First in Course List (1 Viewer)

Plebeian

natstar said:
Congrats to public schools people getting 1st in 56 subjects, while private school only 51 1sts...............i think the debate is now settled
Although I am a real supporter of public education, you'd have to consider that public schools teach more than half the students.

roadcone

HSC
you also have to consider that of the public schools that are on the list they are pretty much all selective schools, which means they should be doing well considering they take like the best students.. on that note u also have to think about the possibility that therefore schools like james ruse are really under performing due to the kids that they have there

alien

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No ruse in that list....
What is "the open school" some sorta multi-cultural languages school?
the open high school is this school where they send you your work and you do it in "frees" at school where you get scheduled frees for that subject, just like a lesson but no teacher and you do the work by yourself in the library. they go in to the school every once in a while as well. alot of people use the open high school for languages because their school might not have enough people to run a class in that course.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
natstar said:
Congrats to public schools people getting 1st in 56 subjects, while private school only 51 1sts...............i think the debate is now settled
Yes, (assuming you went to public), you still can't do maths. That definately settles the debate. (Plus all the "smart kids" go to selective schools, so the very fact that private schools even get ANY first in the states prove that the public schools are doing REALLY badly)

Seabiscuit

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
sydney boys and sydney girls aren't on there. We have a gold medal olympaid winner - ivan guo for maths. He didn't top. I'm very surprised.
I would just like to say.. and this has not been officially proven yet - but i have it on good knowledge that I, [insert Seabiscuit's real name here] caught the same school bus as Ivan Guo!!
Yes, that's correct - same school bus!
I have been in the presence of smartness.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Seabiscuit said:
I would just like to say.. and this has not been officially proven yet - but i have it on good knowledge that I, [insert Seabiscuit's real name here] caught the same school bus as Ivan Guo!!
Yes, that's correct - same school bus!
I have been in the presence of smartness.
Pfft, I hang out with Ivan and Laurie all the time [fine, maybe once every 2 months, and I'll be seeing him on wednesday]. Plus I've met Andrew Ngai. Apparently.
(For the record, I've met both 3rds, 6th 7th and 9th in the state in 4 unit 2003, and regularly hang out with 4th [Julian Gibbons] in 3 unit 2003 (He's a great drunk))

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
He's a great drunk
Picturing in my mind Julian swinging a stick in the middle of a tennis court and trying to prove mathematical theories while drunk...

I could only imagine the speech Keypad's going to give Ivan and Laurie on Wednesday ("You suck..., no, you just suck")

And shouldn't you have met the person coming second last year as well?

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Yes, (assuming you went to public), you still can't do maths. That definately settles the debate. (Plus all the "smart kids" go to selective schools, so the very fact that private schools even get ANY first in the states prove that the public schools are doing REALLY badly)
Well, considering some of the private schools take up to 25% of their students as full or partial scholarships just to get high on the list, you'd think that private schools would get a fair few firsts.

Also, I think its overlooked that the people who are willing to pay for their child's education, probably are far more concerned about that education than many who send their children to the local public school without even checking it out. And then those students probably have school as a low priority from the start.

I'm not a big fan of the whole public vs. private separatism. I think that, anyone, regardless of what school they go to, can perform well given that they themself have the necessary motivation.

lala2

Banned
HSC
KeypadSDM said:
Pfft, I hang out with Ivan and Laurie all the time [fine, maybe once every 2 months, and I'll be seeing him on wednesday]. Plus I've met Andrew Ngai. Apparently.
(For the record, I've met both 3rds, 6th 7th and 9th in the state in 4 unit 2003, and regularly hang out with 4th [Julian Gibbons] in 3 unit 2003 (He's a great drunk))
Talk about connectons..how do you know all these people? Uni, primary school friends? well, I guess you had to know people in the top 10 for 4U Maths 2003--you did top it yourself....what about 2nd, 4th, 5th, 8th and 10th?

Plebeian

LaraB said:
I agree, although - you have to take into account that public school s cannot refuse people, (apart from selectives as you gotta sit selective test to get in), unlike privates which can pick and choose, so given that, you would expect private schools to do better than publics as public schools have to accept all the people who have no intentio nof studying for HSC or will not gain a UAI etc

so even though they teach the most students, they also teach the most i suppose.."bottom end" students...

(No offense intended to anyone by the way..)
That's exactly right, but unless it put extra demands on teaching time or whatever, the amount of less motivated students taught by a school shouldn't affect the number of high achievers it has ... it would have more affect on the overall average results.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
lmao private schools can't pick and choose people, they like public schools have to accept people in that have enough cash to pay... they can't expell in most cases they have to just ask students to leave (as private schools have a contractual obligation usually).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
lmao private schools can't pick and choose people, they like public schools have to accept people in that have enough cash to pay... they can't expell in most cases they have to just ask students to leave (as private schools have a contractual obligation usually).
Most private schools specify a certain number of spaces for students, and will only accept that many. Now if they have more than that specified amount applying they can pick the most academically/sporting gifted of those applying to be students at the school.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Well i've never heard of anyone not being accepted due to their grades, does this actually happen to many? which private schools do this?
Well I dunno about my school, but for schools such as Sydney Grammar, I don't think you're going to end up ranked in the top 10 if you allow any old Joe Blow who applies to enrol.

zhongie

HSC
I think to go to Grammar, you have to take some sort of test...correct me if I'm wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)