For all those who got 90+ ATARS.... (1 Viewer)

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
How much effort did you put in? (honestly). What is your tip for success? - tonnes of past papers, 4+ hours studying everyday, ....

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
How much effort did you put in? (honestly). What is your tip for success? - tonnes of past papers, 4+ hours studying everyday, ....
Umm, not a lot - actually. I kept up with my work and did a last minute study cram session before the HSC - well, in those four, five weeks preceding.

(i got 95.4)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol. I did barely anything.
I was on fb 24/7, including in classes.
I talked in most classes, and I didn't really pay attention.
But, I did do past papers for chem throughout the year. So, do that. :)
Also, do practice essays (unlike me).

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
^dont let my brother fool you

he studied 6 hours a day non stop. weekends were study camps holed up in his asian basement. public holidays were a glorious escape to a math haven called maths online

all at the same time he managed to produce a baby or two

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Well for me I head to put in alot of effort. I didn't study in prelims so I was behind in all my subjects (especially maths and economics) which meant the HSC was a huge wake up call. Beginning of the year I had to work a few hours (just doing school homework and college) and that was enough to get me good ranks already. Before half yearlies i wasn't doing much still much but pastpapers were very useful. Before your half yearlies you should be doing alot of them as schools tend to re-use past questions alot. For english and subjects like Ancient/eco/biz i read alot of books,newspapers, articles and texts to improve my writing skills which was good enough to give me a boost over my cohort, i also practiced an read my essays everyday.

Trials/hsc period i pulled 6+ hrs a day and did lots of study. Was worth it though. I suggest use your time wisley and efficiently. I don't think the amount of hours you do really gets you the high atar. Just requires a bit of organising , planning and efficiency. I only ended up with 91 but i guess it's still high for me :p

loaves

HSC
Do about 2 hours of school work a week all year.
Start studying 48 hours before each exam.
??????
Profit.

HSC
Uni Grad
Barely did much. 1 hour a day on average. Played 1 hour of piano a day in inclusion. Barely spent any time on English and legal studies, did relatively better for those subjects.

HSC
N/A
Barely did much. 1 hour a day on average. Played 1 hour of piano a day in inclusion. Barely spent any time on English and legal studies, did relatively better for those subjects.
Don't liieeeeeeeeeeeee

I know you studied heaps

Wentworth

HSC
I didn't pull a single all nighter but I managed a 99.40 atar (I know it's average by the standards of the top schools so maybe this isn't so surprising after all). Your teachers might've told you that you need all nighters for 99+ atars (I know one of my teachers did) but you really don't.

I'd say I studied 3-4 hrs a night, maybe 5 hrs a day on the weekend.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't pull a single all nighter but I managed a 99.40 atar (I know it's average by the standards of the top schools so maybe this isn't so surprising after all). Your teachers might've told you that you need all nighters for 99+ atars (I know one of my teachers did) but you really don't.

I'd say I studied 3-4 hrs a night, maybe 5 hrs a day on the weekend.
that's normal isn't it? i pulled many all nighters because i didnt study during the day , was procrastinating and then crammed like a muddafker. all nighters are generally for crammers lol not for people who study heaps

Wentworth

HSC
oh I meant all nighters as in get home in the late afternoon and study till dawn, guess I have a really extreme definition of it. To any 2012 HSC students, don't do this kind of all nighter you'll hurt your result at the end by losing too much sleep (you can't catch up sleep btw that's bs)

mirakon

nigga
HSC
2-3 hours a day of total study (including homework) is more than enough.

skyhawkmatthew

Your Captain
HSC
Past papers, past papers, past papers.

For everything except English, that's all I did: just do a past paper, make a list of things that you missed/didn't feel strong about, go practice/read up/ask your teacher about those things; repeat until the exam comes. Worked great.

Wentworth

HSC
2-3 hours a day of total study (including homework) is more than enough.
+1, I think people are scared that they have to do a lot of hours ( I know I was panicking midway through the year because I'd done half my hsc only loosely sticking to my timetable<--which I got rid of in the end)

Wentworth

HSC
Past papers, past papers, past papers.

For everything except English, that's all I did: just do a past paper, make a list of things that you missed/didn't feel strong about, go practice/read up/ask your teacher about those things; repeat until the exam comes. Worked great.
English is so BS.

Vidhya

HSC
With english, it's important to look at past questions of the texts you're studying because even if the details of the question vary, the ideas are more or less the same every year. So I did that, rewrote/edited my essays two nights before exam, got 95 and same with EE1, got 48/50.
With maths, practise is really, really, really important. I know because i didn't practise as much as i should have, hence lower marks.
Same with chem, keep practising past papers throughout the year, deeply understand the concepts and memorise all dot points.
I had two major works, and left both till the last minute. Bad idea. They brought my atar down considerably :(

mjambor

HSC
I did summary notes for phys, chem and eco then memorised them by putting them into past paper questions. For english I made model essays for each topic which I could put into anything and for math and ext I only did past papers. I ended up with 97.4 so I guess this isnt a bad approach...

annarh-saur

HSC
Uni Grad
Crammed a lot the night before, but done notes and heaps of maths pastpaper questions during the year. For english, basically studied the night before the HSC and went to school forgetting my essays at home because I was kind of freaking out on the day. But in the end I done roughly ~2 hours a day and for upcoming assessments and exams was ~8hours + because I wasn't really consistent throughout the year... Ended up with 98.05 :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)