Feel Like I Cant Engage With Anything? (1 Viewer)

Akuri

HSC
N/A
The concepts aren't hard for me to grasp, but when given a huge paragraph of text, I become incredibly sluggish and I cant retain any of it. I've found ways to work around it, like extending explanations to infographics or videos ( essentially more engaging visually ) or doing face-to-face lessons wherein there's a more active conversation, but I cant shake the constant frustration of losing interest in an interesting topic and letting my work become sloppy because of it. I just got a half grade on a simple chemistry quiz with all the answers clearly explained - because my brain couldn't sit still long enough to focus and get engaged. This also affects my motivation/confidence, because my teachers assume I cant understand the content, when I just need it presented differently. I think, because it is so specific, I'll have to teach myself in this roundabout way forever.

Does anyone else have this? What helps you? Are there any methods for 'slowing down' your brain when working?

Carl10101

HSC
Yeah I kinda feel this way with subjects I find boring, or when the current topic within a subject is boring or feels pointless.

My main way of getting around it is really trying to grasp concepts in chunks that are very small, or just sitting down for a long session and getting as much done as possible in one go in order to just get through it and then make notes for easier/less boring revision later on.

As for slowing down whilst working, I make sure that whenever I feel like I want to do something other than the work (like playing video games, reading or watching dramas), I remind myself that once the work is done I will feel better when relaxing than I would if I relaxed without having the work completed.

Idk I would just trial and error different methods like short chunks or longer focused sessions or self-teaching, until you find something that works best for you.

skiddys

HSC
I relate to this!! I really struggle reading textbooks and anything that's longer than like 3 pages really.

It takes me ages to write notes from large chunks of text. I used to read line by line and I felt like everything was super important so I almost ended up copying things word for word and calling them "notes". Then I'd get agitated because the note-taking process felt so long.

The best thing for me is to skim read it once, doesn't matter if I don't really get the content. Then I read it one more time more carefully and because I've been exposed (even if minimally) to the information before from the skim read, I find I take in the info a little better and I'm able to take more concise notes. Then I turn those notes into flashcards. Because my attention span is so limited I can only really sit down and absorb flashcard sized info. Also, they're just easier to carry around.

Also if you find yourself more of a visual/audio learner. As weird as this is, try to record yourself explaining concepts and just listen to them on your way to school or whatever. Maybe you'll be good enough to start a podcast lol.

idkkdi

HSC
I relate to this!! I really struggle reading textbooks and anything that's longer than like 3 pages really.

It takes me ages to write notes from large chunks of text. I used to read line by line and I felt like everything was super important so I almost ended up copying things word for word and calling them "notes". Then I'd get agitated because the note-taking process felt so long.

The best thing for me is to skim read it once, doesn't matter if I don't really get the content. Then I read it one more time more carefully and because I've been exposed (even if minimally) to the information before from the skim read, I find I take in the info a little better and I'm able to take more concise notes. Then I turn those notes into flashcards. Because my attention span is so limited I can only really sit down and absorb flashcard sized info. Also, they're just easier to carry around.

Also if you find yourself more of a visual/audio learner. As weird as this is, try to record yourself explaining concepts and just listen to them on your way to school or whatever. Maybe you'll be good enough to start a podcast lol.
Same this is literally me, whenever I have large chunks of texts and I have to simplify them I would end up copying word to word since I would be under the impression that I might miss any notes that might be important
Yeah I kinda feel this way with subjects I find boring, or when the current topic within a subject is boring or feels pointless.

My main way of getting around it is really trying to grasp concepts in chunks that are very small, or just sitting down for a long session and getting as much done as possible in one go in order to just get through it and then make notes for easier/less boring revision later on.

As for slowing down whilst working, I make sure that whenever I feel like I want to do something other than the work (like playing video games, reading or watching dramas), I remind myself that once the work is done I will feel better when relaxing than I would if I relaxed without having the work completed.

Idk I would just trial and error different methods like short chunks or longer focused sessions or self-teaching, until you find something that works best for you.
This is exactly why I stopped writing notes. I literally copied down what felt like half the textbook.

Congrats, if you find it boring, then chances are you either don't understand it, or it's so easy that it requires no brain power. In the case that you don't understand and hence aren't bothered to attack the content, you really don't have much of a choice. Get it done now or suffer later, hopefully not the night before an exam.

If your attention span is limited, chances are, you, are a dopamine addict. Woah, shocking revelation. Applause please. Welp, your limbic system ain't going to fix itself. Ooft. Two main ways to fix this. 1. Insane pressure overrides your need for dopamine. (i.e. night before an exam) 2. Cut off entertainment. Will feel dead for the first 2 weeks, probs.
You might ask why willpower will not do the trick. Well the fact is, if you are a dopamine addict (which is shown by an increase in boredom by anything other than your dopamine shots, i.e. social media, youtube etc.), your willpower has already failed the test. Yikes.

idkkdi

HSC
This is exactly why I stopped writing notes. I literally copied down what felt like half the textbook.

Congrats, if you find it boring, then chances are you either don't understand it, or it's so easy that it requires no brain power. In the case that you don't understand and hence aren't bothered to attack the content, you really don't have much of a choice. Get it done now or suffer later, hopefully not the night before an exam.

If your attention span is limited, chances are, you, are a dopamine addict. Woah, shocking revelation. Applause please. Welp, your limbic system ain't going to fix itself. Ooft. Two main ways to fix this. 1. Insane pressure overrides your need for dopamine. (i.e. night before an exam) 2. Cut off entertainment. Will feel dead for the first 2 weeks, probs.
You might ask why willpower will not do the trick. Well the fact is, if you are a dopamine addict (which is shown by an increase in boredom by anything other than your dopamine shots, i.e. social media, youtube etc.), your willpower has already failed the test. Yikes.
Why are we so sad? :(

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Yeah, why not, B1 and B2 hop on as well if you want.

idkkdi

HSC
every time someone asks for advice, they get a huge sardonic punch in the face from you:cook:
Poetic genius at play.

Congrats,
if you find it boring,
then chances are you either don't understand it,
or it's so easy that it requires no brains
If you don't understand,
and aren't bothered to attack the content,
you don't have any choice.

Get it done now or suffer later,
hopefully, not the night before an exam.

If your attention span is limited, chances are,
you, pal, are a dopamine addict.
Woah, shocking revelation.
Applause please. Applause again?
Welp, your limbic system ain't going to fix itself.
Ooft.
Two main ways to fix this.
One, insane pressure overrides your need for dopamine.
Two, cut off entertainment,
and feel dead for the first 2 weeks,
probs.

This is ten percent luck
Twenty percent skill
Fifteen percent concentrated power of will,
Not really actually.

You might ask why willpower will not be the Houdini here.
Well the fact is,
if you are a dopamine addict ,
your willpower has already failed the test.
Yikes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)