Finding Nemo (1 Viewer)

Angela86

Do you think Finding Nemo is a good audiovisual imaginative journey??
I think the movie is an extended metaphore, and there are messages underneath it all.
Our teacher told us to stear away from childrens things, as they haven't got a lot of depth, but do you think Finding nemo does??

I am also going to use Fight club or the Sims CD Rom.
And for my two non audiovisual I am going to use the cover of Internationalists by powderfinger and I think I am going to do Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, the lyrics and the music.
Are these good ideas??

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i would follow what your teacher said.. children stuff only targets "kid"s you should really look at things that target our audience. it makes you look like you're trying too hard and the markers tend to think youre not looking hard enough and just had to get some random thing that really has no meaning in our context.

Sims? i dont know how that can relate to that..its a game. i mean it is a form of text, but .. i dont know how you can relate it to journeys..

Angela86

I was gonna relate it because it's an imaginary world, and as they go up the levels in work they can buy new things ect, just like in our world, and it also shows the dificulty of maintaining relationships while working hard to achive the highest level in your working life.
Kind of a hell of a lot of bullsh*t but yeah u get the picture.

Lainee

HSC
Then you can talk about restricting life's options to one cookie cutouts. ;) I think it's a great idea. I know one or two people who are doing Finding Nemo, though if you plan to use either of these to only pick one and find a more complex looking text to go with it. Goes for the two other texts you mentioned as well. Lyrics, as well as comics/cartoons, can be possibly viewed as less mature texts. I have nothing against doing them, but it's best to couple them with a more seemingly complicated text. There are some lists on this board of some possible texts.

EDIT - Note that this is my own opinion and opinions vary. :)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
i guess if you can prove that it is an imaginitive journey and link it clearly and stuff, then you should be fine. though you should listen to the teachers.. its usually best to say "yes this is an effective text for ..." when a HSC question asks you "is this text effective..."

Adi

Remember.. the average HSC marker is about 35 - 40 years old ( says my eng. teacher, a marker of 4 unit english). He also told me that you wont be taken very seriously if you choose Nemo, Ice Age or any movie of a simliar nature. A girl in my class mentioned she was going to do Nemo, but sir flipped it and gave us a lecture about choosing APPROPRIATE related material! LoL.. Be wise with your choices.. thats my only advice :p

AGB

HSC
well i saw it with two girls and they both cried at the end of it....so maybe it does have some depth :p

leiara

do you think Finding nemo does??
finding nemo is too childish to do, ur being assessed on how well u can identify with journeys, so you should really be trying to find material of more fibre and content, rather than a lil kids video, i know it sounds like an easy "related material. but i think in the end, u'll lose marks on the basic-ness of it. thats just what i think, and i'd have to agree with the comment made by Adi, there 35-40year old markers. and if there anything like the teachers i know who go to sydney every year to mark the exams, they will ripe into u like a mofo! try to cater for that age group. i think im on a winner with my related material so far, i've picked 'yulogu boys' i saw it about 4 times in year 10, and it came back into my mind, because firstly it is a journey, physically, mentally and spiritually. also it is based on aboriginies in the NT, bringing political issues, cultural differences etc into why they must go on there "journey" 2 darwin, DO THIS FILM, go rent it, buy it, what ever, this will get you marks! u'll thank me 1 day
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us

Last edited:

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
You could use Finding Nemo, but it is not classified as a sophisticated text. Plus you haven't exactly done independent research...you've just gone to the movies and watched the movie that was so talked about.

Yes, it's HOW you talk about it and not WHAT you talk about. But sophisticated texts are a must. Personally, I don't think it's a sophisticated text.

juventino

Juventus For Life
HSC
Ahhh, you people smoke to much...

Finding Nemo is a good text...

Why?

Because it's different from all the other boring texts others choose.

But just because it's a kids movie(which i loved ;)) doesn't make it an easy 'write about'.

But why Imaginative? Finding Nemo is a pure PHYSICAL journey and even possibly Emotional....but immaginative it is not.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Hm....If someone has done an essay using Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad (for example) and another student uses Finding Nemo, all the english markers I have spoken to say the person who did HOD will be favoured, because it is a sophisticated text.

But that's my opinion, and the HSC is a game, and I intend to find out all the tricks to win the game. Play fairly?? PFFT!

Angela86

Finding nemo imaginative cause it's an extended metaphor.
A father recovering from the loss of his sons mother, son goes missing, father steps into this world which he protected him self and his son from and he is taken to places he never thought possible, me creatures he only imagined existed.

I'm not going to use it how ever, I'm tryn to find something which matches me deffinition of an imaginative journey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)