Extention Speaking: Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

illmtl

HSC
I don't know about others but those speaking questions were really nasty!:(

I have actually seen my teacher since (yes this is remarkable cos I've another week of trials to go) and she said that the word in the question that they used for adversity doesn't even mean adversity, but 'acts of fate'.

I just started this thread for a whinge, but I'd like to know what others think.

Lori.

HSC
I thought the questions were really hard as well. I knew that the translation for that question was wrong, so I prepared to answer the english question and then got totally stuck when the examiner read out the german question - because my answer was so irrelevant.
Does anyone reckon we can make an appeal to get us better marks??? Stupid teachers who can't even understand the language themselves :(

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
I'm curious, having done German ages ago, and not done this exam, what word did they use for "adversity" that meant "acts of fate"? War das Wort "Schicksal", die Widrigkeit oder etwas anderes?

Lori.

HSC
They used "Schicksalsschlaege" for "adversity"

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Schicksalsschlag der; ein sehr schlimmes Ereignis, das das Leben eines Menschen sehr negativ verändert

The English/German dictionary says "stroke of fate" or "misfortune".

From dictionary.com
ad‧ver‧si‧ty  /ædˈvɜr
ti/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ad-vur-si-tee] http://community.boredofstudies.org/ –noun, plural -ties for 2. <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr><td valign="top" class="dn">1.</td><td valign="top">adverse fortune or fate; a condition marked by misfortune, calamity, or distress: A friend will show his or her true colors in times of adversity. </td></tr></tbody> </table> <table class="luna-Ent"> <tbody><tr><td valign="top" class="dn">2.</td><td valign="top">an adverse or unfortunate event or circumstance: You will meet many adversities in life.</td></tr></tbody> </table>

I love the way German helps you better understand the English language. It is so literal in many respects.

Schicksalsschlag - fate hit

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)