IRP Task notification. It's a massive task that's gonna span over two terms and its already quite overwhelming but perhaps what's bothering me the most is CHOOSING A TEXT!!!

This text has to be written from 1900s and must be a canonical text. The definition to canonical is pretty loose here, any classic text counts. Furthermore, I will have to find two modern representations of this text. This doesn't have to be the text exactly but it must reflect the same values and critical theory. Then I must make links between the manifestations of the text and the original text and present this in a portfolio.

From what I can see, choosing the right canonical text is pretty important as its the base for the whole assessment task. I'm putting a lot of research into finding the right text but I thought I'd ask here as well for some suggestions. I personally really like horror and thriller novels but I'd be open to any other texts as long as they are interesting and have modern manifestations.

Thanks in advance to everyone who drops a suggestion!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I would suggest using Journey to the End of the Night (Voyage au bout de la nuit) by Louis-Ferdinand Céline (1932). Below is a brief summary of this novel:

Bardamu enlists in the army by chance and discovers the horror of the First World War, but befriends Robinson, his brother in arms. Wounded, then discharged, he frequents a few women of low status (Lola, Musyne) then leaves France for Africa.

A modern representation of this text is the film Journey to the End of the Night (2006), which is directed by Eric Eason.

Additionally, you may use the film All Quiet on the Western Front (1979), directed by Delbert Mann to reflect a modern representation of Céline's novel. A more modern edition of this film is intended to be released this year, although the exact release date seems uncertain, meaning that this year's film may not be compatible with your assessment task in terms of time feasibility. You may wish to regularly monitor for updates on the release of All Quiet on the Western Front (2022) if you intend to use this film.

Alternatively, another suggestion would be to use the original All Quiet on the Western Front, a novel by Erich Maria Remarque (1929). Subsequently, you can choose two modern representations of this text and use them as you please. All Quiet on the Western Front offers the benefit of multiple modern representations in different forms, including:
  • Film
  • Music
  • Radio
  • Audiobooks
  • Comics
Specific examples of each form can be found using the following link:

Below is a brief summary of this novel:

All Quiet on the Western Front tells the story of a group of young Germans who enlist in World War I after being captivated by slogans of patriotism and honour. The young men soon learn that the romanticised version of war that was described to them is nothing like the battlefields they encounter.

I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)