failed adv and ext math :( (1 Viewer)

exojun

HSC
hey!

I personally cannot relate to your problem. I myself have never transferred to a selective school, i have been going to a top 10 selective school since year 7, and i haven't received a mark below 80 for math since year 8 and i currently take Extension 2 maths.

Why i wanted to comment was because you said you were going to drop down to advanced math. Please please please do not let one exam determine taking the subject. If anything moving to a high performing environment must have been overwhelming even more so with a pandemic and trying to catch up to the level of other students, i can begin to appreciate how difficult this must have been. As you are now doing tutoring, you need to study hard so that you can catch up to the others and most importantly show to yourself that you are capable of doing well.

I think its very important to be realistic as well. Although you were top 5 at your old school, you are now going to a school which much brighter students all of whom take their studies a tad bit more importantly. That top 5 would not translate linearly to a high rank at your new school. Continuing your 3U studies and getting better (this is important you do need to improve from 18%) could majorly impact your HSC.

Good luck for the rest of the year!

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
hey!

I personally cannot relate to your problem. I myself have never transferred to a selective school, i have been going to a top 10 selective school since year 7, and i haven't received a mark below 80 for math since year 8 and i currently take Extension 2 maths.

Why i wanted to comment was because you said you were going to drop down to advanced math. Please please please do not let one exam determine taking the subject. If anything moving to a high performing environment must have been overwhelming even more so with a pandemic and trying to catch up to the level of other students, i can begin to appreciate how difficult this must have been. As you are now doing tutoring, you need to study hard so that you can catch up to the others and most importantly show to yourself that you are capable of doing well.

I think its very important to be realistic as well. Although you were top 5 at your old school, you are now going to a school which much brighter students all of whom take their studies a tad bit more importantly. That top 5 would not translate linearly to a high rank at your new school. Continuing your 3U studies and getting better (this is important you do need to improve from 18%) could majorly impact your HSC.

Hi, do u mean talking a bit about what 4u is like and how well one has to do in 3u to manage 4u.

exojun

HSC
Hi, do u mean talking a bit about what 4u is like and how well one has to do in 3u to manage 4u.
Personally i have really enjoyed the 4U course. I quite like maths, so i enjoyed learning about the harder and more complex topics. Not gonna lie though at times it does get really challenging but i am a firm believer in really understanding the concepts behind each formula and topic which has helped me maintain a good rank in school. Some of the 4U topics (integration, mechanics and vector) are just extensions upon the content you learn in the 3U course.

About how well you have to do in 3U to manage 4U I wouldn't really say a very 1:1 relationship exists. You can be better at the 4U course than the 3U course (as 3U has more topics). Ideally though you would want to do well in both. If you keep on top of the subjects covered in class and practise (practise is really important, you want to expose yourself to as many question types) then you should be fine.

B1andB2

oui oui baguette
HSC
N/A
Personally i have really enjoyed the 4U course. I quite like maths, so i enjoyed learning about the harder and more complex topics. Not gonna lie though at times it does get really challenging but i am a firm believer in really understanding the concepts behind each formula and topic which has helped me maintain a good rank in school. Some of the 4U topics (integration, mechanics and vector) are just extensions upon the content you learn in the 3U course.

About how well you have to do in 3U to manage 4U I wouldn't really say a very 1:1 relationship exists. You can be better at the 4U course than the 3U course (as 3U has more topics). Ideally though you would want to do well in both. If you keep on top of the subjects covered in class and practise (practise is really important, you want to expose yourself to as many question types) then you should be fine.
thank you so much!

mikrokosmos

HSC
hey!

thank you for this <3 i am keeping 3u for the rest of 2020 (bc i need 11u for 4u eng) so term 1 of year 12, but we shall see!

thank you again! good luck with trials/hsc <3

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
thank you for this <3 i am keeping 3u for the rest of 2020 (bc i need 11u for 4u eng) so term 1 of year 12, but we shall see!

thank you again! good luck with trials/hsc <3
It's also worth considering what your post-school ambitions are, and what amount of maths might be useful / relevant there. Maths is about more than knowing topics and solving problems, it teaches a form of logical reasoning that is a valuable tool in a variety of areas.

mmmm.

HSC
I've been in the same position in you, however i was in 5.2 for yr10 and for my first test in yr11 advanced i got 36%, but now i am getting in the 80s. You'll be fine, all you need to do is spend time doing questions and making sure you understand each topic.

mikrokosmos

HSC
I've been in the same position in you, however i was in 5.2 for yr10 and for my first test in yr11 advanced i got 36%, but now i am getting in the 80s. You'll be fine, all you need to do is spend time doing questions and making sure you understand each topic.
that's so amazing! thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)