First Semester Results (1 Viewer)

maverick180

HSC
How did everyone here do in their first semester results?

No failures I hope, I was glad to pass all my courses, thats for sure.

Perhaps less drinking and cutting class next semester.

rumour

HSC
Failed quite a few subjects, but I'm not complaining :)

It could have been worse, at least I did manage to pass some!!!

Ziff

HSC
N/A
No failures, no passes. Huzzah!

Law: Foundations was as expected (CR) but Torts was a little worse than I wanted (CR, I wanted a D, oh well - there's always Contracts).

Arts: Politics was a D and German was a HD.

It's amazing that Arts involves so much less work than the Law does. I can cram the night before for Arts and still achieve a D+. On the otherhand, doing the same for Law yields only CRs. The lesson is that next semester I'm going to have to fuck around less.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Torts - D - 71
Foundations - C - 67 :(
Modern Chinese 1 - P - 50

Something very strange happened with Chinese, I'm SURE that I failed my final, so I think that I must have a friend on the inside (either that, or the markers were bothered by the U "mark-curve" caused by native speakers :p)

budj

HSC
Yaaah im still in my degree baby!!!!

Honours Maths: HD
Chem A16: HD
Into to Psyc: HD

dazzi_dani

HSC
i got
1 HD-96
2D's- both 74
and one very poor P in micro

so overall im kinda happy

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
i'm so pissed with mine... then again i spent most of first semester in the very same way.... so i shouldn't complain.
Torts - P
Foundies - P
Foundations of Eco and Finc Models - P
Micro - P

You think you need to fuck around less, Ziff? I'm the one with the chronic time-wasting problem.

Meh. There's always next semester (which is in two days).

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
So how'd you go in micro?

Best results I know of so far are three HDs and a D. Including a 98 in Stat1008 and a HD in micro. Admittedly its all stuff he'd already done back in Korea.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
I know a guy who got over 93 in three subjects ;)

cr in accg

HSC
neo_o said:
Torts - D - 71
Foundations - C - 67 :(
Modern Chinese 1 - P - 50

Something very strange happened with Chinese, I'm SURE that I failed my final, so I think that I must have a friend on the inside (either that, or the markers were bothered by the U "mark-curve" caused by native speakers :p)
ha ha 71 is not a D

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
*huggles ANU grading system* :)

Two HDs so far, 98 for PHYS3002 and 96 for MATH3322 -- still waiting for results on the others -- stupid lecturers who go overseas and stupid project reports. :angry: Looking good for straight HDs though.

I'm convinced marks tend to go up as you go through your degree, actually -- assuming, of course, that you stick with it. Lecturers seem to be more lenient overall in later years. :rolleyes:

alphatango

Resident Geek
HSC
N/A
A 95 average is tough, and depends on a lot of different factors. Lecturers, the amount of scaling (much less scaling in uni than in HS), etc. Given that you're looking at PhB, I'd say you won't have too much trouble hitting 90-100% on all the *assignments* for the first couple of years (assuming a decent amount of work).

Labs tend to be more difficult to get good marks on -- I'm not really an expert, since I skipped first-year physics, which is where you do a fair bit of lab work. I certainly found that it was difficult enough to hit the 8/10s on the second-year labs, and I haven't done any third-year labs yet (being the theoretician I am :p).

Exams can be volatile, but in general, doing a reasonable amount of study will get you a decent HD-band mark (decent being 90+). Some lecturers scale the exams, quite a few don't (for example, a lot of the physics lecturers tend to avoid scaling if they can help it).

All that aside, a 95 average is possible, and I encourage you to go for it. :) Your aims are something you should set for yourself -- hit the first semester of uni running and then adjust your targets once you get into the swing of things.

In terms of grasping the material, you should find the first-year stuff quite easy to cover, even though you may be learning new material -- the first year is all about bringing everyone to the same standard. Second year is where they really get into teaching you new stuff, and then there's a marked jump from second to third year. (For comparison purposes: first-year classes in maths and physics typically have ~300 students, second-year classes in physics have anywhere from 30 to 60ish, and third-year classes tend to vary quite a bit, but under 30. Some classes have been known to have three students or so. :p) Use the spare time to get ahead. :D

nit

HSC
i'm not sure about the way it works at ANU, but an average of 95 anywhere will be tough - some courses don't even allow for a mark of 95 due to scaling. An average of 95 is a tough assignment.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)