Forces in One Dimension Question Help Yr 11 (1 Viewer)

flowerp

HSC
N/A
Hi,

I would like help with the following questions please:

1. (a) What is the mass of an object that is accelerated along a frictionless track by a force 50.0 N, if: the track is 2.30 m long and the mass started from rest, and motion was competed in 4.18s?

(b) Would this type of procedure be used to determine inertial mass or gravitational mass? Why?

2. Describe, as accurately as possible, the motion of a steel ball-bearing dropped into a deep container of motor oil. Explain the motion in terms of the forces acting on the ball-bearing.

Thank you very much !!!! :)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
You haven't done calculus yet have you?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
a)

b)
This is a controversial question I believe. Technically because this isn't an inertial frame of reference(as it is accelerating), the mass isn't an inertial mass. However the acceleration is about 0.3 which is quite negligible. So we can say yes it can be used to find the inertial mass..
c)
The steel ball will experience a net acceleration in the opposite direction of its motion, causing it to slow down.
The motion of the steel ball will be described by the equation

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Nice, that's definitely better than mine. For some reason no matter what the question, I never seem to remember to use it hahah

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)