feedback mechanism (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hmmm...

gather, process and analyse information from secondary sources and use available evidence to develop a model of a feedback mechanism
can somebody give me some examples of this please? i'm doing my summaries and i'm not sure if i understand whats going on

Huy

HSC
N/A
Surviving Under Changing Conditions
http://www.thomsonlearning.com.au/b...1.html?/biology/guide/unit_3/s2.html~maintext

Scroll down to "Feedback Systems"
Plenty of diagrams there to help you visualise it.

Background
The body has some effective mechanisms to alter body temperature. To reduce temperature, heat can be expelled by sweating or radiation of heat from the skin. To increase heat, the body can responds by shivering or by contracting the skin. These responses can be activated by heat receptors. If a mechanism is activated, it will operate until receptors indicate that the optimum temperature has been reached.

If receptors in the skin detect heat, they relay information via the nerves to the hypothalamus, which also contains receptors sensitive to the heat of passing blood. This triggers the sympathetic nervous system to dilate skin capillaries and activate sweat glands. When receptors in the skin detect a low temperature, a negative feedback mechanism is activated to stop the original action. If skin temperature is still low, the hypothalamus may activate thyroid hormones to increase metabolic rate, activate the sympathetic nervous system to shut down skin capillaries and sweat glands and activate food metabolism in the liver to produce heat. In this way, the body can maintain a stable body temperature.

* Gather samples of feedback mechanisms from biology texts. Often, analogies, such as the operation of a thermostat in a refrigerator or an air conditioning system, are used.

* Process the samples to identify the common elements of each system. Evaluate the validity of your sources by checking the reputation of the sources and by looking to see how consistently the information compares.

* Analyse and use the information to design a creative model to represent a feedback mechanism. The model might be a physical model, e.g. maybe based on a see-saw action, or it might be a conceptual model, based on an analogy.

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Errr you don't do biology Huy...
are you post-stalking me again?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by babydoll_
Errr you don't do biology Huy...
I know I don't. Can't a guy help his fiancee out? :D

are you post-stalking me again?
No, I'm on the "new posts" page

...and what do you mean "again" :eek:

Last edited:

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Hahahah fine...
I'll take it as a sign of affection
Albeit a strange one, but cute all the same

*mwah*

s2ophie

HSC
so you and huy haven't actually got married yet? i thought you did. watch out Huy doesn't come dressed as Clark Kent to the wedding:p

Anyway attatched is my feedback mechanism. I hope its what you're looking for

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by s2ophie
so you and huy haven't actually got married yet? i thought you did. watch out Huy doesn't come dressed as Clark Kent to the wedding:p
No, we're not married yet.

:rolleyes: at the Clark Kent comment.

...I already look like Kent, what with the glasses and the speedy typing, not to mention the six pack (cough)

:whistles:

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
...I already look like Kent, what with the glasses and the speedy typing, not to mention the six pack (cough)

:whistles:
really now? whens the bucks night? you know getting married is a life long committment...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by s2ophie
really now? whens the bucks night? you know getting married is a life long committment...
we got married in a quiet vegas ceremony already

tempco

HSC
quiet/vegas? Those two words don't seem to fit together!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)