Farm subsidies (1 Viewer)

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about farm subsidies. It's been a pretty hot issue in the Coalition party room and I got a pretty strong opinion on it too.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
I think its a good short-term solution, but it wont solve anything, there needs to be more water supply and dams created so that there is enough water storage for Australian droughts

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
Do you think that they are getting too much money out of the goverment or too little?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I think there needs to be teraforming :D

could they phase out agriculture slowly? and replace with industry?
or is that stupid.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Korn said:
I think its a good short-term solution, but it wont solve anything, there needs to be more water supply and dams created so that there is enough water storage for Australian droughts
That or radical reforms could be pushed through so that the only agricultural systems that exist out in the rural areas are those that are sustainable in an Australian sense.

The handouts are fine provided that they don't encourage the continuation of past (and current) practices. Unfortunately, I believe that only those that own/lease a considerable amount of land are able to actually adopt sustainable systems that are in some way effective (ABC radio a few days ago).

Though many young people may be giving up on a future out in the bush, right now there is a need to deal with those still trying to make a living out on the land. Until a 'Tasmanian Forests' like rural policy emerges (and is recognised as being the best option), there will always be a need to bail out the farmers for merely trying to make a living in an erratic and dry environment.

Edit: As you can see, I'm not a child of the land.

Last edited:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
mr_shittles said:
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know what everyone thinks about farm subsidies. It's been a pretty hot issue in the Coalition party room and I got a pretty strong opinion on it too.
Bloody farmers, they can water their crops with their own tears!

(dave hughes)

K

katie_tully

As a farmers daughter I'll refrain from posting a bias opinion on this topic.
...Actually, I'll post later.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think that perhaps subsidies could be provided on the condition that they go towards better equipment for more sustainable practices. How you would go about policing this I have no idea, though.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
withoutaface said:
I think that perhaps subsidies could be provided on the condition that they go towards better equipment for more sustainable practices. How you would go about policing this I have no idea, though.

make the better equipment cheaper to buy and use

you dont have to force them, just make it the better option in all senses

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
make the better equipment cheaper to buy and use

you dont have to force them, just make it the better option in all senses
Or give them gift vouchers:p

K

katie_tully

Proposed Package
- A doubling of the off farm asset threshold to $400,000
- an extension of the streamlined reassessment process for drought declared areas nearing the end of their two year assistance period
- an increase in interest rate subsidies from 50% - 75%
- a major boost in staff and funding for rural financial counselling program

Now, some information for your pleasure :)
- Agriculture is the LEAST supported major industry in Australia, and dought aid pales into insignificance when compared to the ongoing assistance provided to the manufacturing industry
- in 2003-2004, the government provided $11 billion in business support to other forms of industry, of which the manufacturing industry recieved $10 bill.
- the automotive industry recieved $3 bill in direct tax concessions, while the services sector recieved $800 mill.
- The housing industry recieved a $5.6 b boost since the government introduced the first home buyers grant
- Drought affected farmers recieved $79 million in direct business support, and $137 mill a year in welfare support. Making the total support provided over three years, $670 mill.

:)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Spending is greater on other industries because the government sees those industries as more valuable, sustainable and central to our economy.

K

katie_tully

MoonlightSonata said:
Spending is greater on other industries because the government sees those industries as more valuable, sustainable and central to our economy.
Are you saying that purely because you think it's what the government thinks, or because you think agriculture isn't valuable, sustainable and central to our economy...Just so I don't rant for no reason :)

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Are you saying that purely because you think it's what the government thinks, or because you think agriculture isn't valuable, sustainable and central to our economy...Just so I don't rant for no reason :)
I think that the importance of farming is far less significant today and that there should be less focus on it. While it may have been essential to our economy 100 years ago, it's our reliance on and failure to change from agricultural commodities that brought about Australia's recent economic problems. (Additionally, with ongoing droughts it also appears less sustainable.)

I also think the government would actually be doing a lot more to shift from the farming industry if it weren't for the Nationals.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
As it stands, I'm on dialup at the moment and it's taking me forever to access information.

http://www.abareconomics.com/

Enjoy.
If you think I'm going to read aimlessly through the entire site, think again! Yes, it is the site of the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics. What's your point?

K

katie_tully

MoonlightSonata said:
If you think I'm going to read aimlessly through the entire site, think again! Yes, it is the site of the Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics. What's your point?
Fuck.

Here's an idea for you.
As I said, I'm on dialup and cannot access information quickly at the moment. The link is there for me to access tomorrow, without looking for the website again.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
katie_tully said:
Fuck.

Here's an idea for you.
As I said, I'm on dialup and cannot access information quickly at the moment. The link is there for me to access tomorrow, without looking for the website again.
Right, it's there for you.... hence the "enjoy" remark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)