French extension (1 Viewer)

MarsBarz

HSC
How did you go? I really liked it. Good questions, I had plenty of time. The best hsc exam so far I rekon :)! I hope I get a band 6!!!

Lileane

HSC
Oh darn, I was getting all excited about being the first one to post...and you shattered my dream. Ah I am so grieved.

Aaaanyway.
Yeah, it was an interesting exam. Interesting how the last two questions in part 1 relating to the text for study weren't really "refer to this text...and the rest of the film," but more like "discuss the film in general.

carmichael

HSC
N/A
hmm i found it a bit more difficult this year than previous ones cause of the length of the questions... Part A are getting much longer i think... I did Marius et Jeannette i dunno what the other one looked like... Part B and II weren't too bad though.

The other kid in my class ran out of the exam hall crying then ruthlessly swung the door open with the door handle knocking a piece of concrete out of the wall lol..

Is it just me or is the hsc getting harder? The maths, french continuers listening, frenchx, eng2 (we got asked THREE POEMS!!!), etc etc... all harder than previous years...

HSC
Yeh but you see the news reports 'kids are doing better every year since the new HSC', so they've gotta make it harder...
I go to an all-guys school, and all 9 of us did the 2nd writing question...I assume not many girls did the first one either.

carmichael

HSC
N/A
lol that was a shit writing question on the young men are no longer interested in primary school teaching as well... Typical of the board of studies though

Rachael325

HSC
wow you have 9 people doing french extension? We have 5 and i thought that was alot. I also agree about everything getting harder. Hope thats not true of me PE exam tomorrow. Thats hard enough. Yeh i though the comprehension questions were sort of strange in that they didnt relate all that much to the text they put in there. Like no questions about film techniques and that. Suited me though.

MarsBarz

HSC
Yeah I did the letter. I didn't realise until I read the question again at the very end that you were meant to talk about young men, I thought it was just young people in general lol. I hope I will not get too penalised for that.

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
I thought it was a pretty easy test, the questions were nice and general, and not fucked up. I mean, last year they had that totally shit question about "the theme of food". This years 5 marker wasn't too bad. This is for M&J by the way.

The reading responding style question was a bit bizzar in that you had to be Marius who is usually speaks in monosyllables if at all. But still no biggy, my ending was mad.

Yeah, i did the 2nd writing question along with probably everyone else in that state, but i think i wrote to much. I dunno how, but i wrote 6 and 9 pages, and still had 25 minutes left at the end to check all my spelling and stuff. That said, i don't touch the dictionary till i have finished both writing tasks, but still...in my trials i only had about 10 - 15 minutes left.

Whatever, good exam i reckon.

kath-32

HSC
I did Section II, which not many schools seem to pick and the Part A questions were ok. The last 9 marks had nothing to do with the extract though, more about the film in general. Plus, no film techniques questions at all. Last two questions were 4 then 5 marks - seems like a lot on just two questions!!

Part B was a conversation...what was Section I? I had to really think to stay polite and formal enough for the characters they picked.

I also did the second essay question. Like anyone would pick the first!! The second was such a great (and easy) question. Really, I think you could have picked any marginalised group as a focus, but I looked at attitudes to the third world and then 'quartiers-HLM'. 6 pages, a bit long and probably full of grammar mistakes but such a satisfying question to write!

Hope everyone does really well!!

MarsBarz

HSC
6 and 9 pages? Are you kidding me? You only needed 200 and 300 words respectively.
300 words is less than 3 pages.

I'm guessing that you either have gigantic writing or you're hopelessly bad at maths.

carmichael

HSC
N/A
mm well i'm quite pissed off with myself for only having written two and a half pages for my section II... i spent way too long on those short answers... lol my marius one prob sucked too haha oh well... thank god it scales :D :D :D

MarsBarz

HSC
Don't worry about it. If you did over 3 pages you did way too much. In fact read the examiner's comments next to the past papers on BOS. They always say that you're wasting your time by writing over the given limit.

belleree98

MarsBarz said:
Don't worry about it. If you did over 3 pages you did way too much. In fact read the examiner's comments next to the past papers on BOS. They always say that you're wasting your time by writing over the given limit.
Not necessarily. Do you write on every second line? Because I do. I have small handwriting and I wrote 6 pages. The reason being that the topic was so broad it would be impossible to do it justice with 300 words. To write "breadth and depth" without giving details, examples and a variety of points in a couple of pages? anyway our teacher always says to write a bit over the limit. All the past responses have been over the limit too. In a 40 min english essay you can write how many pages? 40 mins is a lot of time and I had about 50 to do this essay.

carmichael

HSC
N/A
ok quite clearly he was trying to comfort me and u ruined it :p

But yes you've gotta remember that if everyone else adhered to the question's requirements, knowing they *could* have written more yet didn't, why should you have been rewarded for actually having written more. They dun care if ur like 30 words over but it's not fair on everyone else. Yes they're big topics and they could be ranted on and on for hours but they get the picture that you're smart enough to do so in 300 words.

Also the difference between this and english is that it shows you actually know more about the text than someone else, rather than mere opinion.

MarsBarz

HSC
Quality over quantity :). I didn't study for French extension at all anyway. With maths extension tomorrow (today lol), I haven't had the time to study for it. My teacher wasn't too good this year either and we haven't even had that many lessons. But in the end I think I did alright.

goldy

c'est ridicule

I agree on 6-9 pages... rather lunatic behaviour if i do say so! Unless your french and grammar is one hundred percent perfect, and your speech was so invigorating that your marker wanted to read on.. and on... and on... i think your just jeopardizing your chances! Anyway, i couldnt believe the first question on Section II, was trying to work out which theme it belonged to - Coping with change? myself and the other three girls in my ext french class all did question b... along with the rest of the state! so i dont really have anything that exciting to say, except = Au revoir L'estaque!

MarsBarz

HSC
^ I think you and I might be the only ones in the state who attempted that question about teachers.
Haha, I talked heaps of bullshit about how teachers can have hard times, how they don't get paid enough etc... Anything to make whoever is marking my exam feel better, even though I generally judge their profession very harshly.

belleree98

MarsBarz said:
Quality over quantity :). I didn't study for French extension at all anyway. With maths extension tomorrow (today lol), I haven't had the time to study for it. My teacher wasn't too good this year either and we haven't even had that many lessons. But in the end I think I did alright.
Okay fair enough. I'm just saying if you did write over the limit, why is that such a bad thing? It's not an advantage, however for those people who actually did study, there are so many things you could say for that question (b). If you chose the first one then obviously your answer will be more concise and to the point because the topic is fairly specific. That's just the nature of the question.

And I'm someone who always goes on about quality over quantity - esp in the english essays where people treat it like it's a race to see how many booklets they can fill up (italian and french are the only subjects which have required string for me so far)

belleree98

gravity said:
ok quite clearly he was trying to comfort me and u ruined it :p

Also the difference between this and english is that it shows you actually know more about the text than someone else, rather than mere opinion.
Sorry!

Yes but these essays aren't just opinion - you have to use examples to prove what you're saying! You have to tie it in with the themes and the whole writing in french thing aint easy. Plus my friends have seen the questions and claim that they wouldn't be able to write an essay in english on some of these. Heck even these french exchange girls couldn't write good essays on the topics (it's like us having to write an essay on equality of the sexes - sure you can do it but you'd have to think about it for a bit and you'd need to have evidence to back up what you're saying etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)