• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Free Will (1 Viewer)

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
If our brains are a mere collection on localized neurons, governed by the same physical laws that govern the rest of the universe, what freedom do we actually have? Are our thoughts determined; our actions inevitable?

lolokay

HSC
What does whether or not we have free will imply, exactly? I think the concept (like any other) is flawed in the first place.

Either way, understanding/being able to predict thoughts and behaviour to a fairly accurate degree would be pretty cool/useful.

HSC
I have no idea about neurochemistry.

From a sociological perspective though, I would say that we have the ability to exercise our will - but only within social contexts that enable certain decisions, while discouraging others; and only within a cultural context that promotes particular patterns of meaning and value while discouraging others.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
some people believe every action we take is deterministic, others such as my self think that freewill is possible with intelligent beings. I don't think anyone is certain of the truth.

ad infinitum

HSC
N/A
The point of that post, which you obviously don't get, is that you presented a half arsed attempt at some form of philosophy/metaphysics, without posting anything substantial, and believe it constitutes valid discussion. EXACTLY what they did in the matrix.
? I didn't even state my opinion on the matter....I merely raised a topic for discussion. The Matrix was an action movie, with an interesting premise. Your thoughts are very muddled and perhaps you could refrain from thinking them by keeping your mind preoccupied with a wall, or a pencil, or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)