Gap Year Work? (1 Viewer)

kloudsurfer

HSC
Hey,

Im in yr 12 and am planning to go to uni. Long story short, ive decided to take a gap year and work to qualify for youth allowance and get enough money to support myself. So yeah, I have to make $18 000 (i think thats the figure) in my year off. Which means I have to get a relatively full time job.

I have worked at Big W for 3 yrs and am planning to continue there over the holidays, but they wont give me enough hours in the long term. Most jobs that will seem to require qualfications and experience. I dont have any qualifications except the HSC, and i am expecting quite a high UAI but that isnt very helpful in finding a job!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of job/s i can get and how to get them? Im not fussy about what the job is, as long as its relatively full time ie 30+ hours a week. Ill do anything! Also, are there any courses/ qualifications that you reccomend i should take in order to get a job?

Thanks in advance

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
6 hours a day at $15 an hour, 5 days a week gives 40 weeks before you've made 18000. You can get that at somewhere like Maccas, so I don't see your problem. And remember it's over 1.5 years, so the last half of this year can make up a bit if you need it to.

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
for higher paying jobs your best bet is places which are more profession-based. whilst you dont have qualifications, things like secretary jobs seem pretty easy to come by and they pay alright.

Keep an eye out in your local paper for these kinds of jobs as well as anything at councils. seek.com.au is worth a look too for jobs that come up.

I also hear that call centres pay above average so keep an eye out. I only really know of them advertising through the newspaper when there are vacancies though.

SmokedSalmon

HSC
I strongly suggest going for a customer service rep or something similar with Optus. They pay big bucks (~$40,000 in some roles). They are advertising on www.mycareer.com.au. Check them out, and it is full time... but I think u better apply asap as they are looking to recruit people from november. Good luck!

They mostly want people who have strong customer service skills, which you do as you put up with Big W customers for 3 years straight! And tertiary education is not of real importance it appears on their advertisements.

kloudsurfer

HSC
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will look into them.

The problem I keep finding with secretary/receptionist kind of jobs is that they need experience or some sort of qualifications. Some of them dont though, so ill give them a shot.

Slidey said:
6 hours a day at $15 an hour, 5 days a week gives 40 weeks before you've made 18000. You can get that at somewhere like Maccas, so I don't see your problem. And remember it's over 1.5 years, so the last half of this year can make up a bit if you need it to.
Where can i get $15 an hour? Im 17, only gettin bout $11 an hour! I think i get 13 when i turn 18.
Anyway, I didnt think maccas and those sort of places would put people on for a whole week. Generally they seem to just give people a few shifts a week, and they go for the 14 yr olds because they are a lot cheaper.

Oh, and i take back my previous statment. I will do anything other than fast food. Im not being picky, I have a good reason.

Peartie

HSC
Slidey said:
And remember it's over 1.5 years, so the last half of this year can make up a bit if you need it to.

Its 18months SINCE THE LAST EXAM....so from whenever your last exam was add 18 months before you can apply....

I know places like woolies are always wanting to hire people to work part time but do up to 38 hours a week....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)