English Ext 1 Predictions/Thoughts (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hey yallll,

what do you think the paper is gonna be like this year? Personally, I think the content is better and more interesting than advanced - probably cuz the texts are better and theres less content lol. But I'm really hoping for a good essay question. I feel like I can bs the literary worlds section - but if the essay question throws me off, im basically screwed lmaooo.

anyways tell me how y'all are going and what you think the essay is gonna be about. do you think they'll go general or specific questions for each elective?

TheVuk

HSC
hey yallll,

what do you think the paper is gonna be like this year? Personally, I think the content is better and more interesting than advanced - probably cuz the texts are better and theres less content lol. But I'm really hoping for a good essay question. I feel like I can bs the literary worlds section - but if the essay question throws me off, im basically screwed lmaooo.

anyways tell me how y'all are going and what you think the essay is gonna be about. do you think they'll go general or specific questions for each elective?
Which elective do U have

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
hey yallll,

As long as you know your authors' contexts, a holistic understanding of your texts with some supporting quotations, are able to entwine in some literary theory in a sophisticated manner, you'll be fine with any question they throw at us. From general observation they really don't tend to deviate question-wise from year to year, so it'll be context-based no doubt (for Worlds of Upheaval at least)... Don't quote me on it though.
No point fretting over the specifics of the potential questions, just go in with the above knowledge and you'll be absolutely fine. W/ that being said imo it's pretty challenging to bs the literary worlds section

Also, is anyone preparing for the ever so slight possibility that the NESA folk are sadistic this year & ask for two related texts? I've got Beckett's Breath under my sleeve if it somehow happens. It's 134 words of stage directions which is nice: https://www.slowwritinglab.nl/couch/uploads/file/breath.pdf

mikrokosmos

HSC
As long as you know your authors' contexts, a holistic understanding of your texts with some supporting quotations, are able to entwine in some literary theory in a sophisticated manner, you'll be fine with any question they throw at us. From general observation they really don't tend to deviate question-wise from year to year, so it'll be context-based no doubt (for Worlds of Upheaval at least)... Don't quote me on it though.
No point fretting over the specifics of the potential questions, just go in with the above knowledge and you'll be absolutely fine. W/ that being said imo it's pretty challenging to bs the literary worlds section

Also, is anyone preparing for the ever so slight possibility that the NESA folk are sadistic this year & ask for two related texts? I've got Beckett's Breath under my sleeve if it somehow happens. It's 134 words of stage directions which is nice: https://www.slowwritinglab.nl/couch/uploads/file/breath.pdf
Yeah, my biggest fear is a question requiring two related texts, like how much depth can you really go into?

for literary worlds I have some lines to use and techniques based on form, genre, movement etc. and an essay structure for the chance of a critical response

I’m still struggling with essay structure for Worlds of Upheaval, though. Anyone have any tips? I would appreciate it heaps.

also I’ve read Beckett’s Breath! How would you analyse it in relation to your texts?

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
Yeah, my biggest fear is a question requiring two related texts, like how much depth can you really go into?
It wouldn't make any sense if they warranted two related texts tbh. That means they would have to axe a prescribed? Or have four texts? Both would be ridiculous...

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
I’m still struggling with essay structure for Worlds of Upheaval, though. Anyone have any tips? I would appreciate it heaps
This probably ain't too helpful but I'd say there isn't really any discernible structure for WoU. Some folks might discuss individual texts in separate paragraphs, others synthesize throughout, some have both individual analysis and synthesis... Doesn't really matter - as long as you are responding to the criteria, anything within reason works I think.

HSC
N/A
This probably ain't too helpful but I'd say there isn't really any discernible structure for WoU. Some folks might discuss individual texts in separate paragraphs, others synthesize throughout, some have both individual analysis and synthesis... Doesn't really matter - as long as you are responding to the criteria, anything within reason works I think.
yeah absolutely agree with this^^^ i think essay structure is flexible - it’s more so the analysis that’s more important

stupidpersonlol

HSC
i feel like eng ext is so much easier than advanced- but literary worlds could be so random

HSC
N/A

wait is literary theory important?? my school literally never went over it rip and i keep hearing people on this website talk about it and it freaks me out

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
wait is literary theory important?? my school literally never went over it rip and i keep hearing people on this website talk about it and it freaks me out
Don't get freaked out - No, it's not crucial, but I think it's great to integrate. And no, It's not as ambiguous as it's portrayed... If you have great analysis to compensate you'll be fine, but honestly, a wee bit of research and application won't hurt, only help. It can be as simple as a couple of sentences textually pinpointing where the literary theory is applied. Take it as a technique for a text holistically I would say

TheVuk

HSC
Boys I'm fucked coz I have chemistry the day before I got a shitty list of quotes and I know the basic context and themes of each but I'm not gonna have time to write practice paragraphs and shit

stupidpersonlol

HSC
What do yall think would be lit worlds this year? Critical or imaginative?

may22

HSC
Also, is anyone preparing for the ever so slight possibility that the NESA folk are sadistic this year & ask for two related texts?
I'm class of '22, but I had to have 2 related texts for my prelims...I assumed HSC was generally like that too? 😅 🤷‍♀️

may22

HSC
I’m still struggling with essay structure for Worlds of Upheaval, though. Anyone have any tips? I would appreciate it heaps.
Just started Worlds of Upheaval!
An essay structure that I found really cohesive and adaptable for extension: (in the case of 2 related texts)

Intro
Texts 1 + 2
Texts 2 + 3
Texts 3 + 4
Link back with Texts 4 +1
Conclusion

Essentially, you end up comparing each text with two other texts throughout the essay, but it has a linear sort-of approach

hatterene

HSC
my school told us it's best rather not to integrate critical theory because people tag it on and don't do it effectively but my tutor told me that it's almost necessary to integrate in but you must do it well.

vivillon

HSC
Wait they can ask for TWO related? Is this very likely to happen? I only remember doing it for my prelims but never for year 12...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)