ext 2 questions (1 Viewer)

fx82au

HSC
I am planning to do Ext 2 math next term (year 11 -> year 12).

My teacher was telling me that I wont be attending the advanced classes, and while the advanced classes are running, i am in another class doing ext 2 math. Is this normal? Im just worried that if i dont have the right foundation, I will heavily struggle with ext 2. In addition my school barely has given me any classes for ext 1 this year, and are refusing to give me extra classes, at the teachers expense (the teacher is happy to come early or stay late, but the school is one some bs saying that she isnt). Will i have 6 units worth of classes, and 4 actual unit? I know every school is different, but what is it normally like?

I have just skimmed over the table of contents for the ext 2 cambridge textbook and I have seen some notes, and It kinda looks like harder module 2 physics. I am rigth on this?

Books582

HSC
Extension 2 is similar to physics in that there is some overlap within the concepts that are covered, mainly mechanics and vectors. However ext 2 goes beyond physics in that it looks at resisted motion as well as using calculus in modelling motion. Extension 2 maths also covers a wide range of other topics such as complex numbers, proofs and further proof by induction.

In terms of the problem with lessons, that may have a greater effect upon ext 1 rather than ext 2 as ext 1 build upon topics within adv but are usually a bit more advance, whereas ext 2 is usually entirely new content. At my school the way it is structured is that ext 1 classes are run at the same time as adv classes within school time and both advanced and ext 1 topics are covered within the class. Meanwhile ext 2 class happens outside the normal school day. If your ext 1 class covers both ext 1 and adv content the same way mine does then you should be fine, however if this isn't the case you may struggle greatly.

Ultimately the decision is up to you and depends upon what interests you and what career path you are thinking of. Remember you can always begin ext 2 at the beginning of next term then decided to drop it if it gets to difficult with keeping up with all the content.

fx82au

HSC
Extension 2 is similar to physics in that there is some overlap within the concepts that are covered, mainly mechanics and vectors. However ext 2 goes beyond physics in that it looks at resisted motion as well as using calculus in modelling motion. Extension 2 maths also covers a wide range of other topics such as complex numbers, proofs and further proof by induction.

In terms of the problem with lessons, that may have a greater effect upon ext 1 rather than ext 2 as ext 1 build upon topics within adv but are usually a bit more advance, whereas ext 2 is usually entirely new content. At my school the way it is structured is that ext 1 classes are run at the same time as adv classes within school time and both advanced and ext 1 topics are covered within the class. Meanwhile ext 2 class happens outside the normal school day. If your ext 1 class covers both ext 1 and adv content the same way mine does then you should be fine, however if this isn't the case you may struggle greatly.

Ultimately the decision is up to you and depends upon what interests you and what career path you are thinking of. Remember you can always begin ext 2 at the beginning of next term then decided to drop it if it gets to difficult with keeping up with all the content.
thanks for the info. my school is very stingy in giving out classes, so i might have to talk to my deputy principal on how my classes and timetable will look like. my school hasnt had an ext2 class in about 15 years, so its gonna be tough for the teachers to plan the classes as well.

Books582

HSC
thanks for the info. my school is very stingy in giving out classes, so i might have to talk to my deputy principal on how my classes and timetable will look like. my school hasnt had an ext2 class in about 15 years, so its gonna be tough for the teachers to plan the classes as well.
Well best of luck and enjoy your hsc next year

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)