Genetics option (1 Viewer)

cccclaire

HSC
Slightly obscure questions I thought.

Like the butterfly question? What was that?

Anyone else feel the same way?

Graceful

HSC
I agree. What did they want us to talk about anyway in terms of the secondary sources?

eddy11

HSC
that was a wierd question, it was so unclear what they were asking

cccclaire

HSC
Secondary sources would be like checking the internet/scientific journals to find information on butterfly mutations.

I'm pretty sure this isn't anywhere on the syllabus though.

What did people do for their first hand investigations?

tau281290

HSC
Secondary Sources were from the internet or something like that. There is one in the option about secondary sources every yr.

First hand investigation, i did cross breeding. That's the only one i could think of..

DNA figerprinting butterflies? That sounds weird.

Graceful

HSC
Yeah i went off on some crazy long tangent about first crossing breeding the parents again to produce more offspring to look at the prevalence and also breeding the possibly mutated butterfly with a normal and looking at offspring... etc etc trying to make myself look like i knew what the hell the question wanted. Also consolidating any findings or researching butterfly mutations and the specific species on the net in the case of it being a recessive trait? 6 marks gone qq

ozsunny2

HSC
i did something random as
went and talked about getting the dna from each type of butterfly
and mixing it with complementary dna probes (possible made using the genome of the butterfuly found through secondary sources :S)

if it was a genetic mutation then the complemetary probe shouldnt really
attach to the dna of the long winged one :S ?

Justina

HSC
I found the option really hard :(

....don't think i studied it enough. I did some major BSing

cccclaire

HSC
ozsunny2 said:
i did something random as
went and talked about getting the dna from each type of butterfly
and mixing it with complementary dna probes (possible made using the genome of the butterfuly found through secondary sources :S)

if it was a genetic mutation then the complemetary probe shouldnt really
attach to the dna of the long winged one :S ?

I wrote DNA fingerprinting and comparing the offspring to the two parents.

blah. Such a random question.

Jaspal

HSC
I found the option pretty easy, but i agree that the questions were a bit broad and we didnt know exactly what they were after

gonutsmate

HSC
Yeah, my text book for genetics, has this special introductory part thats sort of like the syllabus.

It pretty much talks about all those questions and stuff about processing data and justifying research procedures and validity etc.

So thats essentially where that question comes from..

homijoe

HSC
hey guys im kinda worried, i wrote my student number and centre number on all the pages in the option answer book however im not sure if i wrote it on 2 pages that i wrote my answers on in the same booklet it would still be marked right ??

o7nesss

Behind that Tree
HSC
grrr..i went off on some tangent with the butterfly one...

Hugh2068

HSC
Graceful said:
Yeah i went off on some crazy long tangent about first crossing breeding the parents again to produce more offspring to look at the prevalence and also breeding the possibly mutated butterfly with a normal and looking at offspring... etc etc trying to make myself look like i knew what the hell the question wanted. Also consolidating any findings or researching butterfly mutations and the specific species on the net in the case of it being a recessive trait? 6 marks gone qq
I was exactly the same - Breed heaps, check for prevailance, if below 25% probably a mutation.

I said "alternatively", breed the mutated butterfly with others and then breed the offspring, but this would only really show if it was a somatic or germ line mutation.

Seccondary sources is just, " relevant scientific journals, checked reliability..." If there's no info on long wings, a mutation, if there is, recessive trait

h1958buglid

HSC
Yeah fuck BOS genetics was the only option that everyone isnt saying was "so easy" and from what it looks like everyone i know bullshitted half of it

L-esky

HSC
yeah, the option questions were pretty hard. I think I did OKAY in a couple of them (the 6 and 7 markers, phew) but I thought the questions just weren't really well written.

cli62

HSC
genetics questions were crap.. like wth, two questions on genetic mutations..

tau281290

HSC
I also went on about germ line cells and somatic cells. Ahhhhh!! only the markers can decide whether im right or wrong >.<

Marinatos

HSC
Yep. But reading through past papers, I thought all the genetics elective questions were pretty crap. I think I did alright though, but I doubt I'll be getting full marks in the elective like I did in the trial xp

DaveMuratore

HSC
The Worst thing about the butterfly question was the throwing in of 'secondary sources'. I had to pull things out of my ass for that one.

I'm glad the seven marker was so broad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)