essay body paragraphs (1 Viewer)

theycallmebob

HSC
so in an essay, do you think you should:

a: separate the related texts into separate paragraphs

or b: integrate them into paragraphs depending on the paragraph topic

avro

HSC
I usually do b. It's easier because you can compare/contrast more fluidly I suppose.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
I do both.
1st prescribed
2nd related
3rd integration of both

avro

HSC
Should I open with prescribed? I've opened with related

I would say open with prescribed. After all, it is your prescribed text. You relate your related texts to the prescribed, not vice versa.

Cl324

HSC
N/A
DEFINETELY open with prescribed. Its your main text and should take centre stage. Relateds are secondary

oyuck

HSC
I would suggest starting with your prescribed text all the time in the Advanced English course.

It is nice to interweave one or two sentences into your paragraphs which relate to other texts you have studied/have mentioned in the essay. Don't fret too much about this now; as you write more essays, maybe by late term 2, you'll get the hang of this.

I think it's also nice to go prescribed/related/prescribed/related when writing your main body paragraphs.

Zeroes

HSC
B has been much more strongly encouraged at my school.

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think it really matters how you approach it, although i do recommend a. At the end of the day if you can do better with a or b go for it.

and yeah start of with prescribed .

SanjoyM

HSC
Here's what I usually do

Introduction
Body:
Prescribed text, 2-3OIFEE'S and then Related text in the same paragraph 2-3 OIFEES - compare within this paragraph whilst discussing related text

So, what is OIFEE??

Alright! Here's one simple tip using the example of 'Belonging'

Structure your paragraphs in this manner
Intro:
1. immediately RESPOND to the question - formulate a thesis (practice writing only thesis statements for different question, so you can apply them to any question)
2. Define Belonging in relation to your text or Define any other concept, theory... For Frankenstein - briefly outline the context
3. Introduce texts and briefly outline how they reflect belonging
4. Mention themes or concepts you will be discussing (for e.g. The themes are......"

Body paragraphs:

Orientation (for e.g. In Herrick's free-verse prose novel, ....)
I dea (Same as statement - Belonging is linked to...)
F eature ( techniques - you need to collect a list of techniques - I have a folder just dedicated to different types of techniques: cinematogrpahy, poetic, literary etc..)
E vidence (quote - find one that is the BEST example - not just any - judiciously select your quotes)
E ffect (How does this convey ideas about belonging for example,... what aspect of belonging)
L ink (Link it back to the question and your thesis. e.g. Therefore,.... )

Just follow OIFEEL and you'll be fine! Provides essays with a more coherent and fluid structure

Hope that helps!

Siouxlu

HSC
N/A
There are two choices. Either one paragraph on each text alternating or 'block' paragraphs which cover a topic and include both texts.

Martinacal

HSC
Option B is called "synthesising"
In Extension English you are expected to sythesize, use more than one text per body paragraph
In Advanced English it is not always necessary. Sometimes a clearer argument is achieved by limiting one text per paragraph, sometimes it is necessary to synthesise- go with whatever flows better/clearer. Never talk about the other text in the same paragraph just for the sake of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)