Exam Parking (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I know this has been done before, but I can't find a straight answer in any of the previous threads. So can someone tell me what's the deal with exam parking. Can I park in the red parking zones without a parking permit?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I do every semester and I've never been fined so I assume that it's alright... but you can always find close street parking if you don't want to risk it since it's only exam people who are at uni... but i'm 90% sure that you can park wherever you want.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
no you can't, it doesn't say anything like that in the rules.

as raiks said, do at your own risk. They might just be kind and lenient during exam week, who knows.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
no you can't, it doesn't say anything like that in the rules.

as raiks said, do at your own risk. They might just be kind and lenient during exam week, who knows.
On Saturday when I had an exam I parked in the multistory because I would rather pay 50 cents than park on the street and have to walk further. In that carpark to the right as you are driving into the multistory there were about 2 cars. Would they really bother checking for permits and fining people when there are hundreds of empty spaces.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
lol, but that's a saturday...

you can park anywhere on weekends, i'm pretty sure.

there was a guy at the entrance on saturday?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
You can park anywhere on the weekends cos the permits only apply 8.30-6.30 Monday to Friday. As for the other carparks, Im fairly sure you're not allowed to park in them during exam time without a permit (as the permits are still valid).....but if you want to risk it I guess you could.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
lol, but that's a saturday...

you can park anywhere on weekends, i'm pretty sure.

there was a guy at the entrance on saturday?
There are hardly any people on duty at the entrance anymore... I remember it used to almost be nazi-ish but I think i've only passed a guy at the booth about 2 or 3 times this semester.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Raiks said:
There are hardly any people on duty at the entrance anymore... I remember it used to almost be nazi-ish but I think i've only passed a guy at the booth about 2 or 3 times this semester.
Are you talking about those booth things at the entrances? I have only ever seen a person in their once, and that was when I came to enrol. Is there a purpose for those people being there?

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Are you talking about those booth things at the entrances? I have only ever seen a person in their once, and that was when I came to enrol. Is there a purpose for those people being there?
Yeah, originally they were there to check permits on windscreens... and to provide initial assistance to those visiting the uni... but then the multistory became short term parking and permit checking became useless so they increased security to check the carparks while removing the guy from the booth except for important days like enrollment and graduation days where the booth guy is kept busy informing the uninformed.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Raiks said:
Yeah, originally they were there to check permits on windscreens... and to provide initial assistance to those visiting the uni... but then the multistory became short term parking and permit checking became useless so they increased security to check the carparks while removing the guy from the booth except for important days like enrollment and graduation days where the booth guy is kept busy informing the uninformed.
Yeah cause I park in the multistory pretty much every day so checking for a permit on my car when driving in makes no sense.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Yeah, checking permits on the way in became useless and the parking fines were useless because they were not enforced by the RTA so the uni had no real way to collect parking fines except for finding though parking permit records of which student was registered to the car. The problem was that most of the fines were to people like myself who never registered for a parking permit meaning that I was a person they could never pin any fines on. So the way they used to try and combat it was not letting in anyone without a permit which wasn't the best system.

But now they have the RTA enforcement and multistorey short term parking which means its easier and more profitable just to let everyone in, and fine those who don't have a permit.

The key to the whole thing.... the motivation of profts. The system could have been changed a long time ago but they didn't do anything until they realised they could be earning money out of it.

It's like how they made a big fuss over the increase in top-dollar parking permits, what they didn't mention was how they merely just shifted the ratios so that although there were more red parking permits, there were less blue parking permits... so all that happened was that the amount of parking spaces stayed the same but they just increased the price of a certain amount of parking spaces.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)