GAMSAT research (1 Viewer)

kcchippy

HSC
+Po1ntDeXt3r+ said:
http://www.mja.com.au/public/issues/186_03_050207/gro10631_fm.html

heres an interesting study about the GAMSAT.

In a limited sample (Usyd and UQ), results indicate its a negative predictor of clinical reasoning :eek: but correlates with bio-science results.. its an interesting read for those interested in medical training.

definately not definative

hehe coolies, thanks for the read, pd :)

Season

HSC
You know I would much prefer to do grad medicine just to see what its like to have a more relaxed uni existance before diving into a more stressful heavy workload but honestly the GAMSAT freaks me out. Plus I sort of prefer the design of the 4 year courses then the undergraduate degree.

Why do they make these hurdles? I wish it was something else to get through then this exam. It makes the UMAT look like a casual stroll in the park.

aussiechica7

HSC
totally

remember uws and uncle undergrad are only 5 years long (compared to 4-4.5 yrs for grad courses)... u could always do a quickie undergrad degree in something unimportant :p and then go to uws or uncle for a med degree WITHOUT having to do the gamsat.

but then u can do uncle and uws med straight out of h.s. so i personally don't really see the need 2 incur yrs worth of hecs debt b4 hand just 2 get the "uni student" experience

kcchippy

HSC
Season said:
You know I would much prefer to do grad medicine just to see what its like to have a more relaxed uni existance before diving into a more stressful heavy workload but honestly the GAMSAT freaks me out. Plus I sort of prefer the design of the 4 year courses then the undergraduate degree.

Why do they make these hurdles? I wish it was something else to get through then this exam. It makes the UMAT look like a casual stroll in the park.
Haha I felt exactly the same way coming out of year 12, so I was like hmm I don't think I want to do undergrad med straight out of high school. I really wanted to do graduate med, dream would be USYD (hehe I can't help being biased in loving the place) but yeah any grad course. I should've just taken a GAP year then jumped in, still get the life experience without the accumulating HECS debt.

kido_1

pRoFFeSSoR
HSC
Interesting Statistics. There is actually no powerful correlation between the how you perform in GAMSAT and how well you do in med school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)