Extra studying apart from Uni commitments (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Seeing that I only have to attend uni for like 15 hours per week, I have a vast amount of time in my hand. I know that I will have to invest all that free time into studying, socilising and whatnot, I am interested in other studying options which will help me broaden my career horizon.

I am especially interested in studying about property investment, stock market...how will I go about studying that? TAFE? I am not considering any serious study tbh - just interested to learn how they work and etc, pretty much all the big picture stuff.

Someone please give me some good ideas. Thanks

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I wouldn't start anything other than satisfying general curiosity until the first semester has ended. While 15hrs per week sounds easy wait to see what the work load is like, there is a lot more study thats not included in the contact hours - of course this depends on the person and degree, just take it easy at the begining.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Do you have the option to take open electives that count toward your degree? If so, why not take subjects with what you have in mind as electives?

If not, you could always consider TAFE study. As well as doing my degree, I'm studying for a Cert III traineeship through my work, and plan to take on a Cert IV next year. You don't have to attend a campus, there's always the option of studying through OTEN: TAFE NSW OTEN Online Courses and Distance Education

Considering you're going to be at uni though, you could always sit in on other lectures just out of interest, if you find out when they're scheduled. I've done this for an engineering subject before. Just make sure you look like you're actually taking the subject, bring lecture pads and don't go to small lectures where you'll stick out :p

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Seeing that I only have to attend uni for like 15 hours per week, I have a vast amount of time in my hand. I know that I will have to invest all that free time into studying, socilising and whatnot, I am interested in other studying options which will help me broaden my career horizon.

I am especially interested in studying about property investment, stock market...how will I go about studying that? TAFE? I am not considering any serious study tbh - just interested to learn how they work and etc, pretty much all the big picture stuff.

Someone please give me some good ideas. Thanks
Contact hours don't really make up the larger part of uni study, you have to do quite a bit of independent study if you are aiming to do well. I think you'll find that while you end up spending less time at the institution you end up doing far more work than at high school.

rx34

HSC
Contact hours don't really make up the larger part of uni study, you have to do quite a bit of independent study if you are aiming to do well. I think you'll find that while you end up spending less time at the institution you end up doing far more work than at high school.
Yes, I agree with this. OP, you have 15 hours, so I'm assuming you are doing just commerce or commerce/law? As a guideline to get distinctions, you should spend approx. 2-3 hours a day studying.

Also, if you are really into investment, maybe take up a finance major that would teach you the technicalities of finance. But if you prefer a more hands-on experience, maybe the tafe option you suggested might be better.

debts

HSC
N/A
i might be undertaking cross-institutional enrolment so i can do electives at other universities, although i can only do so because my uni doesn't offer similar electives. although i don't think this is completely applicable to you namu since you want to do something related to your course. :p

KarmaKitten

HSC
Agreed. I think the OP should start university first before assuming they have a vast amount of spare time available to them.

Last edited:

runnable

HSC
Agreed. I think the OP should start university first before assuming they a vast amount of spare time available to them.
+1

You can wait for 1 sem and see how you are coping with uni. Not too late to start more activities then.

rx34

HSC
+1

You can wait for 1 sem and see how you are coping with uni. Not too late to start more activities then.
Yep, my parents actually share your sentiments. They are against me taking up a german language course. Rather, they want me to wait for one semester, see how things go and whether I can cope with a double degree.

John555

HSC
Yep, my parents actually share your sentiments. They are against me taking up a german language course. Rather, they want me to wait for one semester, see how things go and whether I can cope with a double degree.
You still do 4 units per semester in a double degree, so I don't see how it is anymore rigorous than a single degree.

rx34

HSC
You still do 4 units per semester in a double degree, so I don't see how it is anymore rigorous than a single degree.
Yes it is still 4 units, but it's the law part they are worried about. It definitely requires more effort to get a distinction than commerce courses. In addition, I'm moving to Sydney and living on-campus. So they're worried about the new environment too.

madsam

God among men
HSC
arn't you supposed to do an hour study for every hour of contact? So thats 30 hours a week, and compared to a full time job of 40+ hours a week, and wanting a social life, it should be enough, right?

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I might be attending lectures to maths units that I'm not enrolled in for personal curiosity purposes...

RDX

one8seven
HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe do some short courses on your vacations

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)