First time renting with no payslips. (1 Viewer)

ChelseaMiller

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi everyone.

I have some of questions about renting and finances and growing up in general so I'll do them in dot point form.

1. Can I secure a rental property without payslips? I tutor so it's cash in hand. How would I prove I can afford it? Would an employment letter suffice?
2. I get centrelink payments so if I show the landlord my bank statements, can that contribute to my income?
3. My income isn't taxed and I earn too little to be taxed, should I fill out the 'non-lodgement advice' form or is it too much effort?
4. When moving out, my partner and I will start looking for a place. Therefore, if I'm still studying and get Youth Allowance, does that mean only one of us can get Rent Assistance? This is what I understood.

Thanks

PS I'm not planning to move out until 2-3 years.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Bank statements are a good way to show you have cash, regular income, etc.

But that being said if you aren't earning enough to get income tax... from the landlord's perspective, how are you going to ensure they don't feel like they run the risk of you not being able to pay rent and/or not maintaining the place?

As a landlord myself I am quite picky when I screen tenants - there was a couple which sounded ok but I just didn't feel comfortable given they didn't have secure jobs (although they claimed they had $100k+ in cash) - so I simply said if they pay six months of the lease in advance, then fine. So you might need to offer something similar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)