General Thoughts: English Adv. Paper 2 (Modules) (1 Viewer)

celery

HSC
I was so suprised all three were essays! during reading time i thought i had misread something because it couldnt have been all essays....but oh well, i thought it was a pretty good paper. i think the reason why they made it all essays was because each question was very specific. VERY specific. but all in all it was good and its OVERR! :)

*yooneek*

@UTS...I <3 Jesus
HSC
well i didnt get to finish any of my sections...but i wrote heaps... i just didnt wrap it up. this paper went so much more sweetly than paper 1 did. i can not emphasise that enough!!!
all in all... i am sooooooooooo glad it is over. a load has been lifted thats for sure :D
i am now going up stairs to put all my english folders, notes and related into a box to collect dust for 10 years... CELEBRATIONS MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
Shit.

I didn't fully finish Lear, and I barely even started Frontline.

Probably get me around 25/60.

Shit.

seb1006

HSC
N/A
i dunno if any was unlucky enoguh to be stuck wid cloudstreet ? that question was farked.. i spent so much time ont hat tryin 2 bullshit i didnt completely finish frontline

Uyeniie

HSC
essays only...

:) i'm so glad there were only three essays. i was getting paranoid thinking i read the questions wrong because last year they had three essays and my friend said it was unlikely that would happen this year. i didnt practise any speeches or feature articles either.

overall i dont think it was too hard, could've done better, but what can you do now.

All my english notes are in one big plastic bag, its really heavy too.

s2indie

HSC
Grrr... the questions were so specific.
Module A: Hamlet/RAGAD - it took me a while to even figure out what the "nature of the moral order" even was. Wrote about 1000 words.
Module B: Wuthering FREAKIN Heights - it can go die. TWO episodes... and Heathcliff can go and die too!
Module C: Frontline - I'm happy with.
Overall, it was okay. I'd be happy if I passed, since I blanked out and my pen ran out of ink, which made me waste more time getting another pen out of the plastic sleeve pencil case.

ashh

HSC
s2indie said:
Grrr... the questions were so specific.
Module A: Hamlet/RAGAD - it took me a while to even figure out what the "nature of the moral order" even was. Wrote about 1000 words.
Module B: Wuthering FREAKIN Heights - it can go die. TWO episodes... and Heathcliff can go and die too!
Module C: Frontline - I'm happy with.
Overall, it was okay. I'd be happy if I passed, since I blanked out and my pen ran out of ink, which made me waste more time getting another pen out of the plastic sleeve pencil case.
mate i totally agree, hamlet, ros n guil n wuthering heights can go DIE!! i hate them. frontline, not bad. started with that 1 coz i found it easiest. ham/ragad i did 2nd but bullshitted, n same 4 wuthering heights. they expect us 2 rememba 2 episodes??? all i did was quotes from heaps of parts of the book. once again, bullshitted...thank heaven 4 frontline.
at least english is over though. worst exams they always suck...

RingerINC

BBoy OG Loc Gangsta
HSC
I think overall both papers this year have been put together well.

They were relatively stock questions with minor twists that forced people taking the exam to rething thier prewritten essays. I'm glad that the new buzzwords present in each of the questions threw some of the students who were less able to adapt their essay.

I think everyone's marks should represent their effort, those unable to adapt would have gotten owned.

TimtheEnchanter

HSC
I don't see why we're sposed to analyse texts from the feminist, marxist etc perspective (not that it matters now). This has been an issue of debate in politics since someone accused the cirriculum of being Left-wing. If this doesn't make people realise that when you talk to someone you don't weed out every little piece of verbal meaning imaginable along with their posture and the rest of the misen'scene then nothing will.
I always suspected the English course was a crock, just a way to make the gov't look like it's upping the average IQ of the common man (or woman) or making typical conversations more interesting, but I have yet to discover a profession besides professional critic that requires the level of mutilation of texts that we have just learnt.

It's not just me who thinks that studying texts in all these ways that authors never intended destroyed the experience of reading/viewing the text, is it?

When I told my Enlgish teacher that I didn't have to finish the HCS to get where I wanted to go, she simply asked me: "then why are you here?". This is when it finally clicked that not only is the point of school void of learning for the sake of learning, but it's new point is to present students as a marketable product of the business that are schools. What happened to mankind's thirst for knowledge?

At my school we are always compared to a famous student in the length of our responses, and this English-loving girl could write a lined A4 page in 2 minutes, and it takes most of us 10. She got the highest UAI my school's history, a 99.8, and has been the benchmark to which our teachers compare us ever since.

I ask you, is this helpful? She was obviously one in a million, but is tragically only remembered because she was good at schoolwork.

For those of you doing Modern History and Weimar Germany, this stuff is gold! It tells us how things ended up the way they did, why they did, who stuffed up where and also gives a good idea of how Iraq will wrap up. Facts, people! Board-approved facts!

I know I won't be the only one feeling a bit put out if i never have to use my hard-learnt English skills again after all this hoo-ha.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Zoe 2508 said:
i am so jealous of everyone who found the paper easy!!

I HATED THE PAPER!!!

Telling the truth:
Wrote 20 papers. Complete and utter shit. my prepared essay focused on the medias callous disregard for the truth as did my related material. "HUMAN EXPERIENCES?" what the hell!!

BNW/BRDC:
Hated this question. Hated the fact that it did not ask us either a context question or a relationship with nature question. Wrote 18 pages. Hate, hate, hate.

King Lear (can die now):
Hated this question. wrote 9 pages. Allowed 18 minutes for this section as i was trying not to deal with it hoping that it would just disappear, but it didn't. It was there to haunt me as the clocking was ticking away, and the end was nearing. The essay bit me in the bum and i hardly think i'l get a 10/20 for this essay. My 4-yr old nephew could have written somethign better without even reading the play.

Was sort of hoping that paper two would make up for my failings in paper one, although unfortunately i fear that this will not be the case.

English can go shrivel up in a corner by itself and die because its over. Although what shits me is i was hoping english would bring about my salvation in relation to my other exams that will definately not be of a high standard, although i have resigned myself to the fact that now all of my papers will not be of a high standard.

oh how i long fo the 9th of November..

Wow, i've been really negative. Well, cant say i was too pleased with my efforts, and i hope i serve to be some comfort for all of you who went well.
WTF you wrote 18 pages for BNW what the hell did you write

9 pages in 18 minutes i am in awe of your hand muscles

Glad about the three essays as i did not prepare a single other text type and also glad that I didn't bother to memorise my essay, but got up early and crammed instead. At least I was able to adapt something to the questions.

casvana.victor

HSC
I thought it was a realy great exam :S
i did BNW/BR , yeats and powerplay
i thought the powerplay and in the wild questions were really generic and basically let u write wateva u wanted.
the yeats was really specific but it was relavent. i think i did fairly well overall.
No more English eva!!!!!!!!
S C H O O L I E S !!!!!!

ashh

HSC
RingerINC said:
I think overall both papers this year have been put together well.

They were relatively stock questions with minor twists that forced people taking the exam to rething thier prewritten essays. I'm glad that the new buzzwords present in each of the questions threw some of the students who were less able to adapt their essay.

I think everyone's marks should represent their effort, those unable to adapt would have gotten owned.
good analysis. i was so cut bout the questions, but asked my tutor bout them n she sed wat i wrote was correct, so im happier...:cool:

was hard, but i guess theyre looking 2 challenge us...apparently heaps of ppl didnt no wat a nomad is (paper 1). ne1 in that boat? i was fine but frends had trouble. wulda been useful 2 put a definition there, like they sumtimes do...

daniel.graham

Artiste Extraordinaire
HSC
The whole thing was easyeasyeasy. Text types, anyone?

So... here's to uni. And coming out of it four years later, ready to teach English to high school students.

ali777

HSC
I thought that the questions were much easier than I had expected, my trial paper 2 was harder than the HSC paper 2, but that's probably normal.

The HSC was the first time I had actually studied for an English exam though, so that may have had something to do with it....who would have thought that studying worked??

:)

JBakaka

HSC
paper 2 was slightly better than paper 1- paper 1 had confusing texts but the essay was ok
paper 2 had a few confusing questions - frontline was prob the worst for me; my other texts were transformations - Chaucer PT / Raimi SP and Ondaatje In the skin.

mmc754

HSC
casvana.victor said:
I thought it was a realy great exam :S
i did BNW/BR , yeats and powerplay
i thought the powerplay and in the wild questions were really generic and basically let u write wateva u wanted.
the yeats was really specific but it was relavent. i think i did fairly well overall.
No more English eva!!!!!!!!
S C H O O L I E S !!!!!!
ummmmmmmmm .... ummmmmm we totally did all the same modules as you guys... and I totally 'crashed and burned' lol lol .. it could have something to do with my crap teacher. (dont say I cant blame him cause I can and will) .. I wrote a fair bit for BNW/BR ... yeats and powerplay were terrible.

sarzie89

HSC
i loved it. i thought the questions for my modules and texts were fantastic. lol, i think ive been the only person ive heard say that. i had basic essays planned, and everything fit in perfectly. i finished right on time and wrote all that i wanted to. very very happy with this paper... only one so far tho...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)