Eurovision Song Contest 2005 - Hello Europe, this is Ukraine calling! (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Yes, that's right.

The 50th Eurovision Song Contest from Ukraine is approaching fast!!!

and the SBS will once again be showing it, almost live. Delayed a few hours. Hopefully we will be spared the Terry Wogan tryhardism of Des Mangan, and just get Terry Wogan for a commentary.

Watch it at these times:

Preliminary Final: Friday 20th May 7.30pm
Final: Sunday 22nd May 7.30pm

I've been fortunate enough to have heard Belarus' entrant, and I think we are to expect nothing but über-quality this year. Watch out for Angelica Agurbash and her breathtaking ditty, "Love Me Tonight".

www.esctoday.com
www.eurovision.tv
http://www.sbs.com.au/whatson/index.php3?progdate=20:05:2005
http://www.sbs.com.au/whatson/index.php3?progdate=22:05:2005

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I doubt we will ever get terry wogan again...... such a shame. Des Mangan drives me up the wall..he's just so irritating (like some of the contestants, incidentally). I liked it when one year Effie was doing her own little hosting in australia, then they cut across to terry wogan.......a veryy funny night.

The preliminary stuff and all the other spin offs such as eurovision for kids has taken the edge of the outdated Europop and by the time you get to the finals, you've heard it all before, and the shock value of their awful singing has gone. gotta love their 1970/1980's blend of fashions though.....

the only good to every come out oif eurovision was ABBA. GO ABBA!

TaperJeanGirl

HSC
Oh man, Eurovision is the greatest! Whenever it rolls around my whole family (and extended family) get so into it!!
Haha, I will be sticking to my Bosnian roots and going for whoever it is that Bosnia is sending this year (lets hope it is better than 'Deen' who was our contestant last year and was absolutely shocking). Weeee! And i agree on the Terry Wogan thing, I miss him!! He was great.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Terry Wogan will be doing the commentary this year, no Des Mangan. Not even a Des Mangan lead up into the contest.

He is really annoying, but his book 'This is Sweden Calling' about the history of Eurovision is rather good ($2 from that book shop at Central Station).

llamalope said:
the only good to every come out oif eurovision was ABBA. GO ABBA!
I wholeheartedly agree with ABBA, but don't forget Bucks Fizz, Livvy, Cliff, Celine... I think they're the only one's to have international acclaim... oh and Lulu, but she sucks, so meh.

TaperJeanGirl said:
(lets hope it is better than 'Deen' who was our contestant last year and was absolutely shocking).
I LOVED HIM!! 'Cause I want to spend all night in the disco... Woah oh in the Disco-ooo... music is what I want, music is what I need, keeps me from letting go, up and down here we go! Traaaashy!!

I can't believe I remember that.. :rolleyes:

I'ma sticking with Sweden. 'Cause Swedish people rock. Lena Philipsson was robbed last year! :mad:

libertine

in the middle class ghetto: North Shore, Bitch
HSC
Hippy La-Laa said:
Terry Wogan will be doing the commentary this year, no Des Mangan. Not even a Des Mangan lead up into the contest.

He is really annoying, but his book 'This is Sweden Calling' about the history of Eurovision is rather good ($2 from that book shop at Central Station).

I wholeheartedly agree with ABBA, but don't forget Bucks Fizz, Livvy, Cliff, Celine... I think they're the only one's to have international acclaim... oh and Lulu, but she sucks, so meh.

I LOVED HIM!! 'Cause I want to spend all night in the disco... Woah oh in the Disco-ooo... music is what I want, music is what I need, keeps me from letting go, up and down here we go! Traaaashy!!

I can't believe I remember that.. :rolleyes:

I'ma sticking with Sweden. 'Cause Swedish people rock. Lena Philipsson was robbed last year! :mad:
that swedish entrant was well HOT..and the way she sung...it was like she was giving the microphone oral...i wouldnt mind
hopefully sweden send out another one of its blonde bombshells

and hippy la_laa you are a Eurovision tragic arent you..

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
libertine said:
hippy la_laa you are a Eurovision tragic arent you..
Sadly...

In my defense Eurovision comes but once a year. I must celebrate. :p

something_funny said:
has anyone seen the kids eurovision? that is classic!

Absolutely tragic... I couldn't believe how skanky they all were! :eek:

chepas

HSC
something funny said:
has anyone seen the kids eurovision? that is classic!
Junior Eurovision is just the pinnacle of specialdom. The Dutch especially

For those who are online right now. Triple J (Syd = 105.7FM) has the world's biggest Eurovision Tragic on as a co-host. From 10:15ish. FUNNY!

Re Deen: Another favourite. But Hip, I believe the words were better than that:

... Kiss me and turn me slow
Up and down, here we go.

:p

Re Eurovision literature: This guest person on JJJ at the moment has an apparently comprehensive history on the contest out "The Eurovision Song Contest: 50 Years". The guy also picked 5 of his most memorable EUrovision moments. Number 1 of 5, The Seekers - Beg, Steal or Borrow; for the UK in 1972. I actually like that song as a song-song!

Hip said:
OMG. Excellent. But the Contest was hardly the launching pad for many of these people!

As I speak, "Jack in the Box" - 1971 Cloada Roberts (sp) is on the radio. Gold.

t.

HSC
Whoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....I just heard the eurovision songs and I the Serbia/Montenegro boys are soooooOOoOoOoo HOT! lol..MmMmm...the instrumentals are great as well. ;)

Oooh - and for once the French song is not a ballad - "Chacun pense a soi"- it's a really cute song (for lack of a better adjective- eloquence has flown out the window cos mum's got the songs playing full blast)

The Austrians...heeheee...I think they got a tad confused -they sing bits in Spanish, and then there's periodic yodeling in-between. Ukraine is scary--> rap! One thing that really annoys me is the attempt at an American accent with the word "god"...so they keep saying "guudh". :chainsaw: ...and Croatia has...bagpipes? lol yeah, it's true. It's a good song (I'm trying to summon up my nationalistic sentiment..but alas...Serbia is sooooo good!). The guy's a better song-writer than he is a singer tho (make of that what you will!). The song's way too sad for me to play it over and over...dunav=war=sad.

Germany's entry reminds me of one of those tracks off a Bonjovi album that never gets released but sits at the end of the track list awaiting eagerly, but in vain, to be played....hahaha...Ooh, and Bosnia seems to be attempting to emulate ABBA---> v. interesting. (imagine the Wiggles crossed with Balkan pop ;) )
Russia, despite the poor translation, is quite impressive. But....
Serbia has to win! Hahhaaha...so Balkan-ish, but sooooooooo fantastic. (and their video clip is amazing)

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
Eurovision is so hilarious. Does anyone remember Slovenia's representitive.... a drag queen.

Can't wait to see what Rove gets to bag about with this years entries!

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
chepas said:
As I speak, "Jack in the Box" - 1971 Cloada Roberts (sp) is on the radio. Gold.
You shoud hear 'Diggy-loo Diggy-ley' or 'Boom Bang-a-Bang'..... atrocious. :p But that's what makes them fabulous.

t. said:
Whoooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa....I just heard the eurovision songs and I the Serbia/Montenegro boys are soooooOOoOoOoo HOT! lol..MmMmm...the instrumentals are great as well.

Oooh - and for once the French song is not a ballad - "Chacun pense a soi"- it's a really cute song (for lack of a better adjective- eloquence has flown out the window cos mum's got the songs playing full blast)

The Austrians...heeheee...I think they got a tad confused -they sing bits in Spanish, and then there's periodic yodeling in-between. Ukraine is scary--> rap! One thing that really annoys me is the attempt at an American accent with the word "god"...so they keep saying "guudh". ...and Croatia has...bagpipes? lol yeah, it's true. It's a good song (I'm trying to summon up my nationalistic sentiment..but alas...Serbia is sooooo good!). The guy's a better song-writer than he is a singer tho (make of that what you will!). The song's way too sad for me to play it over and over...dunav=war=sad.

Germany's entry reminds me of one of those tracks off a Bonjovi album that never gets released but sits at the end of the track list awaiting eagerly, but in vain, to be played....hahaha...Ooh, and Bosnia seems to be attempting to emulate ABBA---> v. interesting. (imagine the Wiggles crossed with Balkan pop )
Russia, despite the poor translation, is quite impressive. But....
Serbia has to win! Hahhaaha...so Balkan-ish, but sooooooooo fantastic. (and their video clip is amazing)
Argh! I'm so excitied!!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
yay the litmus test for European Relations is back!

It's a great event, they let all their drug addicts and mental patients out of the asylum to perform on the world stage then dress the voting up as actually being about talent when all along it's just popularity of nations.

Turkey will do quite well again I am thinking.

Europeans know how to have a fun time :)

chepas

HSC
leftrightout said:
yay the litmus test for European Relations is back!
AHAHAH that's it!!!! That is the best metephor/analogy descriptor for the ESC that I've ever heard! Reeks of veracity... :p

But in light of the mental institutions letting say, the Austrians out, are you sure they made the right choice (eg Austria 2003)? :p.

chepas

HSC
Yes..... shudder...........

Some things are funny because they are so bad, but this guy, he was just yuck bad. The bad kind of bad. The embarrassment to all Germanspeakingdom.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)