Essay questions [and] Greece (1 Viewer)

Ava

HSC
I'm trying to write some practice essay questions but I'm really stuck on some of them....

- Account for the development of the imperial bureaucracy from Tiberius - Nero
I don't understand this question at all...

- Assess the reform programs and policies of Augustus
I am so doomed - what kind of stuff am i supposed to talk about here???

- Assess the contribution of Augustus/Tiberius/claudius....
When they say contribution..what do they mean specifically?

--------------

And what is the best way to approach studying Greece [Great Peloponnesian war period]? I have so much trouble with this.....Augustus and the Julio Claudians are okay but this really gives me a headache...

thanks~

Paroissien

HSC
Ava said:
I'm trying to write some practice essay questions but I'm really stuck on some of them....

Briefly:
(I know this part doesn't really apply to the question, but it is important background info) The imperial bureaucracy (god I hate spelling this word) was developed by Augustus as he had assumed many duties and couldn't possibly cope with them all him self. The bureaucracy consisted of a staff of freedmen looked after his own affairs, and because these were closely tied to the workings of the state, they became influential public servants.
The imperial bureaucracy was really developed by Claudius and he set up four departments and placed freedmen in charge. Good names to remember here are Narcissus (Chief secretary) and Pallas (Treasurer) as they had huge influence.
I don't really know much about the bureaucracy under the other emperors, but Claudius was the main one.

Reform programs and policies off the top of my head:
- The moral reforms lex Juli and lex Poppae (sp?) concerning the family values.
- Ahh, the creation of the police force, fire department and Praetorian guard.
- Control the grain supply
- Revived (maybe not quite) Roman religion building many temples, deifing Caesar and allowing provincials to worship him.
- Established the military treasury and creating a permanent army of 28 legions (until Teutoberg)

That final question can't be a real question. Their contribution to what? Most likely the Roman empire, but it seems far too broad to me.

Plebeian

Ava said:
Possibly things like
-reform
-development of the position of princeps in terms of power, control of state affairs (ie. later emperors assumed more direct control), relations with the Senate
-imperial policy

Paroissien

HSC
It is a bitch of a question though, because there is sooo much you could write about. A bit of an exaggeration but the contribution of the emperors is virtually the entire Julio-Claudian topic

launcher169

Lord of Chaos
HSC
Ava said:

--------------

And what is the best way to approach studying Greece [Great Peloponnesian war period]? I have so much trouble with this.....Augustus and the Julio Claudians are okay but this really gives me a headache...

thanks~
look, when they ask you about the imperial bureaucracy they are asking you about the administration of Rome - how was it governed?

it was different under each emperor:

Tiberius initially wanted the senate to help him out but that didnt work so he did his own thing and became involved in administration of provinces
- he appointed governors for longer periods
- was tight on the purse strings
- etc.

Gaius
- not that long of a reign
- but he didnt like the senate
- and gave the bureaucracy more of the senate's power

Claudius
- very important
- appointed his personal freedmen into powerful postitions that were usually taken by the senate
- you could say that the senate's powers/role was circumvented in Claudius's time

along those lines really

reform policies of Augustus is cover the social, political, military, administrative aspects of Augustus's reign

i hope this helped

Ava

HSC
Thanks everyone, that cleared things up abit~ :) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)