Essay Structure (1 Viewer)

Benno

HSC
hey i have a question, how i s everyone structuring there eassys for section 3 paper 1?

since i am doing 4 texts i find it very diffcult to structure them together when i have to realte them and connect them

Hottieflossy

the prescribed text should be discussed first then your chosen text from the Stimulus booklet and then two other related texts of your own choosing.

we were told not to connect the texts to one another, but i guess there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

good luck!

Benno

HSC
Originally posted by Hottieflossy
the prescribed text should be discussed first then your chosen text from the Stimulus booklet and then two other related texts of your own choosing.

we were told not to connect the texts to one another, but i guess there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

1st off thx for the advice :D

but dude im pretty sure u have to connect the texts... dont you?

kablam

HSC
i don't think you need to connect all your texts together, just show how each of them links to change and your prescribed text

Blondie

Originally posted by Hottieflossy
yes, u most defintely have to link ur texts!!! what i do, is write about my core, then carry on with the last point made in a related, then core, bos booklet, core and finally my 2nd related. that means u end up writing about 3/4 page on core per time plus 1/2 page each on related.
it works really well, and u have a clear structure and discussion of change by then end. good luck y'all!!

Last edited:

Lundy

Banned
HSC
You definitely need intertexuality...you have to link the texts. that's what I was taught anyway

Hottieflossy

all year i havent been linking my texts and for every AOS essay i received full marks..not just from my teacher but from other english teachers. if i know whats best for me, i will stick to what i have been doing for the past 3 terms

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Ok, that's fine if it works for you.

It's just that it has been stressed a lot to me that you need to link texts together. Personally I prefer it because that way the essay flows better

Gamine

DEFINITELY link your texts.
It doesn't matter what order you do them in, so long as it flows.
Remember that links do not have to be things the texts have in common, links can also be links through CONTRAST.
eg. "Change can be an intesely personal experience as shown through So-andso's 1985 film 'Rahrahrah' (then you do you explanation and examples and all that shit blah blah blah).
- Then you have your linking sentance- eg.
Changing Perspective is not, however always a personal experience. It can also be an experience shared by a large group of people.
This idea of large-scale change is conveyed in the feature article 'Whatever' by Youknow..." and you go on link that.

... I know that's pretty crap writing... but its just to give you the idea of what I'm on about :)

Good luck :)

Sammmmmuel

I only link two together... just coz it sounded cool and stylish the way i did it.

I rekon link if u feel like it, and dont link if u dont want to... It will never make a difference in the end: if u look at the points on the syllabus there is none saying "links texts together in essay".

Look at the syllabus if ur not sure instead of worrying about it...

Benno

HSC
how does this sound to structure my essay

Intro-Set text description-Set text anyalises-set change in perspective-Realated text description-anyalises-change in Persp-Realted to set (link)-Stim text driscription-anyalises-change in persp-Link to set- Conclusion

how does that sound?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Yeah, that sounds like a valid structure.

I've been urged to relate my texts to a thesis about change, and use them to support my argument, whilst analysing each text. When possible, I like trying to discuss multiple texts at once (Mother Who Gave Me Life and In The Park work quite well for this), so my structure should hopefully be;

Intro-Introduce topic/thesis/texts.
Point (Core Text eg: 'Father And Child' and it's relation to changing self..)
Point/Texts
& On & On...
Going on to discuss my related text/texts towards the end of the question before bringing it together with a Heraclitus quote that seems to relate well to changing self. I just hope it all works out.

s2ophie

HSC
I imagine its up to you if you link your texts but YOU MUST LINK YOUR PARAGRAPHS!!!!!!! Thats how an essay is structured and i find the easiest way to link my paragraphs is to link my texts such as:

blah blah blah talking about changing father/son relationships
(next paragraph)
The father/son relationship theme is continued in (text) by (author) but in a different fahion

in whatever. It makes sense in my head so i suppose thats what counts!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
They are all linked anyway, they are all about change, so it isn't too hard to link them!!!!

But I think linking them is the way to go... even if the link is pretty superficial...

Benno

HSC
but when you change from discussing one text to another text, how would u link i then?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)