Few questions (1 Viewer)

Aaron.Judd

HSC
I've got a few questions that I hope you will be able to help answer for me.

Say I am ranked 3rd in Chemistry. If in the HSC exam, I come first out of my school, does the person ranked 1st get my HSC exam mark, and I get the 3rd best HSC exam mark? Likewise if I totally screwed up in the exam, would I still get the 3rd best HSC exam mark?

If what I said was wrong, could you please explain to me how it works. I'm ranked good in most subjects (first, first, third, second, 24/120+, + maths where I'm not doing so well), so just wondered what woudl happen if I screwed up in the final exams, or if those ranked above me screwed up.

How does the school group affect your result, i.e will they drag me down?

Thanks for any help you can offer. :rolleyes:

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
I'd also like to know the answer to this - from what I understand of how it works, you are spot on. But i'd still like to enjoy some clarity on the matter...

too bad you asked the question so late at night :ninja:

Aaron.Judd

HSC
Ok, what if say, keeping with the above example, I'm ranked 3rd and then come last in the HSC exam, do I still get the 3rd top exam mark?

melonkitten

HSC
its 50/50.

50% of your mark will be the 3rd person's hsc mark
the other 50% will be your real hsc mark(which will undoubtedly be shit).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Please note, except for the first and last in your cohort no one else necessarily gets the exact exam mark.

They use the top exam mark to allocate the top assessment mark and the bottom exam mark to allocate the bottom assessment mark. The exam marks are used to give the range of assessment marks for your cohort.

The next step is to add up the total number of marks earned by your cohort in the exam and this total mark is then allocated as the assessment marks for your cohort keeping in place the ranks and the gaps.

If it was a simple sway then the gaps wouldn't matter as say 3rd was only one mark behind 2nd in the internal assessments but the difference between 2nd and 3rd is 15 marks in the exam, would it be fair to allocate a mark 15 marks different to the 3rd ranked internal mark?

henry08

HSC
N/A
I also have a question.
Say A is ranked first and B is ranked second, while c is ranked 6th.
In the exam, A gets 82, B gets 96 and C gets 90
Is it correct that A gets assessment mark of 96 and B gets assessment mark of 90, so then A's mark is 82( + 96)2 = 89 HSC mark, while B's = (90 + 96) = 93 HSC mark. So I guess my question is, can a person ranked 2nd actually do better overall (betetr HSC mark) in a course than the person ranked first?

kayvon

--
HSC
see i thought what you guys were saying there was right, but today i was talking to a senior teacher at my school and she said that just because you come first doesnt automatically mean ur get the top mark. your internal mark is altered depending on ur schools result in that subject in the hsc, but ur hsc mark then becomes your altered mark + your hsc scaled mark divided by two and thats your final mark. if you think about it, the idea that just because someone comes first internally, they can get the top mark in their school is very much flawed because say i am coming first in a subject, and there are 3 other ppl 1% behind me, then you dont need to do the hsc, coz if u do it and get 0%, you will still get the highest mark of the other 3.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
henry08 said:
I also have a question.
Say A is ranked first and B is ranked second, while c is ranked 6th.
In the exam, A gets 82, B gets 96 and C gets 90
Is it correct that A gets assessment mark of 96 and B gets assessment mark of 90, so then A's mark is 82( + 96)2 = 89 HSC mark, while B's = (90 + 96) = 93 HSC mark. So I guess my question is, can a person ranked 2nd actually do better overall (betetr HSC mark) in a course than the person ranked first?

No - A will get an assessment mark of 96 and then keep their own exam mark of 82 so they will get a final HSC mark of (96+82)/2=89.

The bottom ranked student say Student C at 6th would get the 6th exam mark as their assessment mark + 90 again divided by 2 to reach their final HSC mark.

Then the rest of the class will get a moderated internal mark based in their ranks and the gaps between the different students.

It is NOT a process of giving the exam marks straight across as the assessment marks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
kayvon said:
see i thought what you guys were saying there was right, but today i was talking to a senior teacher at my school and she said that just because you come first doesnt automatically mean ur get the top mark. your internal mark is altered depending on ur schools result in that subject in the hsc, but ur hsc mark then becomes your altered mark + your hsc scaled mark divided by two and thats your final mark. if you think about it, the idea that just because someone comes first internally, they can get the top mark in their school is very much flawed because say i am coming first in a subject, and there are 3 other ppl 1% behind me, then you dont need to do the hsc, coz if u do it and get 0%, you will still get the highest mark of the other 3.
Both your teacher and the BOS are correct. You are missing one step in the process.

Your teacher sends in a set of results which give ranks and relative differences between the students. These are the assessment marks.

Everyone sits the exam.

The exam marks are then ranked for your class and the assessment marks that your teacher sent in are moderated against the exam marks.

The top ranked student will get the top exam mark as their moderated assessment mark and also keep their exam mark. These two marks are added together and divided by 2 to give this student their actual HSC mark.

Now if there is a small gap between students going in and say the 2nd or 3rd (or lower) ranked student blitzes the exam then by keeping their exam mark and the moderation process they could end up coming first.

Last year my 7th ranked student on assessment got the highest exam mark for my class. Because of the moderation process and her excellent exam result she ended up coming 3rd in the class even though she went in 7th.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)