French continuers - how'd you go (1 Viewer)

Skip

Harder than I expected (well much harder than last year's anyway).

Listening was OK I guess, except for the question about that computer hacker (?).

I'm going to wait until the results come out before I say anything else.

MarsBarz

HSC
It was definitely a lot harder than I expected.
There wasn't much pause time between playings of the listening questions so I had to come back to finish my sentences a couple of times. I'm pretty sure I'll get close to 100% for listening but that's because I'm a native speaker.

The reading question weren't interesting. Too many questions on language and appropriateness of title for my liking. However I think I did descent here.

Then question 12 - my downfall. I really REALLY wasn't expecting a commercial letter. I honestly thought that it would be some kind of personal letter, like it usually is and I was caught completely off guard. I hadn't practiced writting formal commercial letters at all because I wasn't expecting such a question. My answer was mediocre at best, I struggled to keep it formal and I really didn't have much to say. The structure was terrible. I did this question last and ran out of tim too :/. I only wrote 1.5 pages for a 15 mark question!!! :( Very disapointed about that one, I usually do well in these response type questions but I wasn't expecting this shit.

Question 13 - I chose B, the musical one. It wasn't overly well done but it was ok. I don't think I talked enough about the performance. I kind of centered my story around it too much, talking about how I won the ticket on the radio, didn't have high hopes initially, was forced by my sister to go and then found it a lot better than expected. 1.5 pages

Question 14 - I chose B, the transport question. Probably the better reponse of my writing tasks but I am not sure since I didn't get any time to check it over. It'll probably be riddled with spelling and grammatical mistakes. Basically I just wrote an anecdote.

Overall I'm pretty disapointed. I've never run out of time for a continuers exam before. But this one I fucked up pretty badly..

belleree98

It was difficult.

I was prepared for R+R part B! I had a feeling it would be a job application (although I think I adopted an informal register unintentionally)

Listening was okay...so he's a computer hacker hey! I get it now (it didn't actually ask us for that detail did it?)

I like those language/ technique questions but for the comprehension I can't see why that question about the heading was worth 5 marks?? That was strange

and I chose the msg to host mother and the transport one. I thought I was the only one who would do the transport one! Definitely the harder one of the two and I probably stuffed it.

Oh wellll.

Abbeygale

HSC
The listening buggered me up a little. But then it always does.

I did section two really poorly, but I finished the exam 20 minutes early and went back and rewrote that section- hopefully I managed to scrape up a few extra marks by doing that.

Question 13 and 14 were pretty good though. I did a) for both.

HSC
who was a computer hacker?!
i thought it was ok. my formal letter was not very formal though, and i think i ran out of things to say for question 14; i did part a. it was in general ok though!

veronique <3

HSC
Allo ~ Yeh i think it wasn't that bad. Actually the writing i found to be easier than expected, especially teh question about leaving a note for your host mother. I had to be as creative as possible, man thinking up so many ideas to just make the 150-200 words!! Listening=killer to the max =( reading and responding was OK, i actually was enjoying reading it, sucha nerd hahaa. all in all though an average exam. hope ya'll went fine too
:cool:

bennychanman

Stratttys (That's Strathfield, for all those who a
HSC
the listening was tricky....

THAT STUPID JULES VERNE QUESTION got me...but i got the computer hacker :)

The reading texts were nice and comprehendable - didnt need to much dictionary work - BUT THOSE QUESTIONS WERE CRAP!!! they were all those open ended long english exam style questions that i HATE!!! it was like doing that bloody AoS comprehension all over again in french !
ps - WHAT WAS WITH THAT '...' QUESTION?!

grrr that job application letter was ok - it didn't hafta be majorly formal did it? i mean ok you do some of the formalities but in the end, you were applying to be some ski -instructor/animator sorta dude...though i did start running out of things to say for that!

I did writing 13A and 14B. I felt like i was playing it safe, going with all the phrases i know, writing rather uninteresting texts...oh damn....
overall, i don't feel THAT great about that exam now!!!
GO STUDY FOR MODULES NOW!

orchid_violet

HSC
Listening was bad...actually TERRIBLE! Too much on language features in reading and responding. Liked Q, 12, 13 ....but not 14... ran out of time... I don't think I have written enough...I used the vous form in q12 to make it formal... but then again I was going on more about my qualifications and talents etc etc

HSC
i thought the reading one's were pretty easy except that 5 mark "appropiateness of title" question. But overall didn't have to use dictionary much. I so didn't expect anything like the job application question but i wasn't too bad. listening was way beta then the one i had for trials (in that u could actually hear the people talking properly). The only one i had trouble with was the computer hacker one - what motivated him to do what he did?? any answers plz cos i got really stuck on this one

Kao

HSC
The familiarisation text for listening was wonderful, so it gave me a great confidence boost, but then the actual questions started and MAN! That was crazy. The only thing I feel good about is the phone number. And that computer hacker question made me giggle, because his name was Condor. I kept thinking about Gladiators.

R&R part B was meh. I didn't know how to end the letter. I looked up "yours sincerely" but it was something really bizarre, so I just said "merci" or something.

Writing is my strongest point, and I did the letter to the host mother and the letter whinging about your parents. How did you guys start the letter to your host mother? I originally wrote "Chere maman" but I changed it to Madame something-or-other becuase it looked wrong. I was too long winded for that question which makes me very uneasy. The longer it is, the more chance there is to find basic grammatical errors. Sigh.

Ah well, I'll live ;)

HSC
hehe you coulda tried 'sincerement'
I actually thought it was all good. I like how they're making the course more like what an English exam should be, although they forgot the word ellipsis (...) in favour of 'suspended points'.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
it wasnt too bad

I always hate listening, especially the one that started "cher parents" yuk I missed most of it. Most of it was alright tho

Reading was ok, but some of the questions were weird...like expecting 5 marks for the question about the title!

Writing...I didnt mind R&R it was ok, i ended with that massive long way of saying urs faithfully and started with "to whom it may concern" is that wrong?

I did 13 a) the letter to ur homestay mum... I kinda wish I didnt cause it was hard to be creative...I ended up saying that I went to a friends house to do an assignment and then we were going out to the movies and for coffee

14 a) I kept complaining how my brother gets to do what he wants and how they make me do all the housework or something

It was alright overall, I found some parts a bit hard and my teacher did say some of it was a bit strange...meh I hope I did ok and i'm sure you guys all did great

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I said something about it be ironic...that they one thing the guy wanted them to listen to (being the advice) they werent and that he was expreswsing his exasperation or something

MarsBarz

HSC
missjelly_baby said:
i thought the reading one's were pretty easy except that 5 mark "appropiateness of title" question. But overall didn't have to use dictionary much. I so didn't expect anything like the job application question but i wasn't too bad. listening was way beta then the one i had for trials (in that u could actually hear the people talking properly). The only one i had trouble with was the computer hacker one - what motivated him to do what he did?? any answers plz cos i got really stuck on this one
The hacker was initially doing it for the fun of it, as a sort of game, but then it went on to become an intellectual challenge, a test of his intellectual abilities if you like. He was also motivated to damage organisations that breached human rights.

Well, something of that sort anyway. Ah I'm really mad I didn't try harder and rushed more for the writting questions. I can think of a million things which I could have said and a million spelling mistakes which I shouldn't have made :(.

Kao

HSC
yrtherenonames said:
hehe you coulda tried 'sincerement'
I actually thought it was all good. I like how they're making the course more like what an English exam should be, although they forgot the word ellipsis (...) in favour of 'suspended points'.
Haa, I was sitting there thinking "I could swear there was a different technical word for those..."

At least they didn't call it a dot-dot-dot ;)

HSC
thanks for that ... u shouldn't stress bout writing cos from the sounds of it u heard way more in the listening than i did. But i made up the answer and said it was something about proving how smart he was so thats kinda the same.

MarsBarz

HSC
melsc said:
I said something about it be ironic...that they one thing the guy wanted them to listen to (being the advice) they werent and that he was expreswsing his exasperation or something
Yeah I pretty much bullshited the whole ellipsis question. I think I talked about continuation, how this issue wasn't resolved yet and that the debate would go on or something. I had trouble translating that last line into english.

What about the question about the principal's tone/ his attitude towards technology? I thought that question was a bit hard. I talked about the negativity of his tone, used a few examples, explained how he blamed everything on technology. I think I repeated myself a bit. What could you say about his attitude?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I said his tone when he said "Non au contaire"
the rhetorical question "at what price"
refering to the Cd players, message boards (ie sounding like he knew wat he was talking abt)

I said more bullshit but i cant remember :(

Kao

HSC
MarsBarz said:
Yeah I pretty much bullshited the whole ellipsis question. I think I talked about continuation, how this issue wasn't resolved yet and that the debate would go on or something. I had trouble translating that last line into english.

What about the question about the principal's tone/ his attitude towards technology? I thought that question was a bit hard. I talked about the negativity of his tone, used a few examples, explained how he blamed everything on technology. I think I repeated myself a bit. What could you say about his attitude?
I was so tempted to write something about how it's foreshadowing doom since today's generation of teenagers are going to destroy the world with their internet-related language. But I didn't ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)