Ext Japanese (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey,

Second post on this board. I think it's great.

Anyway, I'm in yr 11 and I was wandering if it's worth it to take up Extension Japanese next year? My Jap teacher said it's a lot of work, but she also made it sound like it would be worth it and that it would help a lot with your 2U jap. My marks aren't bad.

But I heard it's really hard and stressful, something like English, but in Japanese. I can't decide between ext Jap or ext history... it's killing me.

Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

And sorry if there's already a thread on this somewhere...

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
it depends whether you enjoy studying japanese. If you're already despising 2u...then taking up extension would make your life worse because you have to constantly write essays, essays n essays! However if you have a genuine interest in studying the language, extension jap would definitely be an advantage to your 2u component.

Extension japanese is not really stressful at all... if you do your homework. For me, it was one of my most relaxed subjects!

P

pLuvia

mushroom_head said:
it depends whether you enjoy studying japanese. If you're already despising 2u...then taking up extension would make your life worse because you have to constantly write essays, essays n essays! However if you have a genuine interest in studying the language, extension jap would definitely be an advantage to your 2u component.

Extension japanese is not really stressful at all... if you do your homework. For me, it was one of my most relaxed subjects!
lol.. thats gud then.... lol.. are u majoring in japanese in uni... coz thats wat im thinking of doin.. B. arts and science

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
yep... i'm doing com/arts, majoring in japanese studies for my arts degree n i absolutely <3 <3 <3 it! It's really worthwhile to study a language cos it can come in handy!

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
yep... i'm doing com/arts, majoring in japanese studies for my arts degree n i absolutely <3 <3 <3 it! It's really worthwhile to study a language cos it can come in handy! and make sure u study it at unsw too!

P

pLuvia

mushroom_head said:
yep... i'm doing com/arts, majoring in japanese studies for my arts degree n i absolutely <3 <3 <3 it! It's really worthwhile to study a language cos it can come in handy! and make sure u study it at unsw too!

im thinking of studying it at usyd.. doin B.arts/B. science

majoring japanese and pharmacy or sumthin..

is doin a combined course hard..?? or is it better off majoring JUST japanese??

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
kadlil said:
im thinking of studying it at usyd.. doin B.arts/B. science

majoring japanese and pharmacy or sumthin..

is doin a combined course hard..?? or is it better off majoring JUST japanese??
not sure abt usyd, but at unsw, u can have 4 majors if ur doing a combined course (but not for law). alternatively, you could have japanese as just single major for arts, and then 1 or 2 majors for ur science degree. i wouldnt like to scare u, but if u want to go uni, dont u dare say that the hsc is hard! beyond compare.... muahahaha...=p

back to the topic! Well, Jap EXT wasn't all tat stressful. To me, it was English + Japanese combined in the sense that you write essays, but in Japanese!!! None of that boring Continuers stuff like talk about your holiday.

In Jap EXT, you write about issues that require some thought....like the impact of technology and disability and discrimination and so on. My teacher said if you're good at English (or at least have some good ideas and willing to elaborate on them in Japanese) then you'll be well suited. It isn't cinch...and obviously requires work =)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
doing a combined course isn't hard because you just enrol in the same number of courses each semester... the only difference is that it'll take u longer to graduate since it's a double degree

HSC
Thanks for any advice guys, much appreciated :)

Well I definitely don't despise Japanese, but my brother, from experience, told me to do subjects that will get you good marks, don't do what you like. So I guess I'm still tossing between ext Jap or ext hist.

Thanks again. This message board is awesome.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
if thats the case, then do ext 2 maths or english! forget jap or history!
deary, do what u want to do,and do bloody well in them! there were these twins last yr who topped textiles and got a whopping uai of 99+. =)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
usually if you enjoy what you do...then u will do well in it. there is no point choosing a high scaling subject if you know you're going to hate it for a whole year.

flip_flop

can't think straight.
HSC
Yesyesyes

OMG. HANDS DOWN: EXT JAP.

you will love it.

if you enjoy 2u, then 3u is just like.... MORE 2u. lol

well not really. but what it does do, is give a chance to be more sopisticaed in your approach to japanese. 3u teaches you to be more consequential in the construction of arguments, which will do wonders for your 2u work. you will undoubtly have the upper hand.

also, there is no prescribed vocab or kanji for 3u, which may seem disorientating, when in fact it prevents you from becoming confused as to what u may or may nor be able to use in a certain exam (like in 4u maths).

it IS tough work. but, so is any extension course. but extension jap is very rewarding, and is a must for any pasisoante student of japanese :)

im doing it now, so if u have any questions - ask away!

Last edited:

yupgisonyun

HSC
i dunno about "alot more work" honestly you don't really learn that much more things... just a lil more vocabs and very few structures..... you probably learn them in continuers anyway or you come across it be4.... anyway you just hav to be abl to analyze things a bit more in depth......... i don't find it any more greatly challenging than continuers~ besides theres no point doing continuers in a language if you're not doing extension.... seriously..

HSC
^^ Thanks for your opinions.

Is it true that Ext Jap is simply like doing English in Japanese?

The topics for ext jap sound really difficult, not to mention another speaking exam which usually go well for me but stress me out a lot beforehand.

If any of you do history ext and jap ext as well, which would you recommend? If you don't, then never mind :)

I do like Japanese. But the competition in my school is tough, so sometimes I just feel discouraged and like I can't keep up because everyone is good. Our school tops Japanese in the state or something great like that so everyone is really good.

I ranked 19/26 for this half-year in Japanese so that's why I'm having doubts about picking up ext.

Is the workload excessive compared to other subjects? Because even now in yr 11, we get tests every week.

P

pLuvia

sweetsweetcandy said:
^^ Thanks for your opinions.

Is it true that Ext Jap is simply like doing English in Japanese?

The topics for ext jap sound really difficult, not to mention another speaking exam which usually go well for me but stress me out a lot beforehand.

If any of you do history ext and jap ext as well, which would you recommend? If you don't, then never mind :)

I do like Japanese. But the competition in my school is tough, so sometimes I just feel discouraged and like I can't keep up because everyone is good. Our school tops Japanese in the state or something great like that so everyone is really good.

I ranked 19/26 for this half-year in Japanese so that's why I'm having doubts about picking up ext.

Is the workload excessive compared to other subjects? Because even now in yr 11, we get tests every week.
lol.. u get tests evry week.. i want tests evry week.. u study, and revise evrything thus it will stay in ur head.. i wish i was at ur skooll....

HSC
kadlil said:
lol.. u get tests evry week.. i want tests evry week.. u study, and revise evrything thus it will stay in ur head.. i wish i was at ur skooll....
I know it's good for us, but it's very time consuming and thus takes away time from other subjects quite a bit. So that's kind of why I'm worried about doing ext jap.

P

pLuvia

oo i get what you mean like you spend too much time on tests that you get side tracked from the syllabus etc right.. ?.. yeh wakatta lol

sate.. gabatta ne

Lain

HSC
Extension Japanese does require more work in the way that you need to spend a fair bit of time on it if you are going to do really well in it.. Are you an English-y person? I only do Advanced English, and not going too well in it either.., but I still do extension Jap. It makes the decision a bit harder if you are good at English, history and all the essays that go with it! I personally would rather write our extension Jap essays than English essays...

It helps with continuers as you are generally exposed to more Japanese. With speaking, when you practise, you are practising the skills of conjuring up sophisticated and meaningful sentences, promptly, fluently and accurately, a good bonus if you want more practice (and I find, confidence, as well) for continuers speaking. There's no external listening exam for extension (ie no HSC listening) but your school probably tests listening for extension in the school assessments.

sweetsweetcandy said:
Ahh, sounds like my school too :p

The issues seem difficult at first but as with anything that's difficult, you just make sure you familiarise yourself with it before you go into any major exam. It really shouldn't be a problem, at least it shouldn't be a discouraging factor. It might be difficult but in the challenging way; it's perfectly do-able with the right guidance and the effort, and with that, it should be a very rewarding subject :) (marks wise, but not limited to that)

MangoAvocado

HSC
I did both ext hist and ext japanese. As long as you stay motivated and you're willing to put in the work, it's definitely possible to do both subjects together.

Even if you're a bit worried about your japanese results, give ext a go since it'll definitely help you with organising your written pieces (especially the pesuasive one) and besides, if you're interested in the japanese, it'll be a great way to learn more about the language.

If you're in a top performing school, I wouldn't worry too much about rankings...that probably means you get pretty reasonable scaling. It's probably safe to at least give ext japanese a try.

Sorry this all sounds rather vague but seriously, it all comes down to how confident you feel about the two subjects. Hope this helps! :)

HSC
MangoAvocado said:
I did both ext hist and ext japanese. As long as you stay motivated and you're willing to put in the work, it's definitely possible to do both subjects together.

Even if you're a bit worried about your japanese results, give ext a go since it'll definitely help you with organising your written pieces (especially the pesuasive one) and besides, if you're interested in the japanese, it'll be a great way to learn more about the language.

If you're in a top performing school, I wouldn't worry too much about rankings...that probably means you get pretty reasonable scaling. It's probably safe to at least give ext japanese a try.

I'm just wandering, since you did both hist ext and ext jap, which did you like better? Is it true that hist ext is easy marks? I've heard that ext languages is a lot harder than hist ext.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)