Entertainment Band 6 Cut off?? (1 Viewer)

minzoir

HSC
Hey guys, I know this section of the forum gets very little tender loving care, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a roughish estimate of the band 6 cut off for VET entertainment? Since there are no textbooks available and not heaps of people in the course I was wondering if it would be significantly lower than other subjects.

And if it were lower, do you think that the markers would be more lenient with the marking? Especially on the extended responses?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I don't think it is much lower. I got mid 80's when I did it, and that was still only a band 5.

minzoir

HSC
Oh wow, thanks for the fast reply man.
Actually, yeah thinking about it I don't think it would be much different. The head marker came to our school to do a study day and she said that up until a few years ago (i think it was 08?) no one had ever gotten a band 6.
Any way, thanks for the response man.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I did in 08, and I heard it was something like 3 people that got a band 6 in prior years.

minzoir

HSC
Really? Oh wow, 3 people is minuscule. Did you study hard for your band 5? It's just that the only way to study is to do the past papers and study the information on the hsc-online website. (http://hsc.csu.edu.au/entertain/).
I'm just trying to gage how prepared I should feel to get a band 5 or 6 in the external. I got 84 in mid course and 86 in trial, but I think most of it is being able to write well in the extended response. Plus, a lot of the extended response relates to business studies, which is my favourite course so I had an advantage over my classmates because non of them do Business Studies. Like, half of the syllabus is from the business services vet course.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I didn't really study much for it. My Entertainment Exam was the same time as MX1, so that was the one I studied more for. With those marks you should be fine.

Go over the past papers, they're a great source of the types of question you'll receive. Apart from that, I recommend learning 'what to do in X situation' information. i.e What to do if a mic stops working, what to do if there is a trip hazard, what to do if a big event needs to be organised etc.

bouncingfire

HSC
What would be the expected length for a band 6 extended response?

Is it worth writing in report style like business studies?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Report format would be all right. I can't remember what an average response length would be though.

minzoir

HSC
It's only a 2 hour exam, but it has 2 extended response sections. I guess the mc and short answer are pretty easy and it's the extended responses that separate the band 6's from everyone else.

minzoir

HSC
Also, does our teacher still submit the internal ranks from the midcourse and trials? Because I know that our mark consists of 100% externals.. but the ranks from trials and mids are still used in aligning and mark allocation, etc. ?

Tavin

HSC
No. Like you said, 100% externals, I think.

minzoir

HSC
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
What I intended to say was:
I know they do not submit the marks per say, but do they still submit the ranks?

EDIT:
I think I just answered my question as I wrote this.
Of course they don't submit ranks.
It's based entirely on the final exam.
Damn, I have just lost all the solace of my 1st rank in Entertainment...
:(

minzoir

HSC
Just letting other lurkers know about this years results:
My friends entertainment teacher told her that only 2% of all entertainment students scored a band 6 in 2011.
That's close to the percentage of band 6's in standard eng (and you hear how hard it is to get one in standard english)
Pretty crazy stuff, anywho, good luck to 2012 hsc'ers!

floydo

HSC
My friends entertainment teacher told her that only 2% of all entertainment students scored a band 6 in 2011.
Holy Crap! is this true?? We have quite a thriving cohort of Entertainment Students at our school, considering it is the only VET subject the school does. One of the students in 2011 got 3rd in the state, and the rest did pretty averagely. So that is an interesting indicator. The problem with Entertainment is it seems like a pushover with all the basic stuff thats involved, but actually, the exam is harder than it looks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)