First year math subjects (1 Viewer)

rayquazaa

HSC
Hi everyone! I'm new to this site. I am soon to start my first year at USYD studying the Bachelor of Science (Medical Science), and noticed that I must to do two math subjects in the first year. Does anyone know the math subjects I have to do/choose from, because I can't seem to find the unit names online? I'm really worried about the level of maths I'm going to be doing, because I only did General Maths in Year 11 and 12. So does anyone also have any suggestions as to what math course I should choose?

Thanks to everyone in advance!

sida1049

HSC
You need to do 12 credit points of junior mathematics. A junior maths unit is worth 3 credit points each. Since you've only done general maths, you must take the following during semester 1:
- MATH1111 Introduction to Calculus
- MATH1015 Biostatistics

In semester 2, you need to take 2 of the following:
- MATH1013 Mathematical Modelling
- MATH1014 Introduction to Linear Algebra
- MATH1115 Interrogating Data (if you enjoyed MATH1015 and/or want to do a bit more statistics over maths)

Good luck!

rayquazaa

HSC
You need to do 12 credit points of junior mathematics. A junior maths unit is worth 3 credit points each. Since you've only done general maths, you must take the following during semester 1:
- MATH1111 Introduction to Calculus
- MATH1015 Biostatistics

In semester 2, you need to take 2 of the following:
- MATH1013 Mathematical Modelling
- MATH1014 Introduction to Linear Algebra
- MATH1115 Interrogating Data (if you enjoyed MATH1015 and/or want to do a bit more statistics over maths)

Good luck!
I am in the middle of enrolling now, and have noticed that MATH1111 Introduction to Calculus is actually worth 6 credit points. What do I do in this instance? Also, am I meant to enrol in the math semester 2 subjects now, or later on before semester 2 starts? Sorry I probably sound like a noob lol

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
I am in the middle of enrolling now, and have noticed that MATH1111 Introduction to Calculus is actually worth 6 credit points. What do I do in this instance? Also, am I meant to enrol in the math semester 2 subjects now, or later on before semester 2 starts? Sorry I probably sound like a noob lol
Oh lol, if that's the case, then just take MATH1111 in semester 1, MATH1013 and MATH1014 in semester 2. That should meet your degree requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)