First day on a software engineering job -- what to expect? (1 Viewer)

xetamine

HSC
I'm new to the workforce and have never had a job before. My first job is at a small, relaxed software engineering firm.

What should I expect? Any tips? I've got the dress code, lunch, and commute worked out... but what should I expect once I get there?

Last edited:

JavaScript

HSC
I am really interested in how it goes. I want to be a software engineer as well. What language are you expected to code in? Also which uni did you graduate fro.

xetamine

HSC
I am really interested in how it goes. I want to be a software engineer as well. What language are you expected to code in? Also which uni did you graduate fro.
I'll let you know! Very nervous though.

It's an app development / consulting firm. I'm coding in Swift and Objective C. I haven't gone to uni yet; I'm doing the HSC as we speak.

I'm hired after two interviews; not work experience. I have a few apps on the App Store including one that got featured by Apple, and they said they were impressed with my apps.

astroman

HSC
I'll let you know! Very nervous though.

It's an app development / consulting firm. I'm coding in Swift and Objective C. I haven't gone to uni yet; I'm doing the HSC as we speak.

I'm hired after two interviews; not work experience. I have a few apps on the App Store including one that got featured by Apple, and they said they were impressed with my apps.
whats apps are they?? :D

JavaScript

HSC
This shows that comp sci/tech industry is a great field. Keep it up man you must be great at making apps.

I really need to get into app dev but I hate apple. Lol

JavaScript

HSC
BTW how many jobs did you apply to? Also would you recommend just building a portfolio like you and applying for entry level jobs like you did?

keepLooking

HSC
This shows that comp sci/tech industry is a great field. Keep it up man you must be great at making apps.

I really need to get into app dev but I hate apple. Lol
There is always Android :)

BTW how many jobs did you apply to? Also would you recommend just building a portfolio like you and applying for entry level jobs like you did?
When you aren't qualified on paper, a portfolio is extremely important.

JavaScript

HSC
Yeah thinking of getting into Java in the holidays. Though android dev is outsourced more than ios due to it being much cheaper to develop using the jdk and android SDK.

Do you think front end dev is a good option ? I already have some experience in it and I plan to build my portfolio.

keepLooking

HSC
Do you think front end dev is a good option ? I already have some experience in it and I plan to build my portfolio.
I would build the portfolio according to the type of sector/company you are looking for. If you are interested in front-end dev/design, certainly build your portfolio that way.

JavaScript

HSC
I would build the portfolio according to the type of sector/company you are looking for. If you are interested in front-end dev/design, certainly build your portfolio that way.
Yeah thinking of starting on basic front end then moving to back end work. (Node or RoR)

xetamine

HSC
I applied to 4.

Yes, absolutely! You need a portfolio.

Last edited:

turntaker

HSC
I applied to 4.

Yes, absolutely! You need a portfolio.
can I ask where you searched for these jobs?
on seek.com and such?

Also did you just search for entry level/junior ios developer. or something along those lines?

astroman

HSC
OP what languages do u know and how long have u been learning them?

turntaker

HSC
OP what languages do u know and how long have u been learning them?
i am guessing objective c mainly. ios dev is only in objective c and swift which is a new language which makes things a bit easier.
That's all you really need for ios dev.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)