Exactly how much essays do you have to write to "ace' English? (1 Viewer)

jamesfirst

HSC
I haven't been writing a "proper" essay. Just for belonging, never written the full essay by hand, just typed. I reckon my belonging essay has a great potential for a band 6 (says my tutor and teacher). I didn't practice much for Gwen Harwood, but I did extensively analyse each of her poems on the holidays.

Exactly how much essays do you have to write do get a band 6 in English??? Are we talking 2-3 a week ??

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
you really only need to write one per module and you'll be fine tbh

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Just 1 as stated above, type up an essay, memorize it word for word, change it a little according to the question, done.

jamesfirst

HSC
Perhaps I didn't word it correctly.

I was meant to ask, how much do I have to "practice" writing the essay I've written. I know I only need to write one (which I did for my belonging... I don't want to write different essays each time :( ).

slyhunter

Retired
HSC

I was meant to ask, how much do I have to "practice" writing the essay I've written. I know I only need to write one (which I did for my belonging... I don't want to write different essays each time :( ).
Dyou have a teacher herp derp?

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad

Well i still don't really get your question, lol. You just memorise it until you can recall every important detail! the amount of times write-practising it is irrelevant

NewiJapper

HSC
Try and write one GOOD essay for each module, then practice manipulating your thesis in that essay to different questions. It's a bit hard at first and you may feel like waffling, and honestly you know when you are :p, but it turns out to be a good skill to try and fit your essay to different questions without it seeming like a pre-prepared essay. You just need to be fully aware of what you are writing rather than regurgitating it. Yes I know it is pre-prepared, but there is a difference to fitting a pre-prepared answer to a question than just changing your first paragraph and writing the rest normally.

Tacitus

HSC
The number of essays you write to 'ace' English won't matter at all if you've already memorised them. The most common reason for your question is because people find it very hard to adapt and apply the material they've learnt while under pressure. Practice essays and trial questions help you kick that problem without too much grief.

Speaking from experience, I liked to adapt my core material about 4-5 times with random trial questions for each module. This will vary to taste.

jamesfirst

HSC
Which completely misses the point of the subject...

Sigh.
I know. My tutor suggests that I should memorise a generic essay and integrate it into the question.

He said, if he was teaching me as a school teacher, he would tell me to write different essays each time. But as a tutor, he told me to memorise it because it's important not to stop writing.

He got a band 6 in ext 2 english doing this and graduated from USYD and doing a masters degree in UNSW in english

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I know. My tutor suggests that I should memorise a generic essay and integrate it into the question.

He said, if he was teaching me as a school teacher, he would tell me to write different essays each time. But as a tutor, he told me to memorise it because it's important not to stop writing.

He got a band 6 in ext 2 english doing this and graduated from USYD and doing a masters degree in UNSW in english
It definitely works, I don't doubt it. But it really is a shame though that English just comes down to memorisation. A real shame.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Perhaps it's because the subject is loathed by so many
I think the subject is loathed because it allows for memorisation. There's no incentive to develop that higher analytical ability and language skills, because there's no need. You just need to regurgitate a pre-written, pre-reviewed work. It is a poorly designed course, that should be restructured.

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
I think the subject is loathed because it allows for memorisation. There's no incentive to develop that higher analytical ability and language skills, because there's no need. You just need to regurgitate a pre-written, pre-reviewed work. It is a poorly designed course, that should be restructured.
I agree it's very poorly designed but personally, I dislike everything about it, apart from perhaps my module C novel which is quite interesting.

It's all about a criteria, not actually learning anything.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
its such a poor syllabus that it allows for memorisation

having said that, memorising and writing sophisticated responses was what pulled me through HSC english lol

my analytical skills of texts was pretty deplorable without sample responses to help me pick stuff up lol

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Exactly spot on. Basically if the essays you write throughout the year are of a decent quality, you are more or less set for the final HSC exam. I definitely enjoyed the subject (writing things for the first time) but absolutely loathed the way it was assessed. English could be so much more than what it is.

Perhaps we ought to overthrow the Board of Studies and instill a much needed revolution. Bored of Studies vs Board of Studies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)