Ester's Question (1 Viewer)

Unwant3d

It's A Boy !!
HSC
ok the question stated "structural formual and name for the products"

did anyone draw the structual formula for Water as a product?
cause i just wrote H2O. seeing as i knew the "lewis dot diagram" of water not the "strutural" formula. ??

nooj

HSC
i did, cuz they hav had trick questions like that in my school exams

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Shit, i wrote "H2O"

Last edited:

britto89

HSC
I drew the full ester clearly showing the ester linkage. I also drew the sturctual formula for water, stupid as it may seem. They did ask 4 it.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
britto89 said:
I drew the full ester clearly showing the ester linkage. I also drew the sturctual formula for water, stupid as it may seem. They did ask 4 it.
I made the bond longer than usual to show that the -OH bond was removed from the alcohol and the hexanoic acid gave up a hydrogen.

dwatt

HSC
Yeah I did similar - put the linking 0 on an angle to show the point of connection and drew water as H - 0 - H. Felt a little silly about drawing water like that, though!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
dwatt said:
Yeah I did similar - put the linking 0 on an angle to show the point of connection and drew water as H - 0 - H. Felt a little silly about drawing water like that, though!
Better safe than sorry.
That's why I drew a single line right through my mistakes (or 'correct' answers) rather than scribble them out, but I know this only applies to Maths so far, where as long as markers can see correct working they can neglect your incorrect working and give you the marks you deserve.

dwatt

HSC
That's true. Gotta love that about maths. There's a kid in my class, who is very unconfident that he has the correct method. So he does about 3 methods and crosses them all out, because he deduces he can score more marks that way than leaving one (possibly incorrect) without scribble!

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
I just drew the ester. Didn't notice anything about the products. Hopefully I didn't screw it.

I did forget to mention water as a product though, damn it.

AAAh crap.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Fish Sauce said:
I just drew the ester. Didn't notice anything about the products. Hopefully I didn't screw it.

I did forget to mention water as a product though, damn it.

AAAh crap.
But I think you'll still get some marks.

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
Shrikar said:
But I think you'll still get some marks.
Yeah but I was counting on them to make up for the multitude of others that I lost :p

Autumn_Rain

HSC
I drew the reactants as well, figuring that because it was an equilibrium, they're still there in the 'products mixture'.... Hopefully I don't lose marks for that.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Autumn_Rain said:
I drew the reactants as well, figuring that because it was an equilibrium, they're still there in the 'products mixture'.... Hopefully I don't lose marks for that.
I drew the reactants too, so it made drawing the ester easier as it just involved just removing water after joining the ethanol and hexanoic acid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)