Extension English yr11 (1 Viewer)

louise08

HSC
The whole year we have been studying the 'greek gods'. (Iliad, Helen of Troy, Song of Troy)
Is this normal? I thought topics should be changed throughout the year. I thought I would really enjoy extension english, but the greek gods and I dont really relate.

Cerry

HSC
It's fairly normal - some schools will have decided before hand which topic they'll do in year 12, and then spend all of year 11 doing things related to that. Other schools let the students choose which topic they want to do, and as a result, may try a few different things. We were tossing up between Individual and Society, and Postmodernism, so spent half of year 11 on each, then made a choice.
In year 12, you'll be doing one unit the whole year, so if you get a topic you hate, then you're pretty much screwed.
Based on those books, I'd say you'll probably be doing revenge tragedy next year (but I could very easily be wrong), which actually sounds quite interesting.

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
Year 11 is bullshit. You spend a whole year on the same thing.

louise08

HSC
How is extension english tested in the HSC then? If alot of schools do different topics?

Cerry

HSC
The paper is divided into sections - one for Module A, one for Module B, and one for Module C. Each module is then divided into its electives. You answer one question specifically for your elective, and one for your entire module. At the marking centre, they have people marking each section. So some people will be marking Module A, elective 1, some will be doing Module B, elective 1, etc. It's pretty much the same as the other papers for English.
There are past papers up on the board of studies site, which you can download so you can see the format.

amybaker1990

HSC
in year 11 i did two topics...
the poetry of sylvia plath and
fairy tales. i have no idea how sylvia plath related but all the stuuf on fairytales was valued related so that corresponds to me doing crime fiction now..
i wonder whyi did 2 and others only do one?

gemgem101

HSC
Weve been doing gender representation?
Studying Much Ado About Nothing and stuff..
I havent found anyone else who is doing this though?
Haha..
=S

HSC
In extension you only do one elective of one module the entire year. Last year I studied 'the Quest' the entire year, but obviously it varies depending on what your school chose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)