Experiences/opinions on refurbished macbook air (1 Viewer)

YOLO_SWAYG

HSC
N/A
Anyone have any experiences or opinions on the refurbs? I kinda need a new laptop now but I'm not sure if I should wait until dicksmith holds a 10% off discount.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard the Apple refurbs are good because they actually swap with genuine parts for the battery, exterior, etc... so it'll be a lot better than some of the generic "refurbs" out there. I personally wouldn't trust third party refurb operations as you never know what bandaid solutions they may have done to make it work.

IMO I'd wait until the 10% off sale though as the price discount isn't enough to entice me away from the shallow satisfaction from buying something new lol.

Ethicks

HSC
As said above Apple refurbishments are basically a brand new item - If you were like me and one of the people who got their iPhone 5 replaced due to the dodgy lock button then you were given a refurbished phone which to me was like brand new, could not tell the difference.

I'm a huge Apple fan but if we want to talk logic you can pick up a windows computer that will do exactly the same thing for half the price. They aren't to the same build standard but the software is just as good if not better, most people with macs are running Windows software so don't feel like you need to follow the sheep.

Oops I forgot to mention, I purchased the new 15" macbook pro retina for around $2,500 and if i'm being honest it was a total waste of money.. sure I use the laptop now and then but it's too big to take lug around all my classes and I find myself just using my windows desktop to complete majority of my work. This is probably my fault for getting a screen size that was too big but who would have thought 15" is too big to fit on most of the uni fold out tables. 11" and 13" macbook air is what I should have bought #regrets

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Oops I forgot to mention, I purchased the new 15" macbook pro retina for around $2,500 and if i'm being honest it was a total waste of money.. sure I use the laptop now and then but it's too big to take lug around all my classes and I find myself just using my windows desktop to complete majority of my work. This is probably my fault for getting a screen size that was too big but who would have thought 15" is too big to fit on most of the uni fold out tables. 11" and 13" macbook air is what I should have bought #regrets
It's funny because it's true. I remember seeing kids with their gaming-spec laptops at uni realising that both the puny lecture tables + lack of power points meant that the ability to game during breaks was not really such an important requirement in picking a laptop for daily uni duties.

My rubbish Dell Mini 9 (from the netbook generation) may not have been flash or fast, but it fit on the little tables and did the job. I learnt to type at a reasonable pace on the crabby one-row-missing keyboard too. Upgrading to the Macbook Air 11" was amazing though. If I was doing uni all over again, I'd be going for the same Macbook Air (or ultrabook) if I really wanted a full on laptop, but would also consider an iPad Air 2 with a thin bluetooth keyboard too as it would be perfect not being forced to always have space for a keyboard and just reading/consuming material.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)