Ext 2 English (1 Viewer)

~QuEEN V~

Hey truly/linda...i didn't know anyone from our class got 50 for internal assessment...guess it doesn't really matter now anyway

ciao

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sugaryblue
You see, before I picked up ext 2 english, I told my ex-english tutor about it. She said that with my 'english standard.' I am going 'to fail ext 2 english hopelessly'
:confused:

You can do Extension 2 English with Standard English? :eek: At my school, everybody who did Extension 1 English (and of course, those students who did Extension 2), were all from Advanced English.

:confused: I didn't know it was even possible (Standard English, with Extension 1 and 2 English). At least, at my school it isn't.

Huy

HSC
N/A
truly,

Ohhhh, that's the reason my EE2 wasn't included in my UAI - I couldn't read properly :p LOL. I understand now, it would have been more clear if she had expanded on that, or had used another word other than "standard" saying "my level of English is average".

Thanks for clearing that up, I feel silly now. :shy:

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
:confused:

You can do Extension 2 English with Standard English? :eek: At my school, everybody who did Extension 1 English (and of course, those students who did Extension 2), were all from Advanced English.

:confused: I didn't know it was even possible (Standard English, with Extension 1 and 2 English). At least, at my school it isn't.
yup Huy, TIB is right. standard = my english ability

sorry about the confusion

Procras_witfood

50 HSC mark
50 Assessment mark
50 Examination mark

Not bad since I started my Reflection Statement 8 hours before it was due.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Procras_witfood
50 HSC mark
50 Assessment mark
50 Examination mark

Not bad since I started my Reflection Statement 8 hours before it was due.
LOL with that mark, of course it's 'NOT BAD'!

Congratz :)

Classic

Originally posted by braindrainedAsh
Nope... my english teacher said a collegue of his in sydney said that they really marked poetry ultra hard this year... did anyone else doing poetry find this to be the case?
YES! I did poetry - I've always loved it and so I spent a whole year writing them and I only got 38 ... I was really disappointed!!! My journal was really thorough and everything ... so unhappy - but thanx for tellin me that, BraindrainedAsh, now at least I don't feel like my poetry stinks quite so much. :(

Classic

p.s. can someone post a sample of their poetry if they got a good mark for it? I wouldn't mind comparing or at least seein what 'good poetry' is caus mine obviously isn't good. I would really appreciate it, thanx :)

eveajac

THANKS spin spin!!! That is exactly what i wanted to say. It's the easy way out for anyone who didn't get the marks they thought they deserved to blame it on someone else...in this case the supposedly "biased markers" pffft.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm simply relaying what my teacher told me re marking poetry hard.... the main reason I am protesting my mark is because a few teachers at my school thought that compared to the marks people got for short stories, my mark was way out of whack because they felt my work was better quality, yet recieved marks 8-9 marks lower than short story works that they thought weren't as strong as mine... if my teachers hadn't have said this, I would have just been dissapointed and moved on, but my teachers think that there has been an injustice and have decided to pursue it... it's not just me sitting here thinking my major work is great and I've been ripped off... I actually hate my major work now... it's the fact that compared with marks other people at my school got it just doesn't seem right and my teachers are particularly riled up about it....

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
they CANNOT mark one medium harder than the other. it is simply unfair and they would not get away with it. they give juvenile short stories and critical responses poor marks - and by the same token, they give juvenile poetry poor marks too. it just so happens that there is a lot more of it.

reading your major work i can see how they may interpret it as being childish and not necassarily fulfilling the course outcomes at a higher level band. the reflection statement is great, but in the work itself there is no evidence of a sophisticated knowledge of poetry in all it's forms. it may have a deliberately simple tone, but no one can pull that off in extension 2 because it is too easily misinterpreted as purely immature writing (that is unless you insert a disclaimer in your reflection statement). i've seen you post about your disappointment with your extension 2 mark in several threads at several points, and while i understand how shitty you must have felt or may still feel, i'm trying to speak objectively here.

your teachers may have felt your work was strong, but i can honestly say that yours is the kind of work that my english extension 2 teacher would have considered childish and base. the reflection statement however proves that you are articulate, intelligent, and capable of working at a higher level. personally i think you channelled your creativity into completely the wrong medium. i dont think poetry of your kind is what they are looking for in major works for Extension English 2. the poetry works i have seen in the Young Writer's Showcase were leagues away from this kind of material and displayed evidence of experience with the form, as well as WIDE reading of poetry - while you did name a few works in your reflection statement, i;m not convinced that you went out there and studied the forms of poetry at a particularly adult level as well as doing EXTENSIVE relevant wide reading. otherwise i think your work would have been able to blossom at a more mature level.

this is not to discredit your teachers opinion - perhaps they are right and i am completely wrong. but to some degree i can understand why the markers may have chosen to give a mark lower than you expected.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Thankyou spin spin, someone had to say it.

Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
i wonder how mani pplz got 50 for internal and external... anyone know?
Everyone who was in the paper under the English Extension 2 heading (for top of the state). I think there were about 10-15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)