Fat arms (1 Viewer)

Abide

Wie gehts?
HSC
N/A
My arms look so fat when they're down... I don't think weight is an issue cus I'm skinny overall with a BMI of 20. I think it's because they're not firm enough. Can anyone recommend some exercises to fix this problem?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So you wan't to tone up your arms?

Then do arm exercises. As a start I would suggest:

Chin-ups.
Bicep curls.
Tricep dips.
Wrist curls.

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
or swimming would be good (freestyle or butterfly). my sis goes swimming twice a week and she has quite firm arms without having massive muscles bulging out.

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
you need to tone the back of your arms, your triceps. to do this, lift weights behind your head, do tricep push ups (arms close by your sides) or benchpress with hands close together aiming for between your chest and stomach.

bex

HSC
eeeew i hate my fat arms.. they are the one part of my body that i would have operated in tomorow if i could...

SO UGLY

HSC
miss_gtr said:
No need for swimming!
Grab a chair and do 3 sets of 10 dips.

So you put your hands on the seat and dip your bottom down using your arms to anchor yourself back up..
miss_gtr has got the way to go. dips do the triceps, push ups do biceps. no need to spend time at a gym.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Arm exercises will not reduce the amount of fat you have on your arms. Such exercises, if done properly, with cause hypertrophy (enlargement of the muscle fibres), but will unfortunately not affect the amount of fat on your arms.

To reduce fat you need to do cardio and diet.

HSC
no, exercices will tone the arms, reducing the fat. i dont a pdh assesment on this 97%, and my gran is a retired racewalking olympic coach with the ATFCA, so i do know what im saying!

hYperTrOphY

HSC
lil lelu said:
no, exercices will tone the arms, reducing the fat. i dont a pdh assesment on this 97%, and my gran is a retired racewalking olympic coach with the ATFCA, so i do know what im saying!
Resistance training is anaerobic. Its results in muscular hypertrophy. As I just mentioned in another thread, to suggest that resistance training tones or reduces body fat would be to suggest that spot reduction works (which it doesn't).

If you disagree can you please explain, scientifically, how resistance training reduces the bodyfat of the area being trained.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
lil lelu said:
miss_gtr has got the way to go. dips do the triceps, push ups do biceps. no need to spend time at a gym.
Can you also explain hoe push-ups work the biceps?

Push-ups work the chest, triceps and deltoids.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
Abide said:
My arms look so fat when they're down... I don't think weight is an issue cus I'm skinny overall with a BMI of 20. I think it's because they're not firm enough. Can anyone recommend some exercises to fix this problem?
if we mix our arms, we can have normal amrs

my arms are scrawny for my size :eek:

much <3

cataleptic

HSC
Yoga/Yogalates.

You'd be suprised at how much it works all the muscles in your body. You get a really nice toned look when you work at it, without being bulky at all.

Always

HSC
Pilates!!

It gave me great abs and it's SO good for toning any part of the body.

If you're going to be using weights or anything that builds muscle, make sure you stretch well before and after, or else you WILL end up with bulky muscles.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
If you're going to be using weights or anything that builds muscle, make sure you stretch well before and after, or else you WILL end up with bulky muscles.
WTF? Can you please explain that for me??

ben_au69

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
Can you also explain hoe push-ups work the biceps?

Push-ups work the chest, triceps and deltoids.

true. if you want to work the bis, barbell curls, chin ups and bent over rows are a good place to start

Always

HSC
hYperTrOphY said:
WTF? Can you please explain that for me??
The muscle build-up will be concentrated in one area, hence the "chunky" look. If you stretch well, it helps to elongate your muscles giving you a leaner look.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Always said:
The muscle build-up will be concentrated in one area, hence the "chunky" look. If you stretch well, it helps to elongate your muscles giving you a leaner look.
Who told you that?

Firstly, can you explain what you mean by "muscle build-up"? You increase the size of your muscle(s) through resistance. Damage to the muscle fibres results in subsequent muscular adaptation = hypertrophy. This is a gradual process. That is, your muscles do not increase in size (or "chunkiness") as you train, or directly after you train. The only change in size will be due to blood flow, commonly referred to as a 'pump'.
Strethching before or after will therfore not affect which muscle fibres have, or have not been activated; this is determined by the range of motion used during your training.

Stretching after you have properly warmed up and after training does have many benefits - however, making you leaner or "less chunky" is not, to my knowledge, one of them.

davo_

good kid
HSC
It's a common myth that working a certain area of the body will lower the fat in that area. Fat distribution is due to genetics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)