General Thoughts: ESL Paper 1 (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
How'd you all go?

y510920

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: General Thoughts: ESL

spent too much time in section 1, didn't write related text in section 2....so basically i screwed it up

muzeikchun852

HSC
text 1 - fine.
text 2 - not really clear in terms of how they portray the sense of community and belonging. but the questions were okay I think.
text 3 - fine.

essay - I practiced something like this in trial question so I was fine.

Last edited:

itznegarbabiii

HSC

unseen texts were alright :)
Essay was really good :D really easy question :)
How did you guys go with the transcript? I used two people, what did you guys do?

muzeikchun852

HSC
unseen texts were alright :)
Essay was really good :D really easy question :)
How did you guys go with the transcript? I used two people, what did you guys do?
it's an announcement isn't it ? you should only use one person, but I guess it depends on how you worded.

dadeng

HSC

at first 10 minutes, i have got all thoughts of all questions, and finished it very early, and i filled all lines.

before exam, i have known that esl is quite easy to analyse,

if text is about family, okay, beloning: there is a correct 'family relationship'.
if text is about community, okay, there is a 'connection'.
if text is about journey, okay there is a feeling of belonging to one's 'homeland'.
if text is about natural, okay, the composer must think he/she is 'part' of natural and natural is part of him/her.
if text is about history, okay, there is a social and cultural context.
if text is about personal narrative, okay there is often about how the composer changing her/his sense of not belonging to belonging. change over time~
if text is about bookcover, okay, connection/context/relationship/home..

therefore, i actually did not read whole story, just looking for those key words(family community people etc.) and then related to the above thoughts.

text 1 is about two main ideas:
the sense of belonging comes from connection with people and community.( Festival)
The importance of family relationship to a person's sense of belonging. ( fishing with family.)

text 2,
the composer has both negative and positive attitudes towards on 'Tribal Generation'.
eg. By using Rhethorical Question as a title, to imply his uncertaintiy attitude on 'Tribal Generation.'

Text 3
Flood Crisis, armys of angel,
by using many statistics, '5000 people 15000 force etc.' to describe as like army.
angel conveys a sense of hopness
their enthusiasm
using posistive quotation
sense of belonging comes from a feeling of connection with community and people.
people's relationship has shaped by social and cultural contexts.

for comparion
text 1 and text 3 all about sense of beloning comes from connection with community.
but their differnt form of structure that coneys different thoughts on sense of beloning. text 1 more about relationship with people, and text 3 more about connetion with community. (i forgot...)

long response
text 1 idea: making a festival can bring people together.
text 2 idea: internet can bring people together.
text 3 idea: natural disaster can bring people and communities together.
short announcement should include information contact and events that you choose.
I choose text 1 idea, and announce that Christmas is coming soon and hoping people to involve in. The events will be held in 'some places', and for more information, please check online, www.fkbelonging.com. ( 1-st person, and its short announcement, it isnt an interview, so two people will mark down. its like 'important news'.....i think.)

Essay,
it is the easiest one. its based on basic conception of sense of belonging.

so, it will be fine, but im so scared tmr~~listerning is my wrost enemy.

Last edited:

muzeikchun852

HSC
text 1 is about two main ideas:
the sense of belonging comes from connection with people and community.( Festival)
The importance of family relationship to a person's sense of belonging. ( fishing with family.)

text 2,
the composer has both negative and positive attitudes towards on 'Tribal Generation'.
eg. By using Rhethorical Question as a title, to imply his uncertaintiy attitude on 'Tribal Generation.'

Text 3
Flood Crisis, armys of angel,
by using many statistics, '5000 people 15000 force etc.' to describe as like army.
angel conveys a sense of hopness
their enthusiasm
using posistive quotation
sense of belonging comes from a feeling of connection with community and people.
people's relationship has shaped by social and cultural contexts.

for comparion
text 1 and text 3 all about sense of beloning comes from connection with community.
but their differnt form of structure that coneys different thoughts on sense of beloning. text 1 more about relationship with people, and text 3 more about connetion with community. (i forgot...)

long response
text 1 idea: making a festival can bring people together.
text 2 idea: internet can bring people together.
text 3 idea: natural disaster can bring people and communities together.
short announcement should include information contact and events that you choose.
I choose text 1 idea, and announce that Christmas is coming soon and hoping people to involve in. The events will be held in 'some places', and for more information, please check online, www.fkbelonging.com. ( 1-st person, and its short announcement, it isnt an interview, so two people will mark down. its like 'important news'.....i think.)

Essay,
it is the easiest one. its based on basic conception of sense of belonging.

so, it will be fine, but im so scared tmr~~listerning is my wrost enemy.
my answers are mostly the same as yours. except I said text 2 is negative by using negative emotive language and the self-distancing pronoun.

I said both positive and negative to start with. but as I thought more about it - the negative view has over powered the positive in the last paragraph, so I went with negative.

cheschirecat

Premium Member
HSC

my answers are mostly the same as yours. except I said text 2 is negative by using negative emotive language and the self-distancing pronoun.

I said both positive and negative to start with. but as I thought more about it - the negative view has over powered the positive in the last paragraph, so I went with negative.
Had similar responses except for this, I said it connoted a positive attitude, despite the fact that one paragraph was negative he goes on to say "But... something has happened" and mentions that the examples of negativities are exceptions.

Last edited:

aurine

HSC

Essay was a cake, but I was stuck on Section one second question, I somehow couldn't understand what the question ask. Oh well

Now I need to get supplementary text for voice, since I lost mine somehow - -

arisan

HSC

the space provided for the answers of the short answer questions was really small.. would the HSC markers ignore your answer or penalize you if your answers exceed the space?

y510920

HSC
Uni Grad

do you realise they have those little bracket things around the corners of the paper? thats the area where the markers will mark. Since esl paper is scanned and then marked electronically, anything written outside those little bracket things will not be scanned and therefore will not be seen by the marker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)