Epilating Question (1 Viewer)

jooobl

crazy cat lady
HSC
I have an epilator and I was wondering about something - my epilator is an emjoi and it's pretty good, but hair grows back faster than waxing- i think it kind of snaps alot of the hairs, but anyway thats not my question

my question is what do u guys do about hairs that kind of grow underneath the skin and leave my skin lumpy...and not smooth like shaving did.. IS there any cream or anything else I could do to get rid of this? Also the emjoi can be very vicious when done over my knees and really pinches it hard!!! Like it grabs a huge chunk of skin and tries to rip out that huge chunk, then it stops spinning and makes this huge noise. Scary!:eek:

PrettyVacant

HSC
Okay, my epilator doesn't do that. Woah. Anything that pinches your skin is not cool. I reckon you need to hold the skin taut so that there's no skin for the epilator to pinch and so it just picks up hairs.

As for the ingrown hairs that you've described, you need to exfoliate your skin so that dead skin cells do not plug up the hair follicles and this leaves a clear path for the new hair to grow through instead of being stuck under the skin. Any type of body scrub will do (with the little grainy bits in it). Otherwise you can use a little mit-exfoliater thing that is sort of like a scour (but much softer, obviously!). Both will do the trick.

And in my opinion, you should always use the epilator on the slowest setting to avoid snapping hairs. The good thing about regrowth is that epilators pick up the shortest hairs so you can easily get rid of regrowth when it comes back (and not wait for the hairs to grow out like waxing).

Good luck!

gracie007

HSC
Hey
I used to get ingrowns all the time. Usually, just leave it for a few days and if its still there and hasnt sort itself out, wipe disinfectant on a sharp pair of tweeers or something like that and try to pick/squeeze it out. if u dont wanna do that i would recommend u just leave it.

with the pinching thing, my epilator did that sometimes too. to fix it, hold ur skin taut and make sure its dry. if its taut then the blades wont have anything to catch onto and it wont pinch u and make that noise!

alby

cool duckie
HSC
pulling - as the others have said, pull the skin tight. when going over your knees, i usually just bend my knee...not much need to pull it taught with your hands this way

ingrowns - exfoliating, definitely! there are some 'exfoliating scrubs' that are meant for use on areas where you remove hair (as opposed to the facial scrubs). exfoliate regularly, as well as a day or so before and after epilating/whatever-ing
there are also some products that you can use to get rid of ingrowns...i havent tried any, but nads has a spray one specifically for getting rid of them (they also have a pretty good scrub that isnt too harsh)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)