Free Opal Trips abolished (1 Viewer)

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
wtf opal's already expensive af why isn't anyone protesting? WHY ARE WE AUSSIES SO APATHETIC :((

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
But it prevents people from abusing the system like having 'opal runs'
The cost of having more traffic congestion is > the cost of people abusing the system.

It costs the NSW government Billions as people are stuck on the road and are not productive.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
The cost of having more traffic congestion is > the cost of people abusing the system.

It costs the NSW government Billions as people are stuck on the road and are not productive.
Problem is you need enough reliable data rather than media opinion pieces to back up any assertion though it may sound logical and reasonable.

Disclaimer: I am not supporting this move either but this problem is more complex-people getting stuck on roads and not productive have more than one reason besides not taking public transport, it is polycentric problem and it has polycentric causes-(we can't all blame opal card changes solely on this)-i.e. it might be because they choose to work further away from homes because housing prices are so damn high theses days and at this rate it will be tomorrow morning and I will have already written a thesis which is not my desire nor do I have the time to do so. Before we take one side to any argument or debate, it may pay to consider the other side as well, governments don't always do things we like-because they have other responsibilities too, it is not as simple as keeping electors satisfied, it is to keep the majority of them satisfied whilst satisfying their own political agendas, budget constraints and resource limitations which are all very real issues that we often don't know about or ignore because we attack things at a piecemeal fashion.

D94

HSC
N/A

I have no doubt that people who catch public transport are people who need to catch public transport. Raising the cost of opal is hardly going to affect the number of people using public transport, since those people have no other options.

enoilgam

HSC
Absolutely furious, this will cost me over $500 extra per year. Is my service going to get better for the extra cost? Just a bait and switch to be honest.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
You guys do realise this was gonna be inevitable right?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I guess asking for good public transport is asking for too much.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
it's actually better to not use opal at all and pay the $200 fine every month lol
that's how much I travel

Green Yoda

Hi Φ
HSC
They could of just made that the "8" trip scheme only works if you go a certain amount of stops let's say 4-5 stops..this will stop the opal runs and it will be beneficial for long distance travellers. It would mean they the short distance wouldnt count but it wouldn't be that costly anyways. Removing the whole bloody scheme fks everyone up espically long distance travellers. They could of used some fkin logic..I mean I just thought of an better alternative while being half asleep...tf are they doing with their time..

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It was rather a generous incentive. Most systems don't have any kind of free travel reward.

I would have liked them to combine this change with an increased off-peak discount however. That's what IPART recommended.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Also there is now a $2 cash back for change of mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)