English For Study Question - Good or Bad? (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
I know, I know.... everyone who did the English for study question is complaining about how unfair the question was. Nothing in the question is relevant to studying strategies.

So ....It wasted our time studying for the whole module.....
No one was expected this question. And that is the good side of it.

Why? well, this prevented people from writing down learned essays down in the exam paper. In the 2002 HSC notes from the marking center, the examiner found that a large number of students are memorising essays and write them down to prevent the obstacle of running out of time. This is the MAIN reason why we have to suffer this year, as they are trying to come up with a question that is completely different and new to previous years so that some students will not provide a learned essay. This is a method to distinguish between students.

So there is always another side to the story. Post and give a thought.

william

HSC
agree, it test how well your english skill, not test how well your teacher is and how well you can find good essays and memorise them

Ferrero

well, i would say the essay question was absolutely unfair for every single esl student because it did not test what we had learned. we spent the whole year studying this freaking module but eventually our abilities of comprehension and learning skills had not yet been proved and justified. i was really disappointed. what you just said about testing the so called 'real ability' was ridiculous at this stage. it's misleading. have you ever thought about what the current year 12 students would think? '7/24 slog is useless, 'we' just need a bit of luck at the end of the year.' if they(BOS) don't want the people memorising the essays brainlessly, then just say that and contrive a new section in the hsc paper, otherwise it might destroy their motivation completely. we should pay respect to those nerds who can memorise tons of genres of essays in order to touch down in the hsc.
remember 'get what you pay.'

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Well it's all over. Can't complain anymore but to wait and see what happens when the results come out.

ToRnaDo

HSC
yeahh ..it is really unfair for the students who studied English For Study. I hope i can get a pass mark for that module :-(. For sure we all wasted the time to study for that module...and it is really bad for our mark to compare with other students who studied Working in Community or somthing like that ..i cant remember! :-(.

piccaninny

invisible
HSC
i did working and living in the comunity, i have to admit it it was the easiest of all parts. we needed to write the aplication for work. i thing anyone can do it without studying the module.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)