gap year? (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Is anyont taking a gap year? The idea of it fascinates me. I really didn't get to know about it until few months back...

To those who are thinking of taking a gap year: what would you do during that time? Would you get a job? Or would you just take a break or go for a long holiday?

BTW: I am sorry if there is another thread in regards to this...I did some searches but I don't know where the topic relating to gap year goes...so I just thought I would post it up here. Please direct me to the right thread/forum if I made a mistake.

friction

HSC
Im having one and getting a job. Then travel at the end of the year.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i was thinking of doing one for quite a while, but i talked to people who basically suggested that if you know what you want to do, it might be better to just go to uni and get it over with.

HSC
Yeah I might defer uni or whatever for a year, then work really fucking hard for 6 months or so to get some cash, then travel a bit.

This is going by the logic that if I just go to uni and get it over with, I'll probably be old by the time I travel, and old people are boring/terrifying.

cookie.banana

Banned
HSC
genericusername said:
Yeah I might defer uni or whatever for a year, then work really fucking hard for 6 months or so to get some cash, then travel a bit.

This is going by the logic that if I just go to uni and get it over with, I'll probably be old by the time I travel, and old people are boring/terrifying.
complete agreeance

i like how you think

Kujah

HSC
N/A
My friend's deferring uni for a year. Working hard and a theology program and then uni in '10.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
One problem with a gap year, particularly if you're travelling and taking a very long break, is that it's basically turning your brain off for a year. Once that year is over, it becomes quite difficult to restart it, come uni time. You have to find some way to continually motivate your brain, perhaps with a full-time job throughout the entire year, which is probably the wisest thing to do in a gap year.

For example, if your degree requires a great deal of mathematical skill, you would want to hold on to the maths skills you currently have in the HSC and extend it further, if you leave those skills untouched for a whole year, come uni time, you'll basically forget most of it and have to start at square one again...it's basically a use it or lose it principle, if you know what I mean...lol

Also, you wouldn't want to be left behind when everyone around your age has finished their degrees and got jobs whilst you're an oldie still stuck in uni...haha might as well get uni out of the way first.

That's just my opinion...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
One problem with a gap year, particularly if you're travelling and taking a very long break, is that it's basically turning your brain off for a year. Once that year is over, it becomes quite difficult to restart it, come uni time. You have to find some way to continually motivate your brain, perhaps with a full-time job throughout the entire year, which is probably the wisest thing to do in a gap year.

For example, if your degree requires a great deal of mathematical skill, you would want to hold on to the maths skills you currently have in the HSC and extend it further, if you leave those skills untouched for a whole year, come uni time, you'll basically forget most of it and have to start at square one again...it's basically a use it or lose it principle, if you know what I mean...lol

Also, you wouldn't want to be left behind when everyone around your age has finished their degrees and got jobs whilst you're an oldie still stuck in uni...haha might as well get uni out of the way first.

That's just my opinion...
You are absolutely right. I didn't give much thought into that part.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
im not allowed to have a gap year, i have to go to ni, silly parents

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
If I don't get a particularly good UAI, then yes I will probably take a gap year, then figure out what to do after that..
I already work at Woolies part time and have been offered a 2IC position/dept management within 6 months as I'm already trained as 2IC in my department, so... I'd do that.

gcchick

Come at me bro
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep, taking a gap year and working my ass off for a year so I can save money, move to Brisbane and go to UQ in 2010.

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
i'm going to uni straight away; don't see the point of a gap year when we've had, effectively, 5 months of holidays anyway.

oi.olivia

HSC
i have to go on a gap year. my plan was to go straight to uni but as my parents are overseas and residential colleges would prefer that i be 18 im going to england. as im planning on doing law i think the experience will do me good as i am a bit of a workaholic and will probs run myself down if i go straight into uni.

i think gap years are an individual thing, not suited to everyone.

proringz

HSC
Nope, not me. I've heard from some people that once they took a gap year, they felt unmotivated for uni and ended up staying at the job working full time. I'll take a long break and go travelling after uni.

M@ster P

HSC
why take a gap year, at uni you have a lot of holidays anyway, don't you only attend to uni 24 weeks now , that means 28 weeks of holidays of free time which you can travel etc......

Katieeee

HSC
I am taking a gap year, working for the first six months, then travelling to USA to work in a summer camp, then travelling around USA and Europe until the end of the year. I may end up going to uni for the first semester then deferring the second semester but I just have to wait to find out my exact departure date to see how it fits with exam dates.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
M@ster P said:
why take a gap year, at uni you have a lot of holidays anyway, don't you only attend to uni 24 weeks now , that means 28 weeks of holidays of free time which you can travel etc......
i think it varies depending on uni and course, but i do agree about the first part. theres like a good 4 or 5 months of holidays before it.

if i did a gap i would want to travel, but because i have to pay for my own schoolies AND car, i am just not gonna have the money haha. and it would be nice to get uni out of the way.

i have a mate who did a gap year and then in the last years of his degree regretted it so much cos all his friends were done and he wasnt. but he didnt travel i spose, and travelling is awesome, so i guess it just depends on what your priorities are.

kasakiki

HSC
Uni Grad
Im taking a gap year for a bunch of different reasons, foremost amongst them being cash, i have 2 part time jobs at the current time, and next year have a full time job lined up in a related field to what i want to study at uni. As to the losing motivation part, im hoping to just defer my course, so im in- and its sitting there at the end of my gap year, waiting for me :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)