Essay Structure: Remember your SEXY paragraphs! (2 Viewers)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Re: How to write a BAND 6 essay?

"This is what I think"
"This is why I think it"
"See I told you so!"

But I gotta say, the most important thing is ALWAYS (I mean ALWAYS) assume the marker has READ your text. Analyse, NEVER recount. It doesn't matter if they've read it or not, assume they have and just point out which bits in the text relate to the question.

morganforrest

HSC

If you want to mention a mad technique to make you sound that little bit more cluey...try anthropomorphism...don't know what that is....bit like personification, it's giving animals human traits. Used in Wind in the Willows, ie Toad representing the middle class view of journeying is highlighted through the use of anthropomorphism.

Lol...i <3 technique dumping...(but don't do it if you want a band 6...or do it cleverlerly like me :) )

v.i.v.i.e.n

HSC

Heard of TEEEL??? probably not but...
My awesome english taught us...
T - Topic Sentence
E - Expand
E - Example
E - ??? Something I can't remember
L - Link

Something along the lines of that I think, can't quite remember but works like a charm for me

I also suggest buliding up your vocabulary and using your language techniques... & know your text well (or the main parts at least... I make summaries and work in alot of quotes... just keep going over them and you should get a better overall sense of things plus, i find that in doing so, things begin to stick alot more)

just make sure it makes sense and stick to the same tense

dont waffle on too much (as I am doing now) and have a fair few good quotes in mind

always make you intro a good one and most importantly, address the question... if your conclusion isnt all that qualitative, don't stress, it doesnt really matter... most people's conclusions are usually rushed cuz its at the very end when they're outta time and the markers are more lenient for that reason when it comes to the conclusion
just something nice and brief that sums it up

practice writing 'under pressure'... give yourself a set time, try to write an increasing amount each time

just write away - then just get your teacher to mark your work and get feedback

hope this helped

jessica16390

HSC

Make Sure U Always Relate Back To The Stimulus Statement Or Question After Every
Paragraph

Last edited:

Seza16

HSC

By writing a Band 6 Essay you need to add to your writing the TEE technique. By choosing the technique, using an example and evaluating on why the technique was used. Use quotes that you know.

rusty91

HSC
Re: Remember your SEXY paragraphs!

At our school, our teacher told us the T Technique which is quick and succint.

T - Technique
E - Example
E - Effect

It's applied on how to write and identify key language and visual techniques. The use of TEE can be written no less than 4 to 5 sentences which make writing inparagaphs in the HSC so much easier.

Aplus

HSC
N/A

rsingh said:
Now from the title of this thread, most of you must be saying to yourself, "WOW, WHAT AN IDIOT?"

Well, I've never been TOO great at writing essays, however I'm not a complete illiterate either.
I do ADVANCED English and my essays are just OK - JUST.

Can you guys please give me advice on how to write BAND 6 essays?

This would be greatly appreciated, not only by me, but by all Advanced English students.

Thanks in advance.
Basically you need a strong structure in your essays. Start of with a strong introduction and opening statement, which both display your thesis statement and/or opinion, if any. Briefly outline what you're going to be saying in the essay and then move on. Allow about three to four paragraphs explaining the topic.

Each paragraph begins with a concise topic sentence outlining the idea you will discuss. You will then prove your point with examples, quotes, dates etc. and further explain how these examples and quotes relate to the point which you are making. It is important in this to have a strongly grounded vocabulary and be able to use language to achieve an immensely controlled, structured and flexible piece of text. [Note: Do not start using big words just because you think the marker will think you are intelligent. Using the wrong words in the wrong contexts will only make you look more stupid]

Now, we move on to the conclusion. The conclusion summarises the points you have made regarding the text, and reiterates the thesis statement. Make sure you highlight and illuminate what we have learnt from the discussion with relevant references to the above paragraphs. Start by re-stating your main points using different phrasing from the introduction. Move from specific statements to more general observations - don't introduce new material. End with a statement regarding the consequences of your discussion - what have we learnt and why is it valuable.

Basically that is good template to follow if you want to create a well structured essay. Remember, although the structure has been set out, you do not need to follow it. With practise and experience, you will be able to manipulate the character of the language, play around with the text and create sophisticated and complex essays.

I hope this helps, and good luck. I know I'm not doing Adv. English at the moment but I'm starting Ext. 1 next year.

jellybelly59

HSC

Aplus said:
Basically you need a strong structure in your essays. Start of with a strong introduction and opening statement, which both display your thesis statement and/or opinion, if any. Briefly outline what you're going to be saying in the essay and then move on. Allow about three to four paragraphs explaining the topic.

Each paragraph begins with a concise topic sentence outlining the idea you will discuss. You will then prove your point with examples, quotes, dates etc. and further explain how these examples and quotes relate to the point which you are making. It is important in this to have a strongly grounded vocabulary and be able to use language to achieve an immensely controlled, structured and flexible piece of text. [Note: Do not start using big words just because you think the marker will think you are intelligent. Using the wrong words in the wrong contexts will only make you look more stupid]

Now, we move on to the conclusion. The conclusion summarises the points you have made regarding the text, and reiterates the thesis statement. Make sure you highlight and illuminate what we have learnt from the discussion with relevant references to the above paragraphs. Start by re-stating your main points using different phrasing from the introduction. Move from specific statements to more general observations - don't introduce new material. End with a statement regarding the consequences of your discussion - what have we learnt and why is it valuable.

Basically that is good template to follow if you want to create a well structured essay. Remember, although the structure has been set out, you do not need to follow it. With practise and experience, you will be able to manipulate the character of the language, play around with the text and create sophisticated and complex essays.

I hope this helps, and good luck. I know I'm not doing Adv. English at the moment but I'm starting Ext. 1 next year.
lol i was looking at the length of ur reply and wondering if that was going to be an essay itself hahahaha u must write band 6 essays urself :D

be-LIE-ve

HSC

mishka said:
- - underline the key words in the question/statement and make sure you know what the question is asking.

That is a really good point. My English teacher tells us that it is a common mistake that a student will - rather than answering what is asked - write what they know. Writing what you nkow is not answering the question. You need to make sure there is a way you can say what you know, and then follow with "Because.." to relate it to the question itself. If you can't find a link between what you want to say, and relevance to the question, its not the right material. ;)

adidasyeah

HSC

lols everyone has different ones..

i learnt mine as:

Orientation
Idea
Feature
Examples
Effect

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I am not the best person to talk to when it comes to writing. However, I know that I have improved my marks from some of the tips my teachers & friends gave me.

Followings are my tips (don't have to follow):
  1. Use synonyms (don't use the same word over and over again).
  2. Use relevant words (there is difference between the word 'abdicate' and 'abdandon'). Know the context of each word.
  3. Structure you essay. No one likes essay that is not structured. Have clear introduction, body and conclusion.
  4. Know your text. That includes quotes and techniques used in the text.
  5. Explain the quotes and techniques.
  6. Starting paragraph with a 'big word' is a good idea. However, the starting sentence should be your thesis statement.
  7. Following the thesis statement, provide explanation.
  8. Following explanation, give quotes & techniques that can be used as 'evidences'.
  9. Make sure your essay is grammatically correct.
  10. Never make spelling mistakes. Many people lose marks from this.
Ah.... I am running out of tips. I will put up more if I can think of more.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC

Depending on the course you do: speech, prose, poem, acedemic essay, fictional essay, neutral essay, report essay and some others.

And i agree, 15+ sounds like a lot

Poad

HSC

My one - The Three E's

Explain (Topic sentence)
Expand (More info on it, techniques)
Evidence (Quotes, examples, etc.)

Legal Hustle

HSC

This is a tip from my bro who aced the HSC last year.

paraphrased for easy understanding] vomit out rubric as much as possible, define module and don't use "beat the HSC" methods...i.e. the people who copy and paste from this site lol[yeah I'm one of them:p]. He says to make it sound as natural as possible as if u want to do the english exam and incorporate current events some how.....

and he also said teahers give bad advice[my school at least]
It worked for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC

OK! writing band 6 essays... where do i start. there is SO much you have to work on to get those top marks in english im sorry to say :( but 3 key aspects that'll boost your marks significantly:
-know your topic ie dont just read and write whats required! to get those top marks you're gonna have to show external information to show you're knowledgeable in that area e.g. adding quotes from Carl Jung in Imaginative journeys etc.
-be succint! if you write whats required in fewer lines and it doesn't detract from your argument thats is AWESOME! because it leaves you time to incorporate creativity, plan your argument and even leave time for other questions in the exam
-integrate: i know its a bitch, but its ho that rakes in the 'money', figuratively speaking ofcourse ;) usually i do this theme by theme... but yeah, if you CANT do it for whatever reason and have to do text 1, text 2, text 3.. etc make sure you throw in heaps of links... especially at the start of each new text e.g. "Similarly this concept is demonstrated in *****, further consolidating the aspects of *****" etc

goodluck, i know i'll need it! trials soon :S

HSC

SEXY??? I learned STEEL and for me, it is the easiest and the most fool-proof method:

Statement State the question/notion with which you are answering
Technique Then demonstrate knowledge of a technique in given text which supports this (eg. narrative voice, symbolism, hyperbole, juxtaposition, euphemism...)
Example Here you insert a quote or a short description of a scene which demonstrates use of technique
Effect This is where the marks are. Anyone can list the topic and give a quote. A band six student whould be capable of explaining what the effect of this in relation of the topic.
Link Most people forget to link paragraph, but it instills a nice sense of flow and rhythm

I've never heard of SEXY before, but maybe that's just me...

N

Nicola1616

senso said:
what if you dont have 'flair'?
I think 'flair' is a fairly elusive thing and I wouldn't stive for it if it doesn't come naturally to you cause I think then you can end up with some clumsy phrases that don't make sense. I know it's cruel that some people seem to have a way with words and others ... well ... have not way. BUt anyway I think 'CLARITY' cannot be rated too highly. I think a good way to start to prepare something is to do it in pre-school language first.

So, as some introductory thoughts, you go. "King Lear is heaps broad. There is heaps of stuff in it. Its themes are very contemporary in many ways. A director can't hope to do it all. Most choose an aspect that is important and bring that out in a big way. Different people in different contexts will want to 'bring out' different bits" .... blah blah

Then when you are happy that you have some clear introductory ideas (I'm not saying that that's what I've written - but) try to write them out in a slightly more sophisticated manner. As you go, use thesaurus.com to collect a list of words that will amp up your work, eg 'broad' give you:

expansive, extensive, sweeping, comprehensive, deep, vast, rich ...

and 'rich' gives you: fecund, fertile, powerful, potent.

THink of simple adjective for the main character, 'mean' 'nice' and do the same.

Clarity and originality of thought - flair is the cherry and you may find if you strive for the other two, you will develop your own flair.

techniques, techniques techniques blah blah that's a given.

danz90

HSC

cam.t said:
what do people mean by 'integration' & to making a good essay?
I think what they mean by 'integration' is, that the various criteria or 'tickable points' in a response should be fluently woven together with a sophisticated use of language. An A-range response features a sophisticated use of language - so this is how I perceive 'integration'. i.e. Topic Sentence, Context, Quote/Ref, Language, Discussion (+ other criteria for certain modules) must be included - but it is the way u integrate these aspects of your paragraph and use sophisticated language to shape a logical response, is what distinguishes a band 6 from perhaps a band 5 response.

That's my two cents.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)