English... (1 Viewer)

HSC
Im in year 11 rn and im doing eng ext. Somehow my extension mark and ranking is significantly better than my advanced (im currently 4th in extension but like 30th in advanced). I feel like the marking is extremely inconsistent and somehow different teachers want different things even though its double marked (note that this is only for hand ins). Also this is making me anxious because my for our school in year 12 we have 2 submission tasks and 1 in class exam (excluding trials and hsc). Anyone have any tips as to how I can improve english advanced submissions for year 12? Do I really need to get a tutor for these submission tasks?

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it’s more useful to know what you’re averaging for each subject rather than ranks just because you may be getting an average of 90 for advanced but be 30th rank while in ext 1 you’re averaging 85 but with a smaller group you rank 4th.

HSC
Yea so currently for english extension im at about 90% and for english advanced about 82% so not the best right now

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea so currently for english extension im at about 90% and for english advanced about 82% so not the best right now
Hmm fair enough. For the discrepancies between mark and subjects it’s hard to distinguish the reason why but here are a few reasons.
1) Teachers have a larger sample space of papers to mark in adv which means more likely to gauge what is considered an extremely good essay and what isn’t
2) Ext 1 texts are more tailored to you. I say this from personal experience (Math ext 2 was at times way easier than math ext 1)
3) You just got unlucky and had 2 teachers who don’t really like your style of writing

Edit: Also don’t be afraid to ask your teachers why you lost marks or did poorly in your essays.

As for tuition, I think it’s always a good idea to have someone giving advice and reading your work. Make sure for tuition you aren’t just learning the text is but actually learning how to answer the question within your analysis in the essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)