GAP year? (1 Viewer)

Jezzabelle

Hey! Is anyone considering taking next year off to travel? In particular, to go on a working holiday??

I've been interested in this idea since yr10 and have recently picked up a great book on the subject.

I could work as a journalist in Hong Kong, an Au Pair in the states, do volunteer/conservation work in Latin America....

:)

anyone else dreaming about this too?

Last edited by a moderator:

It

HSC
i would love to so something like that, but, i seriously lack money and i assume itd cost a bit to do. i dont know how much it would cost exactly but i reckon itd be more that the 5 bucks i have in my wallet atm... :(

elisabeth

HSC
Yes! I've asked my friends about it here, but when I say 'gap year', they get blank looks. I have to explain what it is...

I'm more interested in a working holiday, because I'd like the chance to settle down somewhere, get a good understanding of that country's culture, meet people and learn the language. But because I'm especially interested in settling somewhere on the continent in Europe, there'll be a lot of opportunity for travelling with the money I've made in between.

I'm kind of leaning towards an au pair position first, then when I have a better grasp of the language, I can do some other types of work. I know there are lots of different jobs in the UK, but I lived there for a long time and I want to try somewhere new.

JimBob

HSC
N/A
Not so much a gap year, but I'm definitely travelling next year, in particular, backpacking through Europe. One of the sweet things for me is that I am getting a British passport (Mummy's a pom!) so I can work throughout the EU without needing some fancy bisa or anything. :D

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I thought about it... It would be great but then I wouldnt be motivated to go back to college or whatever later on and the UAI might change etc.. so Ill just stick it out for 4 years then travel :(. But seriously I'd hate to travl al lthat time then go back to study... just get study out of the way, get qualified then go on a workign holiday for a year.

elisabeth

HSC
JimBob said:
Not so much a gap year, but I'm definitely travelling next year, in particular, backpacking through Europe. One of the sweet things for me is that I am getting a British passport (Mummy's a pom!) so I can work throughout the EU without needing some fancy bisa or anything. :D
It's good, aye? Especially since so many countries have joined the EU. I'm just pissed that Turkey isn't... it's one of the places I want to go, would make it a lot easier.

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
flipsyde said:
I thought about it... It would be great but then I wouldnt be motivated to go back to college or whatever later on and the UAI might change etc.. so Ill just stick it out for 4 years then travel
having taken a year off and knowing others that have as well - all i can say is that it has given me more motivation to go back to uni and study and from people i know that have taken a year off then studied, they have often done much better than those who just went straight to uni...

also if you are only going away for a year you can just defer your course and not have to worry about what uai it is the next year (because you have already been accepted to the uni)

there are a lot of benefits of taking the year off, but in the end its just up to your personal choice... just thought i might give u some advice from someone thats been there and done it!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
There was no way, financially, emotionally, or other, that I could have had a yr off between school and uni.
I plan on getting my degree, hopefully working on the mid-north coast for 6 months or so (my brother has recently moved up there, and they've told me that any time I want to move up indefintely, I can) and then going to Ireland on a working holiday probably for a year and travelling around the UK and Europe whilst I'm there.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
i wanted to do a gap year but i don't have the money and i really wanna go to uni next year..but i also love travelling and want to keep travelling..while i'm at uni i'm also going to be learning spanish so i'm thinking after my course i'll go to spain to one of those international schools and improve my spanish and travel..

elisabeth

HSC
em_516 said:
while i'm at uni i'm also going to be learning spanish so i'm thinking after my course i'll go to spain to one of those international schools and improve my spanish and travel..
depending on the uni/courses you do, a trip abroad may be part of your course. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)