GAP or taking a year off, who's doing it, what are they doing. (1 Viewer)

boz

CEO
HSC
Just wondering if anyone is doing a similar thing to me. Share where your going, how your travelling, who with, and for how long.

Im taking next year off, leaving on the 9th of Jan to work, first up, in the ski fields of Canada for 4 months, teaching snow boarding to kidies. Then im off to europe to bum around with relos, that hardly know i exist, maybe work a bit, down through spain, going to the Tomatina festival and running with the bulls in Pamplona. ive also got a good friend in Germany whos taking me the the Love Festival, hehe who knows. So stay in Europe for 4 months or so then back through Vietnam, Thailand and Indonesia to finially arrive back in Aus. All up about 9 months. Can't wait, shitting myself in anticipation. But i have only like 8 grand so im realy going to be backpacking.

Anyone else doing simialr things?

boz

CEO
HSC
i have no money though, im going to be on a steady diet of rancid cheese and plasterboard. Ah well, to quote AOS "its not the conclusion, its the journey that counts". Journey on.

Sasky

HSC
Hey boz - heaps of good luck - it sounds awesome, Europe would be wicked!

Wish I had the guts (and the money) to do something like that - ;)

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
lol! integration of text into everyday life!
i'm so jealous, europe sounds so good! i wanted to teach snowboarding, but then i realised i needed to know HOW to snowboard first if i wanted to teach it.
but have fun, and you'll get used to the taste of rancid cheese and plasterboard :)

boyzluver

wow boz that sounds great....I am going to Netherlands on the 24th of Jan to be an Au-pair:looking after 3 little kids.....I don't have much money either but thank god they are paying for 2/3rd's of my airfare!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
A girl I met at uni last semester, Tahneé, travelled after her HSC, for about 6 months, pretty much back-packing, and cost her about 20 grand...ouch, hey.

elisabeth

HSC
boyzluver said:
wow boz that sounds great....I am going to Netherlands on the 24th of Jan to be an Au-pair:looking after 3 little kids.....I don't have much money either but thank god they are paying for 2/3rd's of my airfare!!
That's pretty much what I want to do in 2006 (I'm class of '05). How did you find your spot? Was it through a website or do you know someone there?

:) Hope you both have a fab time overseas.

waterfowl

HSC
Wow boz that sounds awesome!

I'd love to travel, but I don't have the money and wouldn't survive on a tight budget.
After I have a large nest egg, and have some investments working for me (hopefully before I'm 22) I plan to "see the world" or at least parts of it.
I really want to work in Austria (I LOVE Austria!) but there is all this red tape and legal stuff and it's hard to do...not impossible but hard.
I really would want to learn the languages of the countries before I go there though - I plan to be a multi-linguist (German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian etc - so far I only know German :p)

Sabbo

HSC
I'm gonna be backpacking through Europe for 3 months next year with 2 friends from school (gotta earn all the money first). Probably around Malta, Italy, Austria, France, Belgium,...until we run of money :). Should be great

It's good to have relatives/friends in other countries. One of my friends has relos in Malta and I have all my relatives in Austria

Hmm Vietnam sounds interesting. All the best!

BTW Waterfowl; love your signature and avatar :D

Last edited:

waterfowl

HSC
Sabbo said:
I'm gonna be backpacking through Europe for 3 months next year with 2 friends from school (gotta earn all the money first). Probably around Malta, Italy, Austria, France, Belgium,...until we run of money :). Should be great

It's good to have relatives/friends in other countries. One of my friends has relos in Malta and I have all my relatives in Austria

Hmm Vietnam sounds interesting. All the best!

BTW Waterfowl; love your signature and avatar :D
LOL...thank you, but unfortunately I do not have family in glorious Austria like you :(
I cannot wait to go back there and live! But the red tape is SOOOO annoying!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Vietnam is awesome... and really cheap! It sounds great I am sure you will all have an awesome time!

Jamiebradnam

HSC
I'm going on a GAP year. Can't wait to go. I got a job as a sports teacher in yorkshire, england. It's like my dream come true. Small town but 9 pubs and a rugby team and cricket team. The school i'm teaching at is co-ed. Damn teacher-student relationship laws... well it doesn't hurt if u dont get caught.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
I am 5 weeks away from the end of my GAP year.

I have been working at Sherborne school for girls, in dorset, england since january. It has been amazing. The girls i work with are awesome....there is a german princess, an austrian countess, and the presidents of malawi's 3 daughters at my school...we also have an exiled russian prince at our boys school so it is sort of different to home!

So yeah, we do lots of sport with them, go to classes to help out and stuff, and make sure they are all in house at night. easy work!

I have done a whole lot of drama, i am in the school play which has been so much fun, and i have so many amazing friendships through that.

Will be so amazing to go home, and i can't wait but it will be sad to leave everyone...

Have travelled a whole lot too...been to spain a few times, germany a few times, france, italy, switzerland, sardinia, corsica, iceland and austria

so yeaH....GAP years are good fun

waterfowl

HSC
Courtenay said:
I am 5 weeks away from the end of my GAP year.

I have been working at Sherborne school for girls, in dorset, england since january. It has been amazing. The girls i work with are awesome....there is a german princess, an austrian countess, and the presidents of malawi's 3 daughters at my school...we also have an exiled russian prince at our boys school so it is sort of different to home!

Have travelled a whole lot too...been to...austria

Oh my gosh that is so cool! I love royalty...unfortunately I don't know any royals...although my German teacher is an Austrian Baroness by right.
That is so cool that you know a German princess and an Austrian countess (esp the Austrian!)
And an exiled Russian prince...so cool!
I probably sound like the biggest nerd right now :p

Yay Austria rocks! How did you like it?
I think it is obvious I LOVE Austria! ((For those that may not see the obvious....my avatar is the Austrian flag and my quote in the signature is from an Austrian Emperor that translates to "All Nations are Subject/Subordinate to Austria"))

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Austria was amazing. Its is one of the most beautiful countries i went to. All pretty and green and stuff...very sound of music. Stayed in Vienna, awesome city

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Bastard Boz :p

I reckon you're gonna come back looking malnourished because you've lived off 55c noodles for the past year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)